Why isn't there much Mutant Toy merchandise?

As a kid, I watched Toy Story ALL the time :smiley: and reenacted the movie with my toys. One thing I always wanted was full-scale versions of the Mutant Toys. Sure, I guess they were a bit scary to some kids and they may not have sold as well as Buzz or Woody, but itā€™s something thatā€™s needed. Now I know some people have made custom mutants, like Wampar, which I must say are awesome, but how come there havenā€™t been many toys based on the mutants? They were some of my favorite characters in the first film. The only somewhat ā€œfull-scaleā€ mutants weā€™ve gotten are the 1995 and Disney Store Babyface. Iā€™m guessing the reason there havenā€™t been ā€œfull-scaleā€ mutants made is because theyā€™re too scary for some kids and the parts arenā€™t even meant to connect to each other. Anyways, thatā€™s just something Iā€™ve always wondered.

There were some mutant toys sold at Toys 'R Us like, years ago. Now they are a rarity.

Well, if youā€™re talking about the mini ones like Jingle Joe and that gift set with the little mutant toys, then I have those.

I wondered why there werenā€™t full-scale replicas of them. I thought that it would be cool if Thinkway made ā€œkitsā€ where itā€™d come with the parts and instructions and you could build the mutants. Although, if they TSC of them, then what would the boxes be like? They didnā€™t come in boxes and their parts werenā€™t even supposed to be connected in the first place.

I feel you, but such toys would really only appeal to the hardcore fans and collectors. The RC Babyface (which was actually only released a few years ago) seemed to get by because of the cool remote control feature. Though I could totally see a full-size Babyface being sold at Hot Topic or Spencers (something like that). Personally, Iā€™ve always wanted to see a real Roller Bob. :sunglasses:

Again, there isnā€™t much play value to most of them, and I couldnā€™t see them selling more than only the most important Mutants. Guess I have to make my own doll in a waffle iron.

Well, Iā€™d love to make my own customs, but that means Iā€™d have to rip apart toys (which I donā€™t want to do because Iā€™m not sure what to do with the leftover parts), buy parts or whole toys on eBay, and have room for them (which I donā€™t).

I donā€™t know why toy companies only make the main characters. I know thereā€™s tons of kids that want a Buzz or Woody but us collectors want the ā€œminorā€ characters like Bo Peep or Stinky Pete, or some of Andyā€™s other toys. We had to wait YEARS for a full-size Zurg and he was worth the wait, I guess. I donā€™t know why toy companies think theyā€™re not going to make money off of minor characters. Look at Zurg and the DS Hamm, those guys sold really well. I still need a Bo Peep (but I think Iā€™m going to get one for x-mas :smiley: ) and the Prospector but heā€™s too expensive. Look at how well those custom Trokias and Clowns by Slink (I think it was him) sold on eBay.

The only significant toys made were the Medicom Janie, RC Babyface, and ToysRus exclusive Jingle Joe. The Janie doll itself is fully made of plastic but comes with a pterodactyl head and is arguable the closest to scale out of the three. The figure itself tends to reach prices above $150 on the internet.

The main problem with Toy Storyā€™s marketing is that toy companies only focus on Buzz, Woody, Jessie, and sometimes Rex to sell. Some toy lines throw Zurg in as the villain and Bullseye as the trusty steed. They must feel that most kids wouldnā€™t care for cool side characters like Rocky, Combat Carl, or Bo Peep. It also doesnā€™t help that Toy Story collecting isnā€™t as renown as Star Wars or Marvel action figure collectors who can asked manufactures for obscure characters.

It all comes down to supply and demand, Buzz sells far more than Prospector ever will in the eyes of the manufacturer.

Funny you should mention Toy Story collectingā€¦ Toy Story toys are iconic, but pretty much only for Thinkwayā€™s Woody and Buzz. It wasnā€™t a fluke that those took off like they did in 1995, people took well to the idea that they could have realistic and scale representations of the characters (toys) form that movie that functioned the same way they did. Thinkway never exactly repeated that. They tried with the Toy Story collection, but didnā€™t take many chances and deviate from the main cast. I guess what Iā€™m trying to say is that if they just focus on making a product like it is in the movie (no additional gimmicks), it would sell. Though like I said before, thereā€™s a limit to immediately recognizable characters (most of Andyā€™s would quality, though).

And the reasoning behind Marvel and Star Wars figures is the versatility of the 3Ā¾-inch figures. Itā€™s an economic price, and can allow for multiple waves and variations, appealing to collectors and kids alike. Thinkway actually had a decent line in 1995, and weā€™ve seen a few decent strong releases since then (i.e. Jingle Joe), but not a strong ongoing series. A rebranded Toy Story line would be great; as the Star Wars figures show, the trend has shifted from a focus on action features and gimmicks to detail and articulation.

Also, the Frog would make a good full-scale release; he is just a tin wind-up frog after all.

^ I agree. Toys nowadays are more detailed than they used to be, but sometimes have poor quality. One major thing I hate about the Disney Store Buzz is how cheap he is. One time I was playing with him normally (not rough play) and his leg broke off. That is the cheapest toy Iā€™ve ever seen. Thatā€™s why I need to get some mutants so then they can fix him 8D 8D

Anyways, I think that the mutant toys are somewhat memorable characters. They helped Buzz and Woody escape and also fixed Buzz. They also scared Sid and taught him a lesson. Even if Mattel or somebody made a gift set with all the mutant toys, a lot of us would be satisfied. I really want a Janie and Pterodactyl but I donā€™t want to spend 150-300 dollars on one.

I donā€™t think well ever see much more than that weā€™ve got