Chinese Zodiac: which year/element are you?

Once again, just something for fun. Nothing to take very seriously. But it’s Chinese new year.

So it is now officially my chinese animals year! (The year of the Rabbit). Being born in September 1987 (yup I’m definitly one of the older ones here regularly). I am also apparently a ‘Fire Rabbit’ which can be seen here. Apparently this makes me a bit more prone to ‘tantrums’ than the average rabbit but generally rabbits are supposedly those who prefer to avoid conflict:

chinesezodiac.com/rabbit.php

[i]Personality"Occupying the 4th position in the Chinese Zodiac, the Rabbit symbolizes such character traits as creativity, compassion, and sensitivity. Rabbits are friendly, outgoing and prefer the company of others. They also prefer to avoid conflict. In confrontational situations, Rabbits approach calmly and with consideration for the other party. Rabbits believe strongly in friends and family and lacking such bonds can lead to emotional issues.

Their serene nature keeps Rabbits from becoming visibly upset. Because they’re serene animals, Rabbits are easily taken advantage of. Their sensitive nature makes them shy away from aggressive or competitive situations. They’re overall conservative and not interested in taking risks.

Classy, sophisticated, expressive, well-mannered and stylish, those born under the Sign of the Rabbit enjoy leaning about cultural issues and learning about people from other countries. Rabbits are most comfortable being home, and their homes are always neat and organized. Home is also where Rabbits prefer to entertain. Rabbits are conservative in their decorating tastes.

Rabbits should work at building more self-confidence and self-worth so they can feel more secure. The desire for remaining in safe, comfortable environments keeps Rabbits from taking risks which sometimes causes them to miss out on good opportunities." [/i]

My place. It is not neat or organised. That’s all I’ll say though. So they kind of messed up some things and not just that IMO but ah well.

You can also calculate and see your own year (and also find which ‘element’ you are on the page listed). Simply put in your date of birth:

chinesezodiac.com/calculator.php

I still remember learning about the story back in primary school, and being slightly jealous of my sister who was born in the year of the dragon. :laughing:

But still when you think about this means the rabbit beat a dragon in the race even if it didn’t come first! Must have been some rabbit. :laughing:

Anyway if you want to, state what year you’d be under here.

Being of Chiinese decsent, I love to look back at the Chinese zodiac calendar. I know I was born in the year of the snake.

I was born in 1997, the year of the Ox.
Oddly enough, my father is an Ox as well,he was born in '61.

The description of the Oxen’s personality is pretty much spot-on, especially this bit:

:wink:

Wow, you’re '89 as well, TSS? Awesome sauce.

My description sorta fits me. I mean, I’m intelligent (at least, I like to think so :stuck_out_tongue:) and very meticulous… I get bored easily, I like to offer advice… not sure if I’m exactly a seducer! XD

I remember reading this book in high school called ‘The Cat that Went to Heaven’. It’s a great short book about how the Zodiac came about (and why the cat is not one of the twelve animals).

When I discovered my Zodiac sign when I turned 12 (the cycle goes in 12 years), I took an interest in finding out more about my zodiac sign. Needless to say, it sparked my interest in snakes and herpetology. :slight_smile:

That’s interesting TDIT!

Yeah three of my flate mates are also in that year (the snake)- I’m the only rabbit in my dorms. Plus people a few years older than me which are various other animals, the eldest (who is Chinese herself- in fact half my flatmates are from China so they had a fair few people over last night) is turning 28 this year which makes her a ‘Boar’.

I only vaguely remembered the story, so I looked it up again and apparently there was a reason why a dragon (which can FLY came 5th), which is actually kind of cute. Apparently the rabbit got there before because the dragon was kind and helped- the rabbit unable to swim hopped on rocks, hopped ona log which was almost going to kill him as it drifted off course- the dragon instead used it’s powers to help guide the log to the shore helping the rabbit out.

That’s adorable really. There’s also a story about the feast- and how instead the rat tricked the cat not by pushing him off the ox they were on top of but by telling him the feast was on a different date. Granted the story almost makes me want to write something about the aftermath of the race myth.

A rabbit being friends with a dragon sounds hilarious for some reason (even if dragons are more intelligent and merciful in eastern mythology), plus the rabbit in personality to the zodiac seems like someone who’d feel sorry for the ‘cat’. Plus the rabbit is least compatible with a Rat too in the zodiac along with the rooster. (Disapproval?)

Maybe that’s just my over-active imagination though… :laughing:

There’s also a story where thirteen animals were the only ones to say good-bye to Buddha and thus each granted a year. Though it didn’t say why the cat was left out where I read that.

Wow. I’m a pig.

Okay. I wouldn’t call myself diligent or compassionate, but I agree with the entertaining part. I exist to make other people happy and laugh.

P.S. rock-itpop, I’m so jealous of yours!! :frowning:

Since i’m keen on getting the whole details, i’m a rooster!

