Symbolism?????

I’ve noticed that Mirage looks exactly like the human incarnation of a snake, and Helen’s head, when tilted to the right, looks like a heart(b/c of her hair.) Syndrome’s hair looks like flame, maybe hell. I think these symbolize these character’s roles, or even relationship to Bob. Any thoughts???

I agree with you there, IncredigirlVirginia. It’s a common idea for animators to design characters in a way that reflects their personality, so as you’ve pointed out for example, Syndrome has bright, tall, fiery hair that reflects his short temper and Mirage is thin and snake-like, reflecting how she’s sly and tricks Mr. Incredible. Another example could be Violet, whose dark hair reflects her shy and sometimes dark personality.

It’s a very good technique as it allows the audience to judge what a character might be like even before they actually do anything, reinforcing their personality all the more.

I certainly agree with you! It makes perfect sense to design a character in such a way. That way, the story is told and driven home even better.

Thanks for not thinking i’m on acid, guys!! I’m glad I wasn’t seeing things b/c I wanted to.

That’s a pretty cool observation. I never thought of it that way.

Yeah, that is a neat observation Incredigirl. I never thought about it that way, but I see that you’re totally right!

Thanks!! I just thought Mirage always kind of looked slimey to me, and then I noticed her shape, and I went crazy from there.

We’re studying sybolism in my english class, Catcher in the Rye. I like the novel, but I hate finding all the examples of symbolism… :frowning: Anyway, ya, I see what you mean. Pretty much all the characters in The Incredibles have a physical trait that pertains to some part of their personality.

Yeah, I agree, they do!

-Edna-short, big personality
-Violet- long, dark hair, self conceious and unhappy
-Helen-heart shaped hair, I think it means love interest, call me crazy
-Dash-slim, short, crazy hair, full of energy and spontaneity
-Syndrome-fiery hair, short fuse(like Hades?!?!?!)
-Mirage-slender, shiny, (possibly slimey and gross :smiling_imp: ), seductive and deceptive
-finally, -Bob-tall, bright eyes and hair, he wants to help

That sounds just about right.

I FORGOT JACK-JACK!!! :cry:

-Jack-Jack-lots of powers(as shown in said unsaid last scene), strange hair, we don’t know what he can do yet.

Wow, I get really wound up in their hair… :smiley: Talking about this puts me in such a good mood.

I’m not so sure if its about Jack-Jack’s hair that makes him unpredictable, but I believe the concept was that Jack-Jack is a baby, and at such an early age, we have no idea whatkind of potential he has, therefore, Brad Bird gave him transforming powers, really unpredictable.

Well, okay. Hey, sorry I missed you in the chatroom.

Eh, don’t worry about it. I rarely use the chatroom anyways.

It’s really not very popular, which I think is kind of sad.

Yeah. I guess people are used to old school: forum posting and PMing.

But we’re getting off topic now.

I never noticed that, but I think you’re right about these hairstyles and their personality equivelent!
The only one I thought about before was how Violet hides behind her hair like a person hiding behind a curtain, meaning she’s shy and not that outgoing.

Well, that’s the only one that’s ever said. I just assumed the rest. 8D 8D

Not only her hair symbolized her shyness, but her powers as well.

I wish there was some way to confirm or disprove the other theories.