Shouldn't have Pixar made "A Bug's Life 2"?

I’ve been thinking about a Bug’s Life and I just happened to be at fanfiction.net submitting a story. Then after that, looking up the Bug’s Life section, I saw a story for a Bug’s Life 2. The story dealt with Flik getting married to Atta and Hopper getting revenge on the colony for his defeat about 8 or so years ago. No offence to the aurthor of the sequel but it isn’t the best writen thing. I wanted to add more detail and structure but with her permission.

The latest movie planned by Pixar I think is the fairy tale movie I forget the title. Pixar’s not planning a BL2 behind our backs are they? I don’t want to write this movie and waste my time. Sadly they didn’t make ABL2 which seems kinda unfair because Toy Story seems to be the only movie getting sequals. Well… they’re coming up with a Cars 2 but that’s after Toy Story 3 in 2011, isn’t it?

To those of you who saw my previous thread about doing a claymated version of Toy Story, I also wanted to do ABL sequal.
Depending on the success and popularity of the second, I may write a third.

Thoughts?

With 4 voice actors deceased, I don’t think they should. :confused:

But I do love A Bug’s Life, and always wanted to see a sequel. I was actually annoyed when I saw the first Cars commercial - I thought it would be a sequel … :stuck_out_tongue:

The other day, I was surfing YouTube, and I came across this fan commentary (well, actually, it’s by The Movie Preview Critic) of Transformers, and TMPC talked about how it would had been if Luke Skywalker had not grew up through the Star Wars series, it would not had been an interesting watch.

I believe the same concept can be applied here. As John Lasseter put it and as we Pixar Planet forums member had put it so many times before, Pixar would only create sequels if they feel the first film has potential for a sequel. In my view, I feel that this is affected by the room for growth for the characters. If Woody lacked that disbelief as to whether or not if Andy would abandon him and the toys when he grows up, even upon learning Jessie’s tragic fate with her previous owner, there isn’t much story to go on. It’d just be Woody being kidnap, Buzz rescue him, the day is saved.

I’m not in the position to judge as to whether the characters of A Bug’s Life has any room for character development as I haven’t really watched it more than ten to fifteen times (though I’m still quite a fan of it), so I’m just going to let you guys discuss through my opinion pointed out here. Hope it helps.

Well the other day, I was watching Toy Story 2 on Free-To-Air, and I saw the end-credits blooper reel for the first time. Flik was talking with Heimlich about why they were in the scene if this was not Toy Story 2, only to have Buzz slash through the branch they were on! I laughed out loud!
But yeah, I agree with wboon and the rest, if there’s a story to tell, go for it, but don’t continue the series just for the sake of milking it dry. I’m looking at you Disney, stop going through your back catalogue of classics and churning out DTV sequels. I’m sure Bambi, Fox and the Hound, Lady & The Tramp, the Lion King, Mulan, Brother Bear, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Aladdin, Cinderella and the Little Mermaid are as good as they are with their endings (yes, believe it or not, I know for a fact ALL these movies have non-theatrical released sequels!).

I, personally, am not a big fan of sequels unless they’re planned (for example the Harry Potter movies and that sort of thing). Toy Story 2 was an impressive sequel, even by Pixar’s standards, and I don’t think they’re milking it too much by turning it into a trilogy. But with A Bug’s Life, as with pretty much all Pixar’s other films, I think it’s fine as it is. I just prefer seeing new features from Pixar instead of sequels, and although I love the range of characters in A Bug’s Life, I think the ending is very satisfying and the main characters all go through an arc where they progress and develop. By the end of the film, there is that feeling that all’s well.

Also, the main villain was killed in the original. Personally, I love Hopper, and I think he’s one of Pixar’s best villains yet. It just wouldn’t feel right for there to be another villain, even if it’s a grasshopper wanting revenge or something along those lines.

As far as I’m aware, Pixar isn’t planning on making a sequel to A Bug’s Life, and they haven’t really hinted at this either. So, there’s nothing wrong with writing your own version of a sequel, emergencyexit42.

[quote="lizardgirl":10l5h5wr]Also, the main villain was killed in the original. Personally, I love Hopper, and I think he’s one of Pixar’s best villains yet. It just wouldn’t feel right for there to be another villain, even if it’s a grasshopper wanting revenge or something along those lines.[/quote:10l5h5wr]
Basically, it would turn into another "[i:10l5h5wr]The Lion King 2: Simba’s Pride[/i:10l5h5wr]." :-\

After I saw it for the 2nd or 3rd time, I thought that a sequel would be amazing. Now, I am glad that it is just one movie for now.

