Pixar Planet

What language would you like to learn?

Come here to talk about all the other stuff on your mind.

Moderators: Pixar Planet Moderators, The Brain Trust

Re: What language would you like to learn?

Postby Amy43 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:17 pm

ellie-jessie-eve wrote:That's exactly what happened with at my High School, only it was German.

Yeah, and I'm scared it will happen to OUR German classes too, years down the line. It's boring to only have Spanish to choose from. I even think having the three choices is boring. I want to learn Italian.
Last edited by ellie-jessie-eve on Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Watch the Quoting
ImageImage

My favorite Pixar characters are Randall, Gill, and Francesco! My avatar is Leonard from North by Northwest.
Amy43
AXIOM Crewmember

Postby ellie-jessie-eve » Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:38 pm

Amy43 wrote:Yeah, and I'm scared it will happen to OUR German classes too, years down the line. It's boring to only have Spanish to choose from. I even think having the three choices is boring. I want to learn Italian.

Yeah, they cut French before German at my school. Spanish will never be cut. There needs to be variety, I agree, and choices for students.
ellie-jessie-eve
Pixar Planet Moderator

Postby thedriveintheatre » Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:03 am

ellie-jessie-eve wrote:I wish they offered Portuguese!

I was at a bookstore of another university last week, and there were heaps of books on French, German, Spanish and Italian. I had to squat and stare at the last shelf at the bottom before I found two Portuguese dictionaries. :'(

I feel there are too many people at my uni taking Japanese and Mandarin. The former cos' it's cool and the latter cos' it's a future global superpower. I saw a Swahili dictionary the other day in Kinokuniya (a Japanese bookstore in the city) and I was so delighted - this was after all the language that inspired the names of the characters in The Lion King! Hurray for 'underdog' languages!

I'm pretty peed that 'Portuguese for Dummies' has the wrong pronunciation for 'r' - the book advocates it as 'd' (like pronouncing 'caipirinha' as kai-pee-din-yah), but according to other reviewers, other books pronounce it as 'r'! :evil: And I've been running around telling my friends and parents the supposed 'correct' pronunciation of the infamous drink.

I borrowed this book from the library recently. Brings back all those memories of those frustrating conjugation lessons at Alliance Francaise de Singapour. <3
TDIT wishes all Planeteers a merry Christmas and a happy New Year!
Enter the wild and wacky world of TDIT >>> YouTube ~ DeviantART ~ Tumblr
Watch the epic new trailer for GTA V.
thedriveintheatre
Pixar Planet Global Moderator

Postby Witch_of_Night » Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:32 pm

Amy43 wrote:I even think having the three choices is boring.

At least you have choices, we don't have any. I live in East Germany, the former German Democratic Republic, and we only learn English and Russian at my school as those were the only languages thaught back then. So it's easier to find an English or Russian teacher than a teacher for any other languages. Although I heard another school around here has a French teacher.
I personally would like to learn French, Spanish, Portugese and Italian.
Witch_of_Night
Toy Collector

Postby Sealy » Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:46 pm

We have foreign language in our grade school and its horrible. But I think its just the teacher.
ImageIm A Pixarteer
Sealy
AXIOM Crewmember

Postby Amy43 » Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:00 pm

Sealy wrote:We have foreign language in our grade school and its horrible. But I think its just the teacher.

What is it with foreign language teachers?? 8D It seems like a lot of them are like that, especially French teachers!
ImageImage

My favorite Pixar characters are Randall, Gill, and Francesco! My avatar is Leonard from North by Northwest.
Amy43
AXIOM Crewmember

Postby Sealy » Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:06 pm

Mine is crazy! And we switch languages in the middle of the year.
ImageIm A Pixarteer
Sealy
AXIOM Crewmember

Postby ellie-jessie-eve » Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:21 pm

My German teacher was from Italy.
ellie-jessie-eve
Pixar Planet Moderator

Postby Pixarfan91 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:22 pm

I want to learn some Japanese.
But what if Andy gets another dinosaur? A mean one? I just don't think I can take that kind of rejection. Im a OFFICIAL PIXARTEER Image Image
Pixarfan91
Super Hero

Postby rockys5540 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:08 am

I would like to learn Spanish.
rockys5540

Postby Snipe » Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:10 pm

I'd like to learn German someday. Other languages that interest me are Swiss, Italian, Japanese, Chinese, Dutch, and Portuguese. 8)
I'm leader of the Pixarteers! :D Check out my graphics or my random and Pixar art ;)
Snipe
Master Scarer

Postby ellie-jessie-eve » Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:53 pm

Snipe wrote:I'd like to learn German someday. Other languages that interest me are Swiss, Italian, Japanese, Chinese, Dutch, and Portuguese. 8)

Yay! I approve. German is a great language. However, Swiss is not a language. Switzerland's four national languages are German, French, Italian, and Romansh.
ellie-jessie-eve
Pixar Planet Moderator

Postby Snipe » Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:11 pm

ellie-jessie-eve wrote:However, Swiss is not a language. Switzerland's four national languages are German, French, Italian, and Romansh.

Oh. Well, my bad. :oops: :lol:

ellie-jessie-eve wrote:Yay! I approve. German is a great language.

Yup. My last name is German, and my grandpa is German. I don't think I've actually got any German blood, though. :roll:
I'm leader of the Pixarteers! :D Check out my graphics or my random and Pixar art ;)
Snipe
Master Scarer

Postby ellie-jessie-eve » Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:28 pm

Snipe wrote:
ellie-jessie-eve wrote:Yay! I approve. German is a great language.

Yup. My last name is German, and my grandpa is German. I don't think I've actually got any German blood, though. :roll:

Well, if your Grandpa is your biologcial one, then you are German. Its cool if you don't want to answer. My Grandpa isn't my biological one. So by blood I'm 1/4 Mexican, but I consider the Grandpa I was raised with make sme 1/4 Italian.

And Germany is great! I hope to go someday, I took three years of German, and I plan to one day take my dad there to the ancestral hometowns of our ancestors who came over around 100 years ago. My Great Grandfather actually came over 100 years ago this month through Ellis Island. His immigration papers say his nationality is Russian and race is German.
ellie-jessie-eve
Pixar Planet Moderator

Postby Snipe » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:23 pm

^ Yeah, I don't mind. :) My grandpa that I was refering to isn't my biological one. That's what I was trying to say earlier, but for some reason the word "biological" was escaping me. :lol: And that's really cool you know that much about your ancestry... I really don't know hardly anything about mine. I have no idea who my real grandpa is on my dad's side, and my mom's family is so mixed up there's no way to tell. Although I do know that I've got some Native American in me (I believe Cherokee) and I think some Scot or Irish. 8)
Snipe
Master Scarer

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic