What's the point of a secret identity?

Before the government or whoever made the supers stop using there powers, what was the point of a secret identity? It would just be more work for the super to keep it hidden and when there’s trouble, they would have to find somewhere to change into there super suit, and hope someone disent catch them. I would have find it easier to actually just stay a super hero actually one of the supers in the incredibles I think his name was universal man, he was a super hero 24/7 and never had a secret identity.

Cause then the people he/she loved would be hurt. the villian would find out who they are and possibly kill them. And that wouldn’t be good…

Having a secret identity could gaurentee the possibility of having a private life, instead of having people and the media follow you around all of the time. In addition, secret identities would enable Supers to allow them to be with loved ones.

Well, have you seen the Fantastic 4? I despise that movie, but in the movie, because everyone knows who they are, they are stalked by fans, and their enemy. It’s very bad not to have one.

Besides, the first 2 minutes of the movie explains very well, IMO.

youtube.com/watch?v=QGX2nxw5Be4

So having a secret identity is to help the super live a more safer life for themselves.

I used to wish I had super powers so I could be famous and all. But now… Its like no!

I wish I had powers too, but as long as I don’t get tempted in revealing who I am.

Yeah but would you really want to be famous even with the secret identity? I mean look at Hannah Montannah 8D 8D 8D

Step aside, step aside, comic book nerd coming through. :laughing: Secret identities are very important, for the reasons stated above and others. And I can give examples! Hooray! While some superheros like Tony Stark don’t have secret identities, for others, its an absolute necessity.

1. Protecting your friends and family.

In the utterly awful Spiderman story line One More Day, Peter Parker had just confessed to the world that he is Spiderman in another story I think was called Civil War (I don’t really follow Marvel comics all that much. Like, at all. This is all coming from LINKARA!) Anyway, Aunt May got shot because his enemies could then target all of his loved ones. The rest of the comic is one big mesh of stupidity I won’t get into right now or we’ll be here all day, but the point is, apparently unless you want to have to make a deal with the devil and sacrifice your marriage to get your aunt alive in a completely implausible way, you better keep that mask on.

1. Letting you have a private life.

The main reason Superman keeps a secret identity, as far as I’m aware, is not to protect his family (He is Superman, after all. Lois Lane gets kidnapped every five minutes anyway) but because he doesn’t want to be Superman all the time. Superman is not who he is, its what he does. Its a job. To paraphrase Superman the Animated Series, “if I have to be Superman all the time, I’ll go crazy!” Part of the reason he’s a reporter is because its nice for him to have a job where his intellect, not his superpowers, give him an advantage. Sometimes, its just nice to be a person.

1. Using your secret identity to your advantage.

I’m picking from Justice League Unlimited and Batman the Animated Series here. In JLU, Helena Bertinelli uses her secret identity to infiltrate a cage match holding Black Canary and Hawkgirl hostage unnoticed. The Question is able to freak a guy out when his average red-haired cab driver suddenly has no face, so he’s already nice and scared for their interrogation. Bruce Wayne can help Gotham in two different ways–donating money as Bruce and fighting crime as Batman. Plus, would criminals find Batman nearly as intimidating if they knew it was just Bruce Wayne under that mask?

So, as you can see, a secret identity is an important, if annoying, part of the superhero life.

That pretty much sums up everything right there rac_rules! Dude, great answer!

IWYL If theres anything else you want to ask?

I’m pretty sure Rac-Rules just made like, the best PP post ever. 8D :smiley: high-five

bows Thank you, thank you. :sunglasses:

Nothing wrong with being a comic book nerd at all. In fact, be proud of it! I’m really amazed. :wink:

Cheers and applauses

We should make her the queen. :slight_smile: 8D

Oh, that won’t be necessary. Prime Minister would be just fine. 8D

Still, that last post is like spot on.

Futrama said it perfectly. #1 we’d get our @$$s sued. #2 our villains would try to harm people we know.

Okay, you’re prime minister. Can I be the queen, then? Though, princess would be nice. :sunglasses: