And the new Mr potatohead is...

Don Rickles. I guess they’re using unused recordings like Doc Hudson in cars 3.

“Of course we loved Don obviously, and after he passed, his family contacted us and asked if there was any way that we could create a performance using the recordings that we had,” Cooley tells EW. “Now, he signed to be in Toy Story 4. Unfortunately we did not get a chance to record him for the film. But we went through, jeez, 25 years of everything we didn’t use for Toy Story 1, 2, 3, the theme parks, the ice capades, the video games — everything that he’s recorded for Mr. Potato Head. And we were able to do that. And so I’m very honored that they asked us to do that, and I’m very honored that he’s in the film. Nobody can replace him.”

Interesting. Probably the best outcome. Seems like the Andy’s room gang is going to play a pretty limited role though.

I hope they can make it work while still giving the character a significant role. Though this is the best compromise in a sad situation. In addition to outtakes, Don Rickles has consistently been the voice of Mr. Potato Head in other media as well, so there might be more there.

No one else could’ve done Mr. Potato Head justice. Too bad that means he might not have much of a role in this film outside of snarky one liners and banter with the toys in the RV.