Character Discussion: Hopper

It’s been a while since the last character discussion.

Hopper is one of the most interesting Disney/Pixar villains. Because he lacks a Freudian Excuse we never see what makes him who he is. To me, that’s a (very) good thing. It adds a layer of mystery that we never do solve and makes him more terrifying. He is a ‘Complete Monster.’

Hopper is Pixar’s best baddie imo. Even more so than Muntz and Syndrome because they had encountered disappointment and upset that would lead them to do evil things, but with Hopper, theres no apparant backstory as to why he is so awful. Having said that, I guess it’s hinted at least that he was blinded by a bird and that Molt was perhaps his mothers favourite son, but even so, he’s just ridiculously cruel.
I think the best thing about Hopper is that he is actually intimidating rather than just a typical silly Disney villian that you can laugh off. And I think one of the reasons for this is that Kevin Spacey does a brilliant job voicing him, so good, he’s almost too chilling for a kids film. Kevin Spacey and Dave Foley are probably some of the best voice actors Pixar have ever had imo. I also like the contrast between the ants and the grasshoppers; the ants are all colourful and humanised, whilst the grasshoppers are angry, have multiple tenticles and look all drab. :slight_smile:

Yes, Hopper is one scary mother trucker for Disney’s Sense in Villains, and yes, the only thing that actually fears hopper is birds, which is not so pathetic, seeing that Grasshoppers are naturally scared of bigger animals which can kill them, and seeing that Hopper getting blinded was more of a tragedy than a disappointment, it adds to the deathly intimidating tone of Hopper.

I wonder if his first name is Grass?

Isn’t there already a thread for Hopper? Or am I deja-vuing? I remember writing about this guy before in another thread.

He’s my favorite Pixar villian.

Hopper’s great. His lack of a back story is what makes him so terrifying; he will never stop, and has nothing to lose.

except his antennae!

Okay, that’s true. And his dignity, and his life. :stuck_out_tongue:

Hopper is one of Pixar’s worst villains. Every other one had a motive, didn’t think of them as evil, or was just doing what it thought was right. But Hopper, no, he was evil just for the movie to have a villain

That’s one ofthe reasons I like him! He’s so…mysterious! What secrets does he have that make him the villian he was?

Yeah, he definitely seems like he’s got some back story to him that we never really get to see, the closest we get to that is the fear of birds thing.

Maybe he’s evil because he has to hang around with Molt all the time, I think that would drive anyone crazy. 8D

Hahaha I can see that! Also, I think he just enjoys power, a lot. Maybe he has an insecurity issue, and convinces himself otherwise by ruling over a group of nasty grasshoppers.

Meaning that he felt insecure after the bird incident, and compensated by surrounding himself with a gang of tough bugs for protection? That could make sense. And he comes off as an extreme control freak for sure.

In this case I kind of agree with HaloCod. I prefer villains like Muntz who we know as well as the protagonist. The villain should have a fatal flaw, like a hardened heart, I think.

In my own personal head canon he was always bad, even as a child. As previously stated in another thread, he definitely has some mental issues, maybe antisocial personality disorder. Those people don’t need motives or a reason, they’re just plain terrible.

That makes sense! Like Sid. 8D

Not a good example, as Sid isn’t “evil”, only to a Toy’s point of view.

And of course, we all are saying that Hopper is good because his lack of backstory, but honestly, it just is lazy writing.

I prefer villains with back stories. Almost always, but Hopper doesn’t bother me. I just don’t love him, and he’s likely at the bottom of my list.

I feel this way about his character, personally. I mean, what kind of child has to be asked by his dying mother NOT to kill his brother? After all, no one knows a child better than his own mother, and I think mom knew that Hopper had it in him to hurt or kill his brother once she wasn’t around to keep the peace. Plus, he was too smart for his own good, and manipulative. It makes me wonder what kind of childhood he had, since the symptoms for Anti-Social Personality disorder begin early in childhood (or larvae stage?) and are kind of fostered by environment and genes. At least Hopper seemed to care enough about his mom to respect that promise and show restraint when Molt got on his nerves. Hopper was nice enough to punch the guy behind him instead. The reason I pegged him as APD was because he pretty much fit all of the diagnostic criteria for that personality disorder. Here are some of the behaviors that I kind of saw throughout the movie:
Disregard for right and wrong
Persistent lying or deceit
Using charm or wit to manipulate others
Repeatedly violating the rights of others
Intimidation of others
Aggressive or violent behavior
Lack of remorse about harming others
Impulsive behavior
Agitation
Poor or abusive relationships

Isn’t psychology FUN? =)

Hopper is so cruel and wicked, I like him, actually he just doesn’t need a deep backstory, we can perfectly realize and see what are his evil purposes on the film,

A side note: Hopper scared my little brother when he watched A Bug’s Life for the first time