I thought the exact same thing when I first saw it…

I would love to see a sequel, but I dunno if it will ever happen.

You know, it’s funny that somebody actually bought this up.

When I was in high school about eight years ago, I werote a sequal to A Bug’s Life that I planned on submitting to Disney and Pixar, but it never worked out.

I’m plaqnning to post it here on Pixar Planet as a fan fiction, right after my Syndrome/ Incredibles fic is done.

In my story, Hopper returns from Bug Heaven to make up for what he did wrong by helping Flik somehow. Upon reuniting with Molt and returning to Ant Island, Hopper and Flik both face a new problem when an evil army of Termite Tyrants attack and plan to enslave the colony and the circus bugs. Forced to work together for their common good , Flik and Hopper must somehow figure out how to save the day and bring peace between the fueding insect species.

Probebly not my best work, and certainly not as good as I’m planning my Syndrome and Synical adventure to be … but would anybody want to read it ? :slight_smile: [/spoiler]

Yeah. I have an idea. It involves like that idea of Flik and Atta getting married, but involves a new villain and Flik getting blow-back from his accomplishments in the first film. What started out as the the most successful reign in the colony’s history, Atta is all of the sudden confronted with the largest challenge any queen has dealt with. Very much like Abraham Lincoln and the Civil War or FDR and World War II. Don’t worry, Ant Island doesn’t go to war. I’ve thought of it along the lines of “The Empire Strikes Back” as in it being the second movement of a symphony were the good guys go back home limping home. So there’s a third story were, Flik finally completes his difference, he and Atta have children and Dot fills Atta’s shoes for a time. Maybe I can pitch it to Pixar just as the person who wrote the Star Wars Thrawn Trilogy did. They don’t nessessarily have to make a screenplay, just make it an official story so we know what happens to the characters we love so much. Any Thoughts?

It hard to say whether A Bugs Life 2 would be successful or not considering the generation it effected has grown up, not to mention how under-rated it was. I for one love that movie, but as a studio, do they want to take the risk of a sales bust??

I think Pixar can direct their work into something new, that will attract both new and old veiwers that will make a killing in the box office. :smiley:

im glad they didnt make a sequel because it was fine the way it ended

I agree… I’m very content with leaving A Bugs Life just A and not Few Bugs Life… very awful pun there :confused: . I agree with Lizardgirl, that Hopper is one of the best Pixar villains and I loved his performance. You seen some of the fics on FanFiction that depict him surviving being devoured? This is a film I think should be left just as A film. The ending was very majestic I must say :slight_smile:.

I think they should just see what ideas they can come with for Bug’s Life 2 if there is in fact another one.

My theory about sequels is that you know a Pixar film won’t have a sequel when it ends with the words “The End”. A Bug’s Life, Finding Nemo, and Ratatouille all ended this way cause they may have already felt that those particular stories did all that they needed to do. When they don’t end that way then maybe they leave the possibility open for a sequel, but aren’t under any pressure to do so. I think Wall-E should be another film that doesn’t need a sequel because once you return the entire human race to Earth and you know it’s going to be restored to it’s former state then what else is there that needs to happen?

I actually wouldn’t mind a sequel to A Bug’s Life though. I kinda felt bad for Flik and Heimlich in the bloopers for Toy Story 2 when they had to realize that it wasn’t their sequel.

Honestly, all the Pixar films deserve a sequel I think. This may sound odd, at the same time no Pixar film deserves a sequel as it is great by itself.

There is just one issue with Hopper. He was killed by the Canary during the rain storm chase.

The reason they won’t make A Bug’s Life 2 is because boy ants die young. What’s the use of the movie if Flik isn’t in it?

I don’t think that kind of realism is taken into account when making the film or thinking of reasons why not to make a sequel. I don’t think something like that would be the kind of thing that would weigh down the possibility of making a second A Bug’s Life film.

I honestly would like to see a prequel about how the circus bugs got together and the how and why Manny and Gypsy fell in love and married. And if we get to meet any of Rosie’s husbands :stuck_out_tongue: . It’s the only thing that I can really see happening, as far as ABL goes. It’s kinda hard to think of a really good villain, though. I’m not exactly sure WHAT would happen afterward. I am in the process of writing a fan fiction on what happens to the Circus bugs immediately after the ending, based on one I wrote years ago.