Toy Story 4 will hit theaters in 2017.

slashfilm.com/toy-story-4-release-date/

I’m new here and all I have to say is it makes no sense. Only way it could work is if it was about Woody’s past with Andy’s dad.

They have no connections with Bonnie’s character really to make this feel well yah know. I know Buzz wouldn’t be in it and they’d have to make all new toy’s for Woody’s dad but that’s the only way I could see it be emotional and without feeling out of place.

Any one agree?

Oh sweet merciful Neptune…

Hopefully they focus on a backstory for Andy’s dad or something original WITHOUT ruining the first 3.

My thoughts

…Is there any hope this is just shoddy reporting? There doesn’t seem to be an actual link to proof, unless I missed it.

I don’t want this to be true. The idea makes me so angry. Every time I think this stupid sequel wave is over it just keeps getting bigger and bigger and now it’s turned into a freakin’ sequel tsunami (look at me, I’m so angry I’m typing stupid metaphors).

Man… so many mixed emotions going on for me. They have a perfect thing with the initial trilogy, I just dont want to see this franchise turn into shrek.

If they can manage to pull it off everyone will have worried for nothing. But the risk is so incredible high I would rather they not even try. The third movie for me marked the end of Pixar’s pefect track record. Everything since has ranged from borderline bad (cars 2) to decent or so so. (brave, monsters university)

I do love the toy story specials, going by toy story of terror and the little we’ve seen of toy story that time forgot at least. But why push your luck? If they pump out enough of these a bad toy story is just inevitable at some point and I don’t want anything to tarnish it.

One thing I hope to get out of this is to see them Not do another rescue mission. I don’t mind the ones we’ve had so far, but they’ve taken that as far as it can go. They need to find another hook.

I would also say they should trim the cast down. Toy story 3 had so many toys, we didn’t get to spend as much time seeing them interact I want more than just a lot of one liners carrying the dialogue, give me the nuance you only get from one on one conversations.

I’m still digesting all this though… So much could go wrong here. This is the first time I’m not jumping for joy about a toy story sequel. But might by the time I leave the theater.

They link to varity, they’re plenty trustworthy. Iger announced it himself. I’ve been more than happy sticking my fingers in my ears saying “la la la” every time toy story 4 rumors pop up, there never seemed to be anything concrete about it, but today the tin foil hats come off. (wait, I think I’m mixing up my metaphors…but you get what I’m sayin)

Well…maybe we’ll finally get a Toy Story collection Stinky Pete?

And this will no doubt breath life back into our little community. Its been dead for so long but that’s about to change. Of course, it’ll be Long while before we get anything with substance to talk about. All we have so far is a director. Speaking of which, my confidence in him has gone way down since he starting running more than just Pixar. Do we really want the guy responsible for Cars 2 and Planes back on Toy Story? I know he started it all but I’m not sure he has it in him anymore. Not to mention the whole wage fixing scandal he’s involved in.

I can never be disappointed at the news of another Toy Story movie, so I’d think a better word for me to use is pretty much shock.

They were handling the Toy Story series extremely well through well-made theatrical shorts and TV specials, keeping life in the series. No one could have asked for another film… though I know I’m going to find myself in the theater on that midnight showing regardless.

The biggest thought on anyone’s mind is that Toy Story 3 capped the series off in a pretty definitive fashion. It just felt like there wasn’t much more to go on about, we reached the end of a journey. Not many sequels are made after this amount of time, but Toy Story 3 used the passage of time to its advantage and left an impact. Keep in mind, Toy Story was a standalone story, but left the air open for more stories, and Toy Story 2 gave us a satisfying ending of sorts.

If they were to make a new story, I’d prefer it be a spin-off movie, but the title Toy Story 4 already got dropped, so we are looking at another entry to the main series. Like I said before, I liked Bonnie’s stories more as told through the shorts. Personally, I’d like to see something maybe before the first Toy Story. We could have something between Toy Story and Toy Story 2, or 2 and 3, but we get the sense that nothing really interesting happens between those points. Well, all we have is a title right now, so that’s all I have to say about that. With the voice actors and John Lasseter, I can sleep soundly knowing that Toy Story is still in good hands.

