Musical Instruments!

So where are all the musicians here at Pixar Planet?

I play both piano and alto saxophone. Well, I used to also play guitar and I took lessons, but I was really bad at it so I quit after a year, lol. :stuck_out_tongue:

Iā€™ve been playing piano for about 5 years, on and off. Itā€™s actually more like 2 years in total because I basically gave up playing piano altogether, and I only recently picked it up again. I took lessons for about half a year before quitting because I didnā€™t like taking lessons. Iā€™m now self taught, and I play mostly just for fun.

Iā€™m a lot more serious about playing alto saxophone, I take lessons and do contests and stuff like that, haha. My sax cost more than my baby grand, if that tells you anything! Iā€™ve been playing saxophone for about 3 years. I play in my schoolā€™s wind ensemble and jazz band, and I also play in a small jazz group I organized with some friends who are also into jazz (we just do small gigs at coffee shops and stuff like that.) I also play for the Cleveland Youth Wind Symphony.

Iā€™ve been learning Pixar soundtracks on the piano lately. I already have Married Life from Up down (haha up-down), and I also know the Axiom from Wall-E. Iā€™m in the process of learning Youā€™ve Got a Friend in Me. Iā€™ll probably post some videos soon!

So, who else plays an musical instrument? There has to be more than just me! :stuck_out_tongue:

awesome thread! I donā€™t think Iā€™ve ever seen a thread for musical instruments on here before!

I play bass guitar. Iā€™d say Iā€™ve played it for a total of a year, but thatā€™s cuz I kinda got bored with it when I first got it, and then I picked it up last November. Now I love it though! I play pretty much just for fun. I got asked to join my churchā€™s worship band butā€¦ yeah, I just wanted to play for fun and not get tied down to anything. I play mostly fast paced rock songs (cuz Iā€™ve already got so many freaking Green Day songs :laughing: )

I used to take piano lessons when I was in like, first grade, but I didnā€™t like it and I eventually got out of it. And now I canā€™t play anything on the piano except for a little bit that my step brother showed me :stuck_out_tongue:

I kinda want to learn to play the regular guitar too, but I donā€™t have any money, so thatā€™ll probably have to wait, but it looks really cool!

One Wordā€¦ PIANO!

Iā€™ve played the piano for about twelve years all in all, though not so much recently. I took up the violin about a year and a half ago and played for a year, though never got particularly good at it and ended up having to give up due to commitments to other things. I got up to about grade 6 but I hate music theory and the unnecessary pressure of the exams was, well, not necessary, especially when I had other more important exams to focus on.

My plan whilst at university is to take up the cello and to be taught by a fellow student, so itā€™ll be a lot cheaper and less of a commitment. Iā€™d love to be able to play in an orchestra one day, which is one of the things that playing the piano doesnā€™t really help with, so hopefully once Iā€™ve got the basic hang of playing the cello I can join the junior orchestra at university or something like that. My only other concern is bothering my neighbours with the sound of me playing badly. :laughing:

Playing the alto sax sounds like great fun, Ding, especially as you play in jazz bands and that sort of thing. Small gigs at coffee shops? Sounds like a dream!

I play piano and violin, Iā€™m really enjoying it, and Iā€™m also having fun trying to learn Pixar soundtracks as well, Iā€™m almost done learning Married Life for piano, I can play Stuff We Did on both piano and violin, and I can play a little bit of Nemo Egg.

I played the piano till Grade 7 before quitting to study for the GCE ā€˜Oā€™ Levels in Singapore (The SATS equivalent for Commonwealth countriesā€¦ thanks Britain! :unamused:). Then I never touched the piano for about four years. I only started picking it up again last year, but Iā€™m back to Grade One-Two levels. :frowning:

I like to play musical soundtracks. I would go to the Esplanade library and loan the music scoresheets and make photocopies. Or go online and look for 'em. :slight_smile:

I was forced to play the recorder for Music Class in Lower Secondary (Middle School). But I just ended up with a ā€˜drooling pipeā€™. xD

Clarinet, right here. Marching band is so great!!

Haha, I also had to learn the recorder, except for it was for elementary school! Here itā€™s like state law or something that you must learn the recorder, because basically every person Iā€™ve met has played the recorder for school. I completely forgot everything I learned, haha! :stuck_out_tongue:

I played the piano from when I was eight years old into a Freshman in high school. I was a master at Disney Princess songs. I had a piano book all about them and I could play them all.

I got too busy with school and too lazy to practice to continue, something I regret. I want to start up again and learn to play some of the score music from Gone With the Wind.

Oh and when I was in 5th grade, all the 5th grade students had the choice of choir or band. I choose band and played the clairinet.

Wow, lots of piano players on here! I used to play, between 1st and 5th grade I believeā€¦but I stopped taking lessons for some long-forgotten reason, and I donā€™t remember how to play at all now. :laughing: But Iā€™ve played the French Horn, of all things, since 4th grade.

Iā€™ve always wanted to learn to play the French Horn!

About time I find a thread like this. :slight_smile:

Many people here probably know about what talent I have as a soundtrack composer. :smiley:

As for my history with music, Iā€™ve been taking piano lessons since I was seven! Havenā€™t been as good with practicing, though. :confused:

My primary instrument, however, as many have guessed, some of whom actually know the name for it, is the synthesizer. :smiley: None of my compositions make any use of recordings of live instruments played at my place, the only possible exception being processing a recording of me yawning (and I AM quite a sleepy person in real life. :confused: But thatā€™s a different story). Most of my sounds actually even came right from my computer, as opposed to using MIDI for my hardware keyboard, thanks to third-party software. :smiley:

Yeah, I love it, even though playing for too long kinda hurts the lips because of my braces. :laughing: But it sounds awesome, so I donā€™t care!

And SgtYayap, thatā€™s really cool! And donā€™t worryā€¦I was really horrible with practicing the piano when I played it. Come to think of it, that actually might be why I stopped taking lessonsā€¦

Just a few months ago I took up guitar and piano! I am much better at pino, but I will be taking lessons in both very soon.

ā€¦

I can play:
~guitar
~piano
~harmonica
~recorder
~flute
~bass guitar
~12-string guitar
~violin

~a saxophone very soon.

Iā€™m a huge music person, as you can tell.

My best is guitar. The list of instruments are not in specific order.

:open_mouth: Thatā€™s a lotclaps frantically Iā€™m jealous. The Clarinet sounds like a kazoo with a tummy ache, and itā€™s the only thing I can play :confused:

Itā€™s just something I like. The thing about insturments is that you need a really strong dedication if you really want to learn. Itā€™s one of those ā€œWhat you give is what you get.ā€ things.

As for being able to know that many, I guess itā€™s like languages. Itā€™s hard for me to learn another. I canā€™t do it. Music just comes naturally just like the ability to learn more than one language.

Thatā€™s really impressive, haijessie! Youā€™re so right, what you put into it is what you get when it comes to musical instruments, and it does take a level of dedication to get far. So it seems like youā€™re a very dedicated person!

I have an electric keyboard, and I play in on occasion with different styles. Iā€™m actually not very good at it. I can play ā€œThe Imperial Marchā€ ā€œThe Throne Roomā€ and ā€œAcross the Starsā€ (from Star Wars), ā€œMoonlight Sonataā€ and ā€œFĆ¼r Eliseā€ (by Beethoven), the original Star Trek theme, and some songs by Krystal Meyers (I have a songbook for her first album). I also once knew how to play the opening of Chopinā€™s Etude 10 Op. 3.