Modifying Woody's eyes

I “borrowed” Dinoco’s pic for this. My apologies.

I had an idea to fix Woody’s eyes so they’d be more like their “Toy State” look. I was wondering if anyone could help me with this? It involves sanding down Woody’s molded eyelids so that the entire round eye is flush with the molded and painted eye (being careful not to damage his painted iris) and then painting the now sanded down eyelid white to match the whites of his eyes, thus giving him that blank stare. There’s little that could be done to reposition his molded eyebrows and open mouth, but if someone has a suggestion, I’d love to hear it.

Click the pic for a larger view.

Also, one of those 1" white plastic rings for his pull string would be pretty darn awesome. -Omar

I dont think it’d work. I may be wrong, but Im pretty sure woodys head is hollow. Its likely not thick enough to sand down enough without making it VERY fragile if it even survives the sanding after a certain point.

I made a quick photoshop to get the idea.

Yeah, it would look cool, but like oreo-94 said, it might not be structurally suitable to sand down. Unless you get involved with Sculpty or something, but that would make for a longer project.

I’ll have to agree with oreo-94, and also the idea of sanding a toy’s eyelids…kinda sounds very…very wrong .~.

Thanks everyone :smiley:

Dinoco, thanks for being Ok with me using your photo, and thank so much for the awesome photoshop.

In theory, I wouldn’t be using a sander or anything with power (my inner Tim Taylor cries at this) and I’d be using a very fine grit sandpaper. Woody’s head seems pretty thick, vinyl wise. I’ve taken apart Woodys in the past and the vinyl thickness is roughly a quarter inch, compacted with the added thickness of the molded eyelid. I might be wrong though.

So, for now I’ll do nothing. My inner Sid says “Awww”, but I’ll at least think about how to go about with this.

Thankfully, it’s a Disney Store Woody, and I got a discount from a coupon code when I bought him, so it’s not like I’d be in danger of losing $60+ on a TSC Woody. Still, if I proceed, it shall be with caution. -Omar

I think the plastic is thick enough, but keep in mind: the mouth is off, as well. what do?

Well, the thing is, when you sand something, it also weakens it. If he’s really careful, he might be able to sand it down without making any holes or sanding through the vinyl. But aeven then, it’d make it very ragile and susceptible to breaking if he fell or anything. Itd look great but id be very careful handling him after.As for the mouth, all you could really do is sand it down(likely enough for a hole to be present) and sculpt over the hole. If you jut sculpt over it, you’ll get the teenage girl facebook profile duckface woody lol.