The Book of Mormon (musical)

This is the best musical in nearly three years.

It’s been almost three years since Dr. Horrible, right?

Well, it’s definitely the best BROADWAY musical since Avenue Q.

Um…

I guess so.

But I’m baptist and plus i havent seen it so I wouldn’t know for sure.

I have heard of it. I don’t know what my theatre junkie friends think of it though.

Honestly, I’m nervous about this. It doesn’t matter, because I would never have an opportunity to see it anyway. I just wonder if they’re making fun of religion in the play, and if so, why? Is that necessary?

They May not be making fun of it. I have two high school friends who are Mormon. And one of their dads created a small film that was kind of a combination between the book of Mormon and doctor who.
Now I’m not mormon. I’m baptist. So I dont believe the same things. But that could be what their doing.

I don’t think that this play is offensive. If it was, then that would be extremely controversial to be published and released to the public.

I wouldn’t say that TSS. Controversy can sometimes mean a lot of money, and religion has that by the buckets. It’s a touchy and controversial subject for many after all. Plus Mormonism is what people (including by some general christians or those of other relgious beliefs) can often consider ‘acceptable targets’- you mention mormonism and you get a lot of polygamy jokes for example (even though well, they don’t generally do that any more from what I gather). Plus freedom of speech means nothing is beyond criticism or even mockery and that includes religion. That’s fine though- I mean that same freedom of speech means people can criticise something as well or even criticise someones said critcism. It goes both ways. But overall there’s almost nothing which will park seats and sell tickets like say if the Catholic church or some other religious sect wants to ban something or think something is offensive to their beliefs- then people want to see what all the fuss is about. Sometimes it just draws peoples attention to it existing and thus becomes a big hit. It’s like free advertising almost.

But heck it doesn’t even have to be intentionally offensive for SOMEONE to kick up offense anyway. Like I said religion is a touchy subject for many.

I think it’s possible this is not something to be taken as positive to Mormonism
and perhaps will not cast Mormonism in the best light. But then they’ve had musicals based on bible stories which weren’t mockeries too so it could go either way.

Well. Yeah we “Christians” are often mocked by the world.
And we even disagree with each other too might I add.
I’m a baptist (note I say the denomination name to avoid confusion. Otherwise I’d say I’m a christian and you’d ask well what type? Catholic, Mormon, protestant?) and I do not agree with the things mormons and Catholics believe.
Same with them. They don’t believe what each other or what i think.
Non-believers bank on what we believe to make fun of the religion.

I remember hearing on the radio (news) that some comedian said that the christians way of saying _________ you was “I’ll pray for you”.

I wasn’t happy after that.

They’re gonna mock us until we give up and hide in our corners away from the world or give in and become like them.

It’s the problem with sin…and it’ll stay that way till Christ takes over.

On the other note it could have been hosted by Mormons.
Remember my one mormon friends father created a knock off of the book of Mormon based off of a time machine movie about two kids who went into the past to bring historical figures to the present (I dont remember the name).
So it could just be a humorous spoof.

Well you believe Christ will take over, I don’t think it will happen at all. Just being honest there.

In any case yes I am well aware that Christians believe a variety of things and disagree on matters I mean I was riased by them- hence why ‘SOME general christians’. I was raised in an otherwise nice church, but that didn’t stop the little leaflets about both Mormons and Jehovah’s Winesses which were… slightly condescending. Plus silly actually considering the fact one has to acknowledge THEY believed just as hard as many christians do that they were right and our church was wrong. The kind of mockery which can go on with no trace of irony as they say such things - well It’s not even something you can say belongs to a specific sect or church which may follow in christinaity but even just what individuals do. There’s likely a few in every church which secretly mock or at least pity mormons and JW’s- and vice versa “If only they knew the truth as I know it!”…

In general as western society advances it is not there to favour one religious belief over the other. This is in fact a GOOD thing. There is no insomountable proof stating one religion as somehow being more likely to be true than another all for one thing after all. They all have a CHANCE of being true, and every religion is equal in terms of chances of being true no matter what one persons gut feeling or how they feel they know their religion is true over the other. So not only would it be utterly wrong- it wouldn’t even make any sense. I mean I don’t believe in any of them- but they have the exact same chance as being true as the next religion or heck even religions and gods which are not worshipped anymore. People might find these beliefs both present and past rediculous sometimes- even those who believe things which seem equally impossible to someone ekse- and there is sometimes a distinct lack of putting yourself in the other persons shoes which I don’t like sometimes in life. Laughing that someone believes in Jesus as their saviour and then believing in Allah as if that means the other person blind or stupid and that you’re somehow better would be idiocy in of itself- as is the reverse. I also think it would be wrong to hurl abuses at people simply for being one or the other. Jokes and pokes can be okay sometimes but people can go too far sometimes. There’s a line between being funny or being honest and just being plain cruel to people.

In any case with two people in opposing belief systems- They both simply believe in different things but ultimately with current evidence- neither religion has a higher likelihood of being right than the other. That may change one day but that’s still the truth of the matter now. Still feeling to be insulted (bar obvious hate crimes) I think is better than having all insults banned. Everyone can call someone on the others BS or alternatively BS their BS. So people can criticise the stuff which they feel insults them which is important to protect too. But christianity is not abused in much of the Western world- it is still in power in America and has a large amount of influence. Some say far too much. So Christinaity is not suffering there and can I think deal with some jokes. Not to say people aren’t allowed allowed to be insulted by them and actuallysay this (they should be allowed to say so) but still to say that Christians are persecuted in America would be silly. And America is still currently the most powerful country in ther world. (Assuming you’re from America anyway and you know what they say about assumptions… so I apologise if you’re from somewhere where there is REAL persecution and hope that you recieve the protection and rights you deserve, though that goes without saying and goes for every person on earth…)

What is necessary in society however is to make the kind of decisions which benefit people in this life- it has to be imagined even if people believe otherwise- that this is the only life we have and the only thing we will be leaving behind us. We overall have to imagine ourselves in other peoples position more. In my view- if you dish it out, you also have to be able to take it too! Otherwise you shouldn’t be even trying.

Overall people have freedom of speech in America. Perople (technically) can criticise what they want and under the law nothing is REALLY sacred which is a good thing really.

Christians are certainly persecuted in the world. Just not in America and haven’t been in a very long time if ever. They’re the onesmost likely to be in power after all- but has to be understood that things cannot be made and laws simply made to suit one religious groups benefit (as I said even in a diverse religion like christinaity) . Jokes and honest criticism aren’t the same as being jailed and tortured for what you believe.

In any case we’d ultimately get things like the Blasphemy law in the Rep of Ireland- which not only is unworkable anyway (since almost ANYTHING can insult someones individual beliefs about god or gods) but is actually pretty disturbing in that it even exists in a western country.

I am not a fan of Book of Mormon for two reasons: A)I’m all for satire if it’s done in an original and interesting way, but making fun of Mormons has been done to death and the show doesn’t break any new ground, and B) It swept the Tony’s in a year when Sister Act should have swept them.

As you can tell from my sig, I’m a big fan of this musical. I’ve always been a fan of Matt and Trey’s work, and was very happy when I heard they were hitting Broadway. Trey is a music major, and I’ve loved his songs in the South Park movie. It’s about time he put those talents to the stage.

I sadly didn’t see the musical when I visited New York this year, but I did see the theatre where it’s playing and took a picture in front of it.

I am from a religious background. I didn’t find anything really offensive about it. To me, the moral of the story isn’t anti religion, it’s pro religion if anything. It’s even if religion is false and God doesn’t exist, religion does provide important aspects in our society, even if some parts of it are silly.

I can’t really choose a favorite song, and I’m can’t wait for it’s national tour next year! I’m seeing it with my youth group! 8D

I love one of the taglines on advertisements for this musical - “God’s Favorite Musical” :laughing:

@mentalguru (your post is so long I don’t want to quote it 8D )

I could run you through the bible, the book of mormon, and the many other religeous books to show you the conflict and why the bible bests them all.

But I won’t.

As I respect forum rules and try to abstain from saying too much on it for that reason.

So! Thats that. Time for this baptist to leave it as is.

EJE: have you seen the musical before? Or have you yet to see it?

I haven’t seen the actual musical! But I have the whole soundtrack, and I love the music. Plus the scene they acted out at the Tony Awards really impressed me.

Now you’ve got me curious. Now I might want to give it a listen.

You should! The whole soundtrack is on youtube.

thanks EJE. I’ll give it a listen. :smiley:

No prob, let me know what you think of it.

I had the great privilege to see this film las month (for free!)

A terrific experience. This musical is deserving of all of the praise that it has received.

It was hilarious and had meaning as well.

I love listening to the soundtrack, but seeing it on stage was a killer experience.