Dr. Know

It’s really amazing when you find some historically significant person lives in your area. As it turns out, an actor who lent his voice to the original Toy Story also lived in central New York, and went by the name of Dr. Know (or No). Unfortunately, the only reason I know this is because his estate sale amounted in the selling of his extensive Toy Story collection. I actually missed this sale, but I’ve since acquired most of these items from someone who bought it out. By the sounds of it, they were pretty much giving away priceless merchandise, as I got a 15-foot tall Buzz for $30, without haggling.

It’s a funny feeling knowing you’re carrying on the collection of an actual Toy Story actor who passed on; I’m glad the irreplaceable items didn’t get trashed (the source of the Burger King standee was actually from his collection and is being restored).

But the point of this isn’t actually about his collection; it’s about the man himself. It was said that he played a small bit part in the movie, so obviously he wouldn’t be credited. But still, any voice in Toy Story is iconic. I asked Lee Unkrich, but I wonder what his real name is, and what part he played. By process of elimination, I’d think he was either a Green Army Man, one of the drivers at Dinoco (possibly the Pizza Planet deliveryman), the announcer on the show Mr. Phillips was watching, or one of the angry drivers in the car pileup. I’m pretty the the Aliens were all voiced by Pixar employees. It’s also worth noting that because he acted in the movie, he was able to gain access to various items that wouldn’t normally be available to the public (like Burger King banners and posters).

now, thats a stroke of luck.

That is extremely cool to know, Dinoco! I agree, anyone who lent their voice to a Pixar film is a big deal to me! I will remember Dr. Know whenever I watch it, even if I don’t know who he plays :smiley:
And wow… a 15-foot-tall Buzz?! Now that’s a piece of Toy Story merch I haven’t seen!

Thanks! Unfortunately, I cannot assemble Buzz because my house is not big enough, but he’ll be safe in storage until I can dedicate a whole room to this madness.

A room with a ginormous Buzz as a centerpiece would be beyond amazing! I wonder what they used it for in the first place…

I was told it was shipped to K-Marts to promote the home release of Toy Story in 1996 (this collection was very well organized)

thats another interesing factiod.

Coolness! Wonder what it would be like if more giant statues like that graced stores for their DVD releases…