No capes!

I now know, first hand, WHY Edna was so insistent about no capes!

This week is spirit week at school. Tuesday was superhero day. I wore bright pink shoes, sparkley tights, red shorts, a pink shirt with a big peace sign on it, and a long red pillow case as a cape. When I got in my car to drive to school, the first thing I did was get my cape got in the door. Edna was right.

Oh boy, intresting story SwimChick. Good thing that it isn’t anything fatal or serious. :laughing: :wink: Edna was right about capes being a fashion disaster waiting to happen.

Interesting story, SwimChick17. :slight_smile: Capes are sooo out of style for supers, because they slow you down. Whenever I watch a superhero movie besides the Incredibles (like Sky High, or Underdog, for instance), and notice their capes, I just wonder if their capes would soon fail them. 8D

The interesting thing is, the superhero in what must be the most successful film up to date, ever, had no problems with his cape. Sure, Christine Bale had problems with his spouse - but the cape of The Dark Knight, it is still blowing smoothly.

Haha, cool story, SwimChick17. Guess Edna was right then! :laughing:

WBoon- I think the reason why Batman has never had any trouble with his cape is that he doesn’t have any real superpowers, so the cape can’t slow him down when he’s flying or anything like that. Though it must be a tad annoying when he’s beating up bad guys!

8D ROFLOL! 8D

I also saw a video on America’s Funniest Home Videos where two girls were dressed like superheroes, and were swinging on swings. Then they flew off, and one of the girls’ towels (the “cape”, i presume) got stuck in the swing, and it pulled her back, almost choking her. :open_mouth:

Edna should publish some Super Safety thing. :laughing:

I’m not sure if Edna will approve of this idea, but what about adding some sort of “cape Ejector” on their Super Suit if the hero desires a cape? if it gets yanked too hard, the cape just snaps off.

Too risky, dahling!

Tell that to Syndrome. :wink:

Edna, Edna, Edna. Are you never wrong? On fashion, on Bob’s gained weight, on supermodels, and now capes.

Superman even got killed by a cape.

A113: I don’t think so. If the cape sustains too much force, the cape will just snapp off of the super suit, not nessecarily the neck of the super.

What was the voice-over of that video? Did they mention TI at all? (just curious).
I played pretend with my sister a lot of times with a “cape”, and it slows me down because it keeps on getting stepped on.

You know, now whenever I see something about superheros and they’re wearing capes I always think of that scene! It’s like “No! No capes! You’ll be sorrrrry!”

Hmm… good point, TSS. And what if the cape were to have some sort of purpose instead of just acting as an accessory? Like, allowing a super that can’t fly to have some gliding ability?

Violet Parr: Good idea, or, what if the cape was used as a weapon of some sort?

Batman’s cape is a psychological weapon. The point of his costume is to terrify criminals so they’ll be less rational when fighting back or simply give up. The cape completes idea of a giant bat as well as allowing him to hide in shadows and making him appear much larger.

The Star Swordsman- Maybe. It might be hard to use a cape as a weapon, but definitely not impossible :wink: . Maybe it could also act as a shield, deflecting bullets and other firearms and bouncing them back at the shooter. Or, for Violet, it could turn invisible and help her conceal certain objects instead of devoting a large amount of her concentration and energy trying to turn it invisible herself.

Fett101- Actually, I was thinking of Batman when I said that :laughing: . I think it also allows him to fly. But I never thought of it that way. That’s a very good point.