Pixar Planet

What language would you like to learn?

Come here to talk about all the other stuff on your mind.

Moderators: Pixar Planet Moderators, The Brain Trust

Re: What language would you like to learn?

Postby Badger » Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:05 pm

ellie-jessie-eve wrote:That's awesome that you know some basic Japanese! I hope you become fluent some day!

Well, basic? I can only really say 'I love Donkey Kong' and recognize a few words. xD But thanks, I hope so too!
Badger
AXIOM Crewmember

Postby Vincent Liu » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:30 am

I'm a native Chinese speaker, I'm trying to learn better English skills, and I'm learning German at school.
Vincent Liu
Shark Bait

Postby LovePixar » Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:53 pm

One language that I've always wanted to learn is Italian. I know how to say some words in Italian however I've always wanted to learn more of the language! :D x
LovePixar
Garbage Boy

Postby Anye » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:51 pm

I can speak English and also Cantonese as my family speaks it. However because I mainly use English, my Cantonese is pretty poor compared to them. My parents can also speak Mandarin too - which I'd love to learn as well. I'd also love to be able to read and write Chinese - but it'd be so difficult!

Besides wanting to be better with canto/mandarin, I am currently learning French and would love to be fluent in it too! I would also love to learn Korean or/and Japanese c:

If only I could learn that many languages...
Anye

Postby Leirin » Sat Nov 03, 2012 6:10 pm

Lately, I really want to actually *learn* Japanese. It's mainly because I've got lots of Japanese people communicating with me now, and they're actually striving to learn English— but I barely know any of their language! I think it'd be great to actually hold a conversation with one of them someday without having to go to Google Language Tools every few minutes. 8D A pipe dream...
"Is it all gonna be this interactive?"
Leirin
Piston Cup Champion

Postby Vincent Liu » Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:11 pm

Anye wrote:I can speak English and also Cantonese as my family speaks it. However because I mainly use English, my Cantonese is pretty poor compared to them. My parents can also speak Mandarin too - which I'd love to learn as well. I'd also love to be able to read and write Chinese - but it'd be so difficult!

Besides wanting to be better with canto/mandarin, I am currently learning French and would love to be fluent in it too! I would also love to learn Korean or/and Japanese c:

If only I could learn that many languages…

Though Cantonese is a branch of Chinese, I still can understand a word of it. I also can't understand a word of what someone from 山東 says.
Vincent Liu
Shark Bait

Postby S 330 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:42 am

ykfdf wrote:That's an impressive number of languages though, you shouldn't feel bad about mentioning them

Incoherency detected. Spambot plausible.
Artificially Intelligent Pixarteer
Deviantart Page
S 330
AXIOM Crewmember

Location: No clue! it looks somewhat like a train station...but with plug jacks and no trains?

Postby Spirit of Adventure » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:54 pm

Thanks. I took care of it. He is no more.
Spirit of Adventure
Pixar Planet Moderator

Postby ellie-jessie-eve » Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:02 am

So I'm changing my major to International Business. I love history, but this is more practical. Also what I really want to do is to travel, and after graduating join the Peace Corps. So this would be an excellent major.

My minor is Latin American Studies. To be competitive for my future job, I need to know 2-3 languages. I'm going to continue learning Spanish, and start learning Portuguese. For my major, it's required to Study Abroad. I'm shooting for Brazil!
ellie-jessie-eve
Pixar Planet Moderator

Postby Spirit of Adventure » Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:22 pm

Nice! We will talk in Spanish then! 8D
Spirit of Adventure
Pixar Planet Moderator

Postby ellie-jessie-eve » Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:01 am

Yes! Man, I am so bad with Spanish. I took three semesters, and got As in all of them. Last semester I even gave a 15 minute presentation in Spanish and wrote an essay in Spanish. I can read Spanish fine and understand it. But I have trouble speaking and writing it on the spot. I felt so inadequate in my Spanish 3 class. Everyone knew so much more than me, and some even were from Mexico or traveled Costa Rica or studied abroad in Paraguay. And then there was me, can barely construct a sentence!

But I think living in a foreign country will definitely help me get past insecurities and force me to practice. Because I definitely do what to be fluent in another language.
ellie-jessie-eve
Pixar Planet Moderator

Postby LQstudiesPixar » Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:10 am

ellie-jessie-eve wrote:Yes! Man, I am so bad with Spanish. I took three semesters, and got As in all of them. Last semester I even gave a 15 minute presentation in Spanish and wrote an essay in Spanish. I can read Spanish fine and understand it. But I have trouble speaking and writing it on the spot. I felt so inadequate in my Spanish 3 class. Everyone knew so much more than me, and some even were from Mexico or traveled Costa Rica or studied abroad in Paraguay. And then there was me, can barely construct a sentence!

But I think living in a foreign country will definitely help me get past insecurities and force me to practice. Because I definitely do what to be fluent in another language.

Oh my gosh, I'm exactly the same way! I had to take three years of Spanish in high school, and sometimes I felt out of place being in the minority in school which was the non-native speakers. Luckily, my parents can speak it and were able to help me. Yeah, I agree that reading and understanding the language becomes a synch after a while especially with so many cognates and all. Plus, my teachers always loved my Spanish essays which I did without pretty much any help. The third year was my hardest though because it required so much more speaking and all. I will totally mess it up especially if it's on the spot. However, my dad did say I didn't do bad speaking it the other day to one of my friend's mom the other day. A good sign I guess, but I still need to practice for several more years.

Aw, don't feel bad! As long as you understand it and have people who are willing to help you, you'll be able to speak it fluently soon enough, within a few years or maybe even less. That's what I'm going to try and do for myself.
LQstudiesPixar
AXIOM Crewmember

Postby ellie-jessie-eve » Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:46 am

Thank you for the encouragement! Since we both live in states with heavy Mexican populations, there is a lot of opportunity to use Spanish. Which should be helpful, but I'm so shy!
ellie-jessie-eve
Pixar Planet Moderator

Postby LQstudiesPixar » Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:04 am

Oh, your welcome! I mean, I'm shy too but there's no pressure to use the language right away or anything. At least we have some sort of a handle on Spanish. It's likely that a person will use the language at some point when they're most comfortable. Usually, things like that just come to me, and at unexpected times, but I just keep rolling with it when it happens best I can.
LQstudiesPixar
AXIOM Crewmember

Postby Spirit of Adventure » Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:04 pm

I think I've seen this before, but Spanish is a very complex and rich language that sadly has been botched by so many of its native speakers.

I would love to have access to you in a social network so we could help you out with some things, because we've always been good at speaking proper Spanish. Sadly, we don't have :(
Spirit of Adventure
Pixar Planet Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic