Andy's Father?

What do you think what happend with Andy’s Father?

That’s a good question, Dillinger. I’d always assumed that the reason he wasn’t included in the original Toy Story was because it’d be adding another character into the mix that wasn’t entirely necessary- having just Andy and his mum (and sister) simplifies things and reduces the number of humans having to be animated. I don’t think it was a deliberate thing by Pixar to insinuate that perhaps something else was going on (i.e. a divorce or split between Andy’s parents, or Andy’s father having passed away) because there is no mention of this and Andy, as a whole, seems to be a very healthy, well-rounded boy.

There could be any number of reasons if we want to think about in terms of a real-life story, such as I mentioned previously. Or maybe Andy’s father is away at work? Maybe he’s in the army or something? We can’t really tell.

Another point to think about is the fact that Sid’s father is also not included in the film. I think that’s also for simplicity’s sake, but it might partly explain why he’s so messed up. :laughing:

But there was a man in Sid’s house watching television, i thought that was his father :stuck_out_tongue:

I always liked to imagine him on a business trip for work, as a few days pass without any mention of him in the first Toy Story. Unfortunately I can’t remember the second movie.

Oh, I fail, Dillinger! I completely forgot about that scene. :laughing:

Maybe it was just a random stranger? Haha…Yeah, no, that was definitely Sid’s father.

Haha, everyone can forget something lizardgirl :wink:

Well, I would assume he may go away a lot on business conveniently during the time span of the movies, but in Toy Story 3 [spoil]he’s not there during the days before Andy’s departure, so he’s either on an extremely tight schedule (doubt it) or he doesn’t live at their home anymore. Perhaps he might show up when Andy leaves, but we can’t say for sure.[/spoil] And during the nighttime scenes in TS1 he’s nowhere to be found. So the only plausible theories at the moment are that he’s divorced or in the military.

EDIT: TSS makes an interesting point below. I forgot about the Christmas scene. So it’s either he’s in the military, or, unfortunately, he could be deceased.

I always thought Andy grew up without a father. but this is an interesting topic right here. i think that Andy’s dad left him at an early age and has never come back. I mean, if he was still part of the family, wouldn’t he been there for Christmas or his birthday? Or at least to help them out moving?

Ahh, TSS makes an excellent point. I think Andy doesn’t have a father in that case, good eye!

I just figured divorce. Typical situation of a mom raising kids in a nice suburban area.

Andy’s dad is dead. Dead, dead, dead, dead, dead, dead, dead.

There was an interview with Lee unkrich and John lasetter that says woody was a hand me down from his father. The original backstory was that his father is either divorced or dead. I’m going with divorced. I can see him giving him woody to show that despite the devorce his still loves Andy.

If it’s true that Woody was from Andy’s dad, then perhaps he was a fan of Woody’s Roundup. He could be about that age when it was still on.

Honestly, I agree with lizardgirl first comment. It could just be that they didnt want to animate so much, I mean it was the first 3D animated movie ever how far could they go? Toy story doesn’t seem to be a movie you could really dig deep and find something (Like the Incredibles) But it is a Pixar movie so the potential is always there! :sunglasses:

It looks like Andy’s family is just waaaay too functional for Andy’s dad to be seperated. Bereavement would be a choice, or maybe Andy never got to know his dad at all, possibly a promiscuous relationship, but then again, Andy’s mum doesn’t have that sort of personality though. And what about Molly? Could both children be simply adopted by Andy’s mum by herself, hence then a single-parent family?

I’ve always thought that maybe he died in a war or something. I remember hearing in something called “The ultimate guide to movies” or something like that, that Andy’s mom is a widow.

Then again I never actually read it, I just heard it was in there.

shrugs

I think Andy’s parents are divorced (possibly explaining when Andy leaves again in TS2’s ending?) and he is very busy. But KarmaWolf is right. Andy’s mom is widow meaning he’s dead.

Leaves a second time? What you talking about? He leaves and returns once from cowboy camp. Sure he leaves the room if you want to get technical, but he could have been downstairs to eat for all we know.

That might be revealed in the third movie, but i heard that Andy is going to college. :wink:

It is true he is dead or divorsed. Mabey Andy likes Woody alot because it was the last gift his dad gave to him.