COCK-A-DOODLE-DOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Chinese Zodiac - Rooster

Personality
Occupying the 10th position in the Chinese Zodiac, the Rooster symbolizes such character traits as confidence, pompousness and motivation. Those born under the Chinese Zodiac sign of the Rooster are loyal, trustworthy individuals who are blunt when it comes to offering their opinions. Their bluntness stems not from being mean but from being honest; a trait which Roosters expect from others.

Roosters are extremely sociable and prefer being the center of attention, always bragging about themselves and their accomplishments. They continually seek the unwavering attention of others which can be annoying. Roosters are as proud of their homes as they are of themselves. They’re extremely organized individuals as evidenced by the fact that their homes are always neat.
Health
Overall, Roosters are active individuals and their preference to be active helps keep them in good health. When they do become ill, they feel better quickly. They can at times however, take on too much and when that happens, they’ll feel stressed and moody.
Career
Roosters are highly motivated and hard-working; traits that enable most Roosters to have successful careers. Not surprisingly, Roosters make good actors, musicians and dancers. Other good career choices for Roosters include: CPA, banker, dentist, insurance agent, secretary, and book keeper. Roosters also do well in the armed forces.
Relationships
The Rooster’s bossiness and honest “tell it like it is” approach doesn’t work well with sensitive individuals. Roosters need to partner with those who are tough-skinned. They’re the individuals most capable of realizing that beneath the tough exteriors are huge, caring hearts overflowing with love.

I’m also the water rooster, one that works with tough individuals with a caring heart underneath as such.

Hey guys, speaking of the Chinese zodiac, have a happy Chinese New year! Or as my family said it, “Gong hay Fat Choy!!!” Let us celebrate the year of the Rabbit!

You must be cantonese, TSS. :stuck_out_tongue: I think the Mandarin version goes like “Gong Xi Fa Cai.”

To all Planeteers, Xin Nian Kuai Le, Shen Ti Jian Kang, Wan Shi Ru Yi.*

*Happy New Year, Good Health, and Success in all Endeavours.

I’m a Goat.

Personality
Occupying the 8th position in the Chinese Zodiac, the Goat (or Sheep) symbolizes such character traits as creativity, intelligence, dependability, and calmness. Comfortable being alone to ponder the workings of their inner minds, Goats enjoy being part of a group, but prefer the sidelines rather than the center. Their nurturing personality makes Goats excellent care-givers. They’re quite and reserved because they spend much time absorbed in their thoughts.

Home and alone is where Goats feel most comfortable. There they can express themselves artistically, whether it’s by painting, cooking or participating in whatever artistic endeavors they enjoy. Goats prefer the couch because there they can relax and explore their minds. They don’t need elaborate furnishings; only items reflecting their desire for art.

When traveling or seeking entertainment, Goats prefer groups or venues that hold many people. Goats spend money on fashions that give them a first class appearance. Although Goats enjoy spending money on the finer things in life, they are not snobbish.

Health
Perhaps because Goats are basically serene, they tend to have fewer health problems. Their fragile exterior hides the fact they’re typically very healthy. When they’re happy, they’re healthy. When Goats become unhappy, especially as a result of romance, they quickly become sick.

Relationships
Goats tend to be private, so it can take effort to get to know one. The Goat is the one who will decide when and with whom it will share its personal life. As a result, most Goats have few “close” friends, yet they’ll work hard for those they love.

Career
Goats at work prefer being part of a flock. Power and status aren’t important. Goats will only assume leadership roles when asked directly. They’ll never volunteer. Good career choices for Goats include: florist, interior designer, daycare teacher, pediatrician, actor, editor, hair stylist, illustrator, musician, and art history teacher.

Some things really fit to my personality, while others don’t :slight_smile:

Welcome to the thread, Goat_Of_Night!

To be honest, I’ve always known that I’m Chinese instead of specifically cantonese. But thanks dude!

I’ve never really liked my Chinese Zodiac (The Monkey). I never felt that it applies to me. I’m apperently the Water Monkey. I do get distracted a lot.

Water Monkey – Years 1932 and 1992
Water Monkeys are extremely sensitive and often feel hurt by the things that are said to them. They refuse to show their sensitive side to others and as a result, are extreme jokesters. If they can stay focused, they can succeed, but more often than not, they’re easily distracted from their goals.

looks like someone is 71 years older than me. :smiley:

I’m the Water Monkey, like ellie-jessie-eve.
chinesezodiac.com/monkey.php
But I think the description fits me (so does the most part of the simple Monkey description).
And I’m really easily distracted and awfully sensitive. I hate it, I feel stupid when I can’t stand criticism and offence. :confused:

I’m a Water Rooster like somethingguy912 :slight_smile:

Sa-weet!

I almost forgot this but in Vietnam my year (and this year) is actually the year of the CAT rather than the rabbit- partially people think because the translations of these two sound the same and Vietnam decided not to change there’s in line with the Chinese tale (in theirs the cat knows how to swim in the big race). Also because in farming in Vietnam doesn’t have much of an opinion on rabbits but love cats because well, they chased the vermin away and caught them so were useful too.

Anyone a dragon?

I am, that was my high school mascot! But on the Zodiac calender, I’m not! :smiley:

My little brother is!