Pixar Planet

The Art of Toy Story 3

Talk about Pixar's three Toy Story movies here!

Moderators: Pixar Planet Moderators, The Brain Trust

Postby DNs24voices » Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:49 am

Last edited by DNs24voices on Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DNs24voices
Mutant Toy

Postby Bryko614 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:40 am

The review is up! He had quite a few good things to say. Contains some spoilers, though.

I love the new art we get to see here. I like the subtle changes they made to Woody this time as well as some of the earlier concepts for Lotso.

http://parkablogs.com/content/book-revi ... oy-story-3
Bryko614
Upcoming Pixar • Chief Writer

Postby Kyle » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:46 am

Holy crap, that Woody page alone would be great reference for me to work with. ( as you guy may have seen on the board board,Ive been trying to model my own version of the characters myself from scratch)
PIXAR>>>You
Kyle
Master Scarer

Postby JJejja » Sat May 01, 2010 10:10 pm

I just pre-ordered it from amazon :D No, I couldn't wait until after I've seen the movie, :P But the delivery estimate date is June 4 - June 18... aww man :( That's like an eternity away.... xD
JJejja
Mutant Toy

Postby Pixar Builder » Sun May 02, 2010 12:44 am

What I usually find when ordering PIXART books, is that by the time the book finally arrives on your doorstep, it's already been on sale at Borders/ Barnes & Noble two days ago. I'm just planning on going to my nearest bookstore and buying it on it's scheduled release date.
Join our new Flickr Group Pixar Planet Pixels today!

Pixar Builder
AXIOM Crewmember

Postby Bryko614 » Tue May 04, 2010 12:11 am

Sort of unrelated, but tomorrow's the day that most of the Toy Story 3 books are getting released. Being a spoiler fan myself, I'm getting the Junior Novelization for sure, and possibly The Essential Guide. I'm iffy on that because Amazon lists it for June 1st but the Barnes and Noble site says tomorrow. We'll see. But either way, I'm pretty excited.

I bought the novelization for Up last year, and it was pretty much spot on to the final movie. The only major differences were that Ellie's miscarriage was removed, the dream sequence of hanging Russell from the house was removed, the scene where Carl meets Muntz was totally different (they made Muntz a bit more intimidating), and Muntz floated up instead of down. I would guess that it was based on a slightly earlier script (mainly referring to the Muntz changes). Other than that, the dialogue was almost word for word. I can't wait to see how the TS3 novel fairs and what kinds of differences it may have. Plus it's fun to imagine what the movie will be like and see if your vision matches up with Pixar's.
Bryko614

Postby love70ways » Tue May 04, 2010 3:10 am

I'm just wondering, why was Woody's pull cord ring enlarged? Does he get a new one by the time of TS3?
love70ways
AXIOM Crewmember

Postby gazelle » Tue May 04, 2010 3:29 am

love70ways wrote:I'm just wondering, why was Woody's pull cord ring enlarged? Does he get a new one by the time of TS3?

Jessie broke it during the filming of Toy Story 2 remember??? :D JK!
"Should we just make that part of the movie now?"

--

I want the Junior Novelization so badly. But until recently I was also into spoilers and reading what scripts I could find before seeing films and such. Because I'm so into the emotion, especially the fresh kind, when seeing movies I've been resisting these kids of things. I think I'm still going to try and hold out for Toy Story 3. Come on will power! I need you right now!
gazelle
Garbage Boy

Postby Kyle » Tue May 04, 2010 4:04 am

love70ways wrote:I'm just wondering, why was Woody's pull cord ring enlarged? Does he get a new one by the time of TS3?

Based on what? The toy? or have you seen a larger one in the movie or artwork in the film?
PIXAR>>>You
Kyle
Master Scarer

Postby Bryko614 » Tue May 04, 2010 9:51 am

Kyle: In the art book they show the differences between TS2 and TS3 Woody, and the ring is a bit different.

They probably upscaled the ring and the golden parts to make it more visually appealing.
Bryko614

Postby Theclaw » Tue May 04, 2010 10:27 am

I've had this on pre order since Feb with amazon. Looks like it won't hit the UK till mid July. It's gonna be a long old wait.
I'm sheriff Woody. Howdy howdy howdy
Theclaw
Garbage Boy

Postby love70ways » Tue May 04, 2010 9:52 pm

Bryko614 wrote:Kyle: In the art book they show the differences between TS2 and TS3 Woody, and the ring is a bit different.

They probably upscaled the ring and the golden parts to make it more visually appealing.

Yes Kyle, as Bryoko mentioned their are two different pictures shown in the Art Book for comparison. Check out the link to the review he posted; I think it was down quite a bit - just two shots of Woody's back.

I do understand why the ring was upscaled in terms of this being a film and the creators wanting to please the audience visually. However, it just doesn't make sense to me in terms of Woody being a toy, you know? His ring wouldn't just change colors and grow. So, Andy must break it somehow in the course of his life and it has to be replaced, right? I seriously doubt that they'll dwell into this during the film, but the fact of the matter is he has a new ring and the old one is gone.

I guess I'm just wondering if there is any justification behind the upscale in the world of Toy Story itself.

Oh, and, high-five! :wink:
love70ways
AXIOM Crewmember

Postby Pixar Builder » Tue May 04, 2010 10:45 pm

Well, they did that for the new Woody doll in the Toy Story Collection as well. Maybe there's a correlation of sorts? Nah, probably just a coincidence.
Join our new Flickr Group Pixar Planet Pixels today!

Pixar Builder
AXIOM Crewmember

Postby SpongeTheSquid » Wed May 05, 2010 1:17 am

That video has got me wondering one thing.

[spoil]I wonder what the scene that is at the main end of the video showing the book, the one with group of toys sitting on a porch, including Buzz, Woody, Jessie, Rex, Trixie, Slink, and Totoro.[/spoil]
SpongeTheSquid
Shark Bait

Postby Kyle » Wed May 05, 2010 1:26 am

Ahh, I see now. well I think this isn't something that has any thought behind it, its simply a further refinement of the original design. maybe they thought the ring looked too small to fit a finger through originally. I think this is akin to the the collar getting thicker and elbows being rounded a bit more, he didn't get a new shirt either, their just minor tweaks that should go unnoticed.

The size different is still small enough that no one should notice except us, and chances are we wouldn't have picked up on it had there not been a comparison pic.
even with the larger ring, its still noticeably smaller than the toy's have it. Now that would be a jarring change if you ask me.

speaking of which, I'd still really like to find a smaller white ring for my TSC Woody, if anyone has an idea of what could be used for that I'm all ears.

as for the color, that's something that Can be explained actually, I can see the ring getting darker in color over the years. even turning a bit yellow. (but I don't think it has)
PIXAR>>>You
Kyle
Master Scarer

PreviousNext

Return to Toy Story