Durability of the toys in Toy Story

This is a topic that has been bothering me for a while now: How much physical damage can a toy take until it is truly considered “dead”? There are some implications with the fear of the incinerator in Toy Story 3 and explosives in Toy Story.

It’s pretty obvious that toys are susceptible to physical pain and there are many onscreen instances of this. With regards to death, however, Combat Carl is the only toy depicted in the original film that was killed. Obviously, toys have a certain point where they cannot withstand a certain amount of pain, resulting in their demise. The fact becomes a lot questionable with the concepts of dismemberment, fall from extreme heights, and battery replacement.

Dismemberment

Regarding dismemberment, the Mutant toys are a perfect example for this particular subtopic. Each part of the newly made Mutant is formed from two or more other toys. Even though the method of torture used on each toy varies, I think that the mutants are given new life by the remaining limb or head that is placed on the new base. Originally, I would have said head but Legs is among the many toys where this would not be the case. Then comes Combat Carl who is in a slightly extreme variation of dismemberment.

For starters, Combat Carl was blown to pieces by dynamite. The scattering of his various parts implies that he did not survive Sid’s torture. Unlike the other methods of torture used by Sid, his head is separated from his limbs as a result of the explosion. It can be inferred that his head is used again for Jingle Joe, potentially reanimating him in a Frankenstein-esque manner.

Falling From Heights

The next section is falling from heights. Both Toy Story 1 & 2 depict Buzz Lightyear and Zurg, respectively, falling from large heights with mild to moderate physical damage. Buzz only losses his left arm after his fall as he tumbles down the stairs. It could be argued that the fall might have prompted mental damage, most of which was caused by his realization that he was a toy. This thought is further supported by Zurg’s change in personality after Rex knocks him off the elevator in the second film. The dented horn on his head and change in attitude reflects that while toys aren’t severely impacted by certain heights physically, they can be impacted mentally.

Battery Replacement

This subtopic I’m pretty confused by since Toy Story has many toys that are sentient without the use of batteries. The only reason why this came up was because of one character:

RC is depicted in the first Toy Story to have the dual ability of free roaming by himself and the potential to be under the control of another user. Fast forward to the moving van scene, RC is susceptible of losing battery which prompts him to gradually close his eyes. While this can be interpreted that he loses the ability of movement, does this mean that certain toys are more dependent on battery power to live than others?

Sorry if this is a bit long but with Toy Story’s 20th Anniversary in a few months, we can pass some time debating about unclear topics. I’m open for any other subtopics or alternate points I may have neglected to mention.

Wow, this thread is really well thought out, you actually made me think about everything that happens to the toys.

Yeah, I used to wonder about the RC thing. I would like to think that the batteries allow him to access his motors or something to go significantly fast (didn’t his remote say turbo or something?), but without them he can just move at a normal pace. It would be like if Buzz’s karate action was battery powered, he could still move his arm in a chopping motion but it might not be the same as if someone hits his back, if that makes any sense lol.

The weirder thing about physical pain and such to me is that Woody and Buzz seem to have no problem with their arms falling clean off. Yet, Woody expresses pain about his torn arm in other instances (I thinK?). I’m gonna have to rewatch the movies now, I’m realizing I’ve forgotten a lot.

I don’t think Woody feels any pain, but just worried about his arm being gone.

Well when the prospector cut his arm, Woody did scream as if it hurt, and when he was about to hit him, he flinched. Or maybe it didn’t hurt and toys just have human reflexes.

this thread gets 3/10 IGN.
too much water.
But, id agree with pixardude and it was woody worrying, though the prospector cutting his arm would probably be moreso like surprise, because afterward he was totally alright.
jk it get r8d 8/8 great thread, m9.

The question that bothered me the most is how Buzz and the other toys can survive an hours-long play session at Sunnyside in TS3. How can Buzz fall from several feet and lose his arm, yet survive rough playtime and still be in one piece in TS3?