Toy Story video games discussion

So I’m not exactly sure if someone’s made a topic like this, but if they have, it’s probably old. Anyways, as you can tell by the title, this topic is about the video games based on the Toy Story franchise. I have played all of them on at least one console each.

Toy Story for the SNES, Sega Genesis, Game Boy, and PC:This game was made sometime a little after the movie came out. I have the SNES (Super Nintendo Entertainment System) version. This game is really fun and is actually really hard, too. It follows the movie very well actually and has pretty much every part from the movie. I’ve only made it up to Sid’s Workbench without the invulnerability trick. I also LOVE the music in this game. Overall, I’d give it 4 out of 5 sheriff badges.

Toy Story Activity Center for the PC: Again, like the last game, it was released sometime after the first film came out. Now, I played this game ALL the time when I was like 5. You could go to Andy’s room and play a card game with Hamm, do marble art with Rex, or play a game with Slinky where you had to get either 5 soldiers or Tykes in a row to win. The Slinky one was my favorite. You could also go to Pizza Planet and play a pipe game in the claw machine, watch movie clips, and play a memory-type game with the Alien Slime aliens. Finally, you could go to Sid’s house. You could make your own mutant toys, which was one of my favorite activities, make sound patterns with Sid’s boombox, and do a puzzle game to help Buzz escape a trap. I absolutely loved this game as a kid and I would give it 5 out of 5 sheriff badges.

Toy Story Animated Storybook for the PC Like the last two games, this was released sometime after the first film came out. Basically, this was a storybook version of the movie on the computer and it was fun. You could click on the characters and they do different things and there were some minigame type things where you had to do certain things like put Andy’s toys back into place or win certain aliens from the claw. This mostly follows the movie except instead of Buzz and woody failing to get onto the ramp, they git on the ramp and made it into the moving van. Overall, I’d give this 4 out of 5 sheriff badges.

Ok, so those were the official games based on the first film. Tomorrow, I’ll be talking about games from Toy Story 2 and possibly 3.

Alright, I’m back. As I mentioned, I’ll be talking about games from Toy Story 2 and maybe 3. Let’s go!

Toy Story 2:Buzz Lightyear To The Rescue! for the Playstation, N64, Dreamcast, Game Boy Color, and PC This game was released sometime after Toy Story 2 came out. This game was a 3-D platformer, unlike the game for the first one. Anyways, this was one of my favorite games as a kid. Basically, you played as Buzz and you had to, well, come to Woody’s rescue, doing tasks to get Pizza Planet Tokens as you do so. There were 15 levels in this game and you went through all the scenes from the movies. This film doesn’t follow the film perfectly well (heck,half the levels aren’t even from the film!), but it has cutscenes straight from the film. I LOVE the music in this game as well! Some of the boss level tracks are my favorites. This game has a lot of replay value too, because you have to find Mr. Potato Head’s parts in some levels to unlock special powerups for Buzz that are in later levels. Overall, I’d give this game 4 out of 5 sheriff badges.

Toy Story 2 Activity Center for the PC This game was released around the time when TS2 came out (Man, I’m starting to sound like a broken record and like the one for the first film, there were many activities to do. There was a game where you had to cross the road without getting hit, a game where you battled Zurgbots on the shelves of Al’s Toy Barn, a game with Bullseye and Woody similar to Slinky’s game in the original, a game where you had to find Woody in the case, and the print studio where you could make your own scenes and print them. There was a separate TS2 print center but I don’t own it. Overall, I’d give this game 3.5 out of 5 sheriff badges.

Toy Story Racer for the Playstation and Game Boy Color This game was released in 2001 and was actually quite different. Basically, this was kind of like Mario Kart except you had to do certain challenges to unlock new characters. There were many different types of racing challenges like normal racing cups, battle modes where you had to smash the other toys without getting hit, collect-a-thons where you had to collect things are smash dart boards, and a tag mode where you had to tag the other toys. You start off playing as Buzz, Woody, RC, and Bo Peep, each in their own special karts, and can unlock and play as Rex, Hamm, Mr. Potato Head, Slinky, Lenny, Rocky, Babyface, and the Little Green Man. There are many familiar locations from the film, like Andy’s house, Sid’s house, Pizza Planet, and even the gas station, as well as few new locations, like a mall and movie theater with of the climax scene from Toy Story playing on the screen. Oddly enough, there’s only content from the first Toy Story in this, which makes me think this game was worked on before and nearly finished before Toy Story 2 . There was also a two-player mode, which my brother and I played a lot. Overall, I’d give this 4.5 out of 5 sheriff badges.