Oh boy. I just read the news a few minutes ago and I’m not sure how to feel. I love the Toy Story films and I love Pixar, but I really don’t think that there needs to be another one. The last one ended perfectly, I think. I feel like I already said goodbye to the characters in the last one and I don’t know how I’m supposed to say “Hello” again. It would be like if they decided to do another Harry Potter film all about the trio again. I grew up with Harry Potter and it was a big part of my life. I said goodbye to those characters in the last film and it was emotional, but it needed to be done. It had to end. This feels just like that for me. I feel like I’ve already said goodbye. I know that there are some Toy Story shorts, but I don’t think of them as being part of the films or anything. Just little side stories.

I also don’t know where they’d go with this. I suppose that could be seen as a good thing if they manage to pull this off, but I really have no idea what they’re going to do. I think that they run the risk of ruining the series. That’s probably a bit dramatic, but that’s how I’m feeling right now. It’s like Scrat, the squirrel, in Ice Age. In the first film he was quite funny, in the second he was still funny but not as much. By the third film I was already bored of him and when the fourth film came out I hated that squirrel so much. I know it’s not the same, but what I’m trying to say is that another film might be too much. I don’t want to end up hating any of the Toy Story characters just because I’m fed up of seeing their faces. I have such happy memories of these films and I really don’t want that to change.

With all that said, I do support them and I do think that they have the ability to pull this off. I wish it wasn’t happening, but it is so I guess I’ll have to calm down and deal with it like a grown up :stuck_out_tongue: :mrgreen:

Also, I’m really sorry if I’m overreacting. I probably am, but the news hasn’t quite sunk in yet and so my brain doesn’t really know how to react.

OK I am about to explode with excitement! But before you all start hating… read this:
blogs.disney.com/insider/2014/11 … t-in-2017/
If Mr. Lasseter is excited about it, then we should be too! I know where I’ll be on June 16th… :slight_smile:

Leaves thread to avoid further Pixar sequel hate

I’m pretty excited for this once I read that Lasseter is directing. He won’t screw up his baby!

d23.com/toy-story-4-announced-f … ig-screen/

From John:

Alright, we have the same people who made the original. Alright, it’s all good, say no more.

The first three Toy Stories felt so natural because they all evolved from the first treatment of Toy Story. The different acts of that 1991 treatment pretty much became the series. Now we have something completely new, but that’s not to say it won’t live up to it. We do have John’s word, after all. :wink:

I hate to say it, but John doesn’t make me worry any less. Now, I’m not trying to say people shouldn’t have a high opinion of him, and if his involvement makes you feel better that’s fine, but I think people tend to focus on his hits and ignore his misses. Yes, Toy Story 1 and 2 and A Bug’s Life were fantastic movies he directed, but Cars and Cars 2 were mediocre and bad movies, respectively, he directed, and they were much more recent. And I’m pretty sure he was excited about those, too.

Aw, man.

So, seven sequels in eight years. Wow. That’s one away from the number Dreamworks has made in double the time.

I’m not really sure how to react to this news. For all we know, this could be fake or something but if it is real, I’m kinda in the middle. Toy Story is my favorite movie of all time and the trilogy is great, but the end of 3 was a PERFECT ending to the series, or at least the films. I’m hoping Stinky Pete will be in this one so then we will get a toy of him 8D I’m hoping some of Andy’s older toys and the Mutants appear somewhere, just to see what happened to them. Maybe it will focus on them, or be like Toy Story 2 and 3 where there’s a subplot with Bonnie’s toys and a subplot with other toys. Then again, it could be about Woody’s past with Andy’s dad or maybe be based on the “recall” script of Toy Story 3. Whatever happens, I hope it’ll be great.

After calming down my fanboy nerves, I’m more mixed by the news. I think it’s a general consensus that Toy Story 3 wrapped up the toys journey with Andy very well. It also was a reflection of how most of us grew up with Woody, Buzz, and the gang. We all saw the first two films at some point and awaited the third as a sort of closure.

I’m more excited than worried since there are other topics Lasseter and the team has at their disposal. My favorite plot idea for a film would be Woody’s backstory as a family heirloom passed down from Andy’s dad. Ignoring the main cast and exploring the lives of the toys who were sold before Toy Story 3 and their relationship with their new owners. Or, the trilogy fast forwards to Andy’s children’s relationship with their new cast of toys (possible references to the past 3 films).

