Ultra Buzz

Here’s something interesting I discovered, during the first draft of the Toy Story II script (1996), there was a character that almost made it to the big screen named Ultra Buzz Lightyear 2000, or Ultra Buzz for short. In the script, he’s described as a new, metallic version of Buzz, with an accessory belt containing a grappling hook, who resides in a display unit in Al’s Toy Barn.

Sound familiar? The character eventually evolved into the new ‘Utility Belt’ Buzz in the final film, but their roles differ greatly. After having a scuffle with Andy’s Buzz, Emperor Zurg is accidently knocked out of his box and wrecks havoc. While Ultra Buzz uses his new technology and acrobatics, Andy’s Buzz simply walks through Zurg’s stream of Nerf balls and removes his batteries. Gaining the admiration of Ultra Buzz, he takes off his accessory belt and gives it to Andy’s Buzz, saying he is truly worthy. Unlike the Utility Belt Buzz, he stays in Al’s Toy Barn, while Andy’s Buzz now reverts back to his space ranger ways after the accomplishment.

Similar to Anti-Buzz, this Buzz has seen the light of day thanks to the vast merchandise line:

Even more amusing, this gift set seems to reflect Ultra Buzz giving his belt to Andy’s Buzz:

Finally, I realized that a full-sized Ultra Buzz DOES exist, including a functioning grappling hook as described in the script. He was released under the name ‘Techno-Gear Buzz:’

It’s interesting how he got released, despite not even making it onscreen.

Oh awesome, I didn’t think much of the significance when I had these toys. Wish I still had them. :smiley:

My golly goodness, I had no idea… this seriously blew my mind! A character who didn’t make it into the movie in the end managed to make it into the merch! I love crazy surprises like this… :slight_smile:

I really had no clue about this :unamused:
He was only in the drafts of the script but not in the final one!!!
How did you manage to get this news!
This really blew my mind :~o
But thanks to you for sharing this news!

This one I figured out after putting two and two together; the initial Toy Story II script was available on the Raindance Film Festival Website (raindance.org/site/picture/u … tory_2.pdf), and I was familiar with Ultra Buzz from the merchandise (he did get a few releases). It was kinda shocking to me as well, but Pixar has proved time and time again that they’ll never waste a good idea.

Also, on the subject, I think Ultra Buzz was based off of the 1996 ‘Intergalactic Buzz Lightyear’ from the original Toy Story line:

I mean, they’re new, metallic updates of the original Buzz Lightyear with added features. Just speculation, though.

^ I had that thing as a kid, was the only repaint I think I ever owned. It was awesome looking.

That’s very cool! Was he an overseas release? He seems to be very hard to find.

I’ve seen that footage. For the Zurg animation test on the TS1/TS2 Ultimate Toy Box, it shows that scene, just in animation. It ends with Zurg getting punched out by the Rock 'em Sock 'em Robots. It’s pretty funny.

^Whut?! It was on the Ultimate Toy Box?! I have the Blu-Ray of TS2 and it wasn’t on there!Why, Disney, must you exclude something that awesome from what should be the most deluxe version to date?? :confused:

OwP, the Ultimate Toy Box isn’t the same one as the one that came out in 2010. This one came out in 2000 and has a whole disc of bonus material from both Toy Stories. It’s pretty cool. Here it is on Amazon.

Do you think you could put it on youtube?

ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-DISNE … 4ac294bf11

Apparently there was also a talking model kit made of him as well.

Thanks for letting me know pixarfan9099. I knew that my version’s different from the older versions, but I was surprised my BR wouldn’t have that on there! My brother owns the old Toy Story DVDs… perhaps it’s on there and I just haven’t seen it yet!