Toy Story 3: The Video Game for the PS3, Xbox 360, Wii, DS, and PSP (which was later ported to the PS2) Last one! This game was released on June 15th, 2010, 3 days before the film came out. This game follows the movie really well and you take control of Woody, Buzz, Jessie, and even the Army Men in this game. One thing I love about this game is the Toy Box mode or as it’s called, Woody’s Roundup. This was the inspiration for Disney Infinity and I love that game. Basically, in Woody’s Roundup, you have to help friends and in return for helping them, you get different things for customization. You can customize buildings and also buy buildings and toys, like Zurg’s fortress and a sports car. Speaking of Zurg, in the PS3 you can play as Zurg in the Toy Box. Overall, I’d give this game 4.5 sheriff badges out of 5.

Whew, that’s a lot of games! Anyways, share your thoughts of these games and if you haven’t played them, I’d definitely give em’ a look!

I have “Buzz Lightyear to the Rescue!”. Pretty great game. Some of the bosses (that is, the ones you find in the levels by reaching a very high place) were laughably easy, though.

I need to remember to ask for the Toy Story 3 video game for Christmas.

^ I agree. That plane boss and the robot thingy was easy. The slime boss was friggin hard though! You had to keep shooting at it!

Finally, someone made this thread!

I always preferred the Genesis version of the original Toy Story, the extra level and soundtrack is what made it better for me (and I generally prefer SNES to the Genesis). I eventually beat the game without cheats a few summers ago (I did die a lot by the time I reached Sid’s Workbench). There was a pirated version of the original Toy Story game made on the NES in '97. The grammar is horrendous and the game ends after beating Buzz Lightyear at Dinoco. There was a GB version made a few years later that was just a watered down version of the SNES/Genesis version. It was miles better than the pirated game.

I loved Toy Story 2 the video game! I played the mess out of that game until my save file was corrupted 8D. Slime Time was the hardest level in Toy Story 2, everyone else can be taken down easily. I will say though, Woody’s face looks…off compared to the actual character, decent movie based game nonetheless. The GBC version had clunky controls and was hard to beat without using the password system. I do appreciate the effort put into the sprites.

I’m sort of mixed with the Toy Story 3 game. The PS3 version is the only worthwhile one to get because of Zurg (Xbox has the same content minus Zurg). The Wii version was completely watered down and the toybox became boring after you complete everything. Don’t get me started with the shovel-ware DS version…

Buzz Lightyear of Star Command is the only Toy Story game that I can say I equally enjoyed the portable and console versions. The GBC version was more linear but did have a decent challenge and had better controls. The console version’s soundtrack is great to listen to and the environments are fun to explore.

Speaking of Buzz Lightyear of Star Command, I should revive the old topic…

^Oh yeah! I completely forgot to put the BLOSC game on here! I remember it being a lot of fun but I remember getting stuck on the Wirewolf level because you had to kill all the enemies to advance to the next room. And I know the NES game you’re talking about. That is hilariously bad! I also had the Wii version of TS3 and I’ll admit, it was pretty boring.

I could never pass that level in BLoSC, it ticked me off so I never played it again xP oopies.

Mind you I’ve played Toy Story 2 to DEATH! When I was younger, I even cried when I losted my Save data, good to see I wasn’t the only one who lost their process! Heck when I feel like it I’d play it now and again, best level for me was Al’s Penthouse…for…one reason

Oh and Toy Story 3’s game, happy to say that I got all the achievements for that one, hardest one was breaking into the daycare and trying not to get spotted, Toy Box mode was fun as well…kinda wish they added more stuff into it though, least we got DI For that XD

SPEAKING OF DI’s Toy Story, it was kinda fun but it felt very samey only with a Space layout then a Cowboy layout :\

I played the TS2 game a TON when I was little, too. I remember finding shortcuts everywhere. In the first level, in the RC race, you could lower a shovel, jump on top of the car, and jump around the spot where the lap line was 3 times to get the Pizza Planet token. There was another one in level 5 where you could jump on top of the lamp on the first platform and go right to the boss.

So far my only experience with TS games has been the Toy Story 3 game for the Wii. And I can’t for the life of me get out of the first Andy’s Room level. Haha some videogames are just like that for me XD But overall the little I’ve played of it has been fun!

I still got my GBC an both blocs and ts2 are ok, the better one bein blocs, since ts2 wasn’t like the movie at all. It really was just out of whack, and you need cheats. Or,I did

Got TS3 for Playstation 3 on Christmas. :smiley: I’ve only tried out Toy Box Mode so far, but it’s really fun, I like it. My only complaint is that it’s kind of annoying how the alerts to come deal with bandits/robots/everything else make it near impossible to just explore everywhere in peace.

And I love how you have the option to dress up the little townspeople as other Pixar characters. I just flat out yelled “I love this game!” when I made a WALL-E villager.

Oh, and I think I got a glitch. The game seemed to detect a vein of gold where there wasn’t one. Mined like half a thousand (or it might have been a thousand. I forget. I know it bursted before I got as far as I wanted, and I’m pretty sure I wanted a thousand, so it was probably half a thousand) before the game stopped giving me coins. :mrgreen:

picked up TS for gameboy last week, at 2nd and charles, for 3 bucks. its the only place in town to get GB cartridges, abd i got stuck on sids workbench. cheat code time!