Like the rest of you, I am still concerned with Pixar’s recent announcement of sequels for their popular films. Cars 2 turned out to be Pixar’s weakest film out of the preceding films. Brave and Monsters University had great setups but were not executed as well as we hoped. Currently, the Good Dinosaur is getting reworked and delayed and Finding Dory had its ending changed due to the Seaworld controversy. While these may be reasonable complaints, we still have to remember that 2017 is three years from now.

As the original Toy Story soon turns 20 years old, we should be more hopeful for the future of the franchise. The new film and anniversary might bring more relevance to secondary and minor characters that appeared in the films. We can’t fully judge Pixar’s quality until we watch the Inside Out and the Good Dinosaur when they release in theaters; they might become the “revival” Pixar needs to fully prove that they can make movies. All in all, I’m starting to get more hyped by the announcement and how this could affect the community as a whole.

Okay, so I just went back and read a few more articles about the film and I still don’t know how to feel. I just read that it’s going to be a ‘love story’. I’ll be honest, I’m not a massive fan of lovey dovey type films. I know that there have been little bits of romance in the Toy Story series before but they were never really the main plot of the films. I just don’t know how to feel. I mean, I am excited because I love Pixar films. The people at Pixar are extremely talented and they obviously love what they do, which I do think translates well onto the screen. I’m just feeling so… conflicted. I don’t know.

Anyway, here’s a quote I found:

So, I guess that means that it’s definitely a sequel and not a prequel. But yeah, I’m still unsure of how I feel.

Here’s the article that I found the quote in: [url]http://pixartimes.com/2014/11/06/toy-story-4-to-be-a-love-story-more-details/[/url]

…Only time will tell for “Love Story”. ;-p

I still would rather they focus more on other topics for the film.

It’s a love story now?

It’s like this thing is calculated specifically to make me as unenthusiastic as possible.

And bonus: Unless it’s Jessie and Buzz, they’re probably going to introduce a new person for it. If they pull someone new out of nowhere for Woody I swear I might just explode.

That or Bo’s back. Which…would be slightly less horrible but definitely not worth a movie.

In Japan, the first things on my mind if/when TS$ comes here, will it have the best Japanese voices for any new characters in TS$ and can it beat Ponyo in movie sales.

In Japan, I believe TS3 made just over $100 million and Ponyo made $150 million. Sheez, also the new TS merchandising will be stellar. You can see TS merchandise everyday and everywhere in my city Sendai, Japan up north and definitely of course in Tokyo with TDL/TDS resort.

The Japanese marketing in Japan can really screw up in marketing Pixar movies. When Brave opened the first weekend here in Japan, it was 7th the first weekend. The next week it completely disappeared from the charts because they choose a terrible voice actress for Merida.

Personally a product cycle has basically these stages: a launch, growth, peak, maturity, decline, relaunch, and final decline and death. Now the TS world in Japan, my gut instincts says, is at the maturity stage in Japan. Mr. Potato Head is popular in Japan now. You know Why? His moustache. It started when Toy Story Mania opened in 2012 in TDS. Now you see some famous Japanese people with moustaches.

Anyways, good luck TS$. Just beat Ponyo at the box office in Japan or any Pixar film. Please!

Love story huh?

how about this: We find out that Bonnie’s mom is the “new owner” Bo peep ended up going to. Woody and Bo have a fight, something about how he never should have let her go, that the Woody she knew would never let that happen and would have fought harder for her So now Bo’s on the rebound and tries to get with Buzz. Which puts Buzz, Jessie and Bo into a love triangle. Eventually Buzz realizes he loves Jessie, and by the end Bo gets back with Woody. The end.

Hey I never said I was a good fanfic writer. That’s just what came to mind first. :stuck_out_tongue:

Edit: by the way, they might want to hurry with the recording sessions, something tells me Don Rickles doesn’t have too many years left in him…

Nice one, Kyle. Something I came up with that could happen is that Bonnie’s mom went to the yard sale where Wheezy, Etch, Bo Peep, Lenny, and few others were sold and gave them to the daycare. SHe could have kept Bo Peep and saved it for when Bonnie was older so then she wouldn’t break it. Then Bonnie’s birthday comes up and she gets Bo as a gift. She sees Woody, and is happy to see him again, but sees him with Dolly. Woody and Bo get into a fight and eventually get back together. The end.