Character Discussion: Stinky Pete

I hope you all are enjoying my Character Discussion threads! So, anyway, I was a little distressed to see that Stinky Pete hasn’t been receiving very many votes in the ‘Favorite Pixar Villains’ thread. While he’s by no means the best Pixar villain, I believe he’s a ver underrated character and deserves at least an honorable mention. I love the way that he starts out out as a humble paternal figure and then provides an antagonistic turn that I doubt very few viewers saw coming. And as usual, Kelsey Grammar does a superb job bringing his famous worldlyness to the character. So, for good or bad, what do the rest of you think of Stinky Pete?

I’m loving your character discussion threads, WheezysBestBud! :smiley:

In a way, Stinky Pete is similar to Waternoose in that they both start off as grandfatherly characters that both the audience and the other characters trust, and they both turn out to be villainous. You sort of have to feel for Stinky Pete, being left on the shelf for so long, so you can understand why he couldn’t quite grasp the idea of the happiness that a toy could experience being played with by a child, but on the other hand his reason for being so ‘evil’ at the end almost seems trivial- surely a lot of other toys would have experienced the same thing?

So, I’m in two minds about Stinky Pete. I agree that Kelsey Grammar adds a lot of weight to the character and I love his turnaround, especially as it’s quite believable, but I always get the feeling that something else must’ve happened to make him so bitter.

Same with Muntz.

When I bought the ‘TS’ & ‘TS2’ movie program in Japan, there was the Prospector “Stinky Pete” drawn in color with these written above left of him and to the bottom right.

Above left:
Toy Story Sequel
Walt Disney Pictures-Pixar
Feb 14, 1997
APPROVED

Bottom right:
[signature] Randy Berrett

So if this is true, then his birthday is on Valentines Day and he is controlled by Uranus with a capital “U”. But doesn’t he pass gas? Anyways, check out his astrology.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aquarius_(astrology
Aquarius (:aquarius:) is the eleventh astrological sign in the Zodiac, originating from the constellation Aquarius. In western astrology, the sign is no longer aligned with the constellation as a result of the precession of the equinoxes. In astrology, Aquarius is considered a “masculine”, positive (extrovert) sign. It is also considered an air sign and is one of four fixed signs.[3] Aquarius has been traditionally ruled by the planet Saturn, and, since its discovery, Uranus has been considered a modern ruler of this sign. Being the eleventh sign of the zodiac, Aquarius is associated with the astrological eleventh house.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aquarius_(astrology

Air Signs (Gemini, Libra, and Aquarius)-- The Air signs possess the virtue of knowledge. This does not mean they are more intelligent than anyone else but are generally well rounded and informed. They are good communicators. Most have a good grasp of the language and generally know a little something about everything. They have good personalities and are easy to get to know. The Air signs are what the philosophers called seers or priests. These are mentally inclined people. They actively acquire knowledge through experience, education and association. In ancient times, the only educated people were either priests, royalty or those who took it upon themselves to acquire knowledge (seers). The Air signs are curious, have initiative, are original, generally are well-disciplined and are quick thinkers. The Air signs have a mental nature and are keen witted. They rationalize by thinking things out rather than being influenced by emotional or physical factors. They enjoy any type of entertainment where they can use their intellectual capacity and their ability to think quickly and accurately often gives them the upper hand. The emotional nature of the Air signs is directed toward self appraisal. These people have a tendency to judge themselves very harshly. They have certain standards they set for themselves such as hygiene, the way they dress, education, job performance and family. The Air signs are almost as ego-oriented as the Fire signs. Air signs resort to trickery. These people are crafty, under handed and ingenious when it comes to evil. They are also prone to physical violence. Whereas the Fire signs’ anger is generally of the moment and soon after forgotten, the Air signs at their worst are mean. They carry a grudge, and like Fire signs, they are quick to express their opinion and are very opinionated. Aquarius and Libra are not as violent as Gemini. Gemini and mind altering drugs such as alcohol just do not mix. The Air signs will not hesitate one moment to express their anger verbally, but physical violence is not a first choice during that anger (the exception being Gemini who will act in an instant).[3]
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_sign#The_four_elements

I love Mr. Waternoose and Stinky Pete through the movies. They’re great villains and totally fit into the stories. I have a feeling [spoil]Lotso[/spoil] will be the same way…

I also love stinky pete. I was very sad to see him go at the end. I wouldve loved if he had been converted to a normal toys opinions. Like they take him to andys room and he realizes how wrong he was.

I’m glad they never turned him around, too many movies do that, and I cant think of any believable way to change his mind.

Yeah I completely agree with Kyle. I feel like it would’ve weakened the movie if he just became good at the end.

Awe yes Stinky Pete, I agree. It was much better that he just didn’t turn out good in the end, LOL his punishment was great :stuck_out_tongue:

You think so? I thought his punishment was very forced and I never really bought it. How could that girl give him a makeover? It’s easy to paint a Barbie’s face because they’re so small, but Stinky Pete’s features take up most of his face. There’s no way that Amy could make him up without making him look more hideous than he already is. Like I said, I just saw it as a very tacked-on resolution.

Shes a kid, their idea of a make over involves make up. Doesnt matter how ugly something/someone is, in thier eyes its nothing that cant be cured with some lip stick and eye shadow.

I’m always in two minds about his punishment. On the one hand, it’s pretty funny, but on the other hand I don’t think it was perhaps the most creative of endings. It was very convenient though and meant that the resolution of his character wasn’t dragged out too much.

In a way Pete and Waternoose are almost identicle, I’d even go as far as to say Waternoose ripped him off.

Think about it, both are chubby grandfatherly figures, who betray the main characters for fear of kids causing genocide of his kind.

i also believe that stinky pete not being turned around was a good thing. His leaving scene could have been better though. It is all still great in the end.

Out of curiosity, am I the only one who wishes that Stinky Pete had done an evil laugh at some point? Anyone who’s watched The Simpsons knows that Kelsey Grammar has the most awesome evil laugh ever. Of course, it probably wouldn’t have gone with his character, so maybe it’s just as well that Pixar resisted the temptation.

an evil laugh for stinky pete would not have fit his character, sure as heck fit sids character though

Pete’s too much of a ‘serious’ villain to laugh. He doesn’t revel in his work like Sid did (I refer to the laugh when he’s preparing to kill Combat Carl).

Stinky Pete is often all about subtlety- just look at the way he convinced Woody that he was a good guy. He acted so much like the voice of reason so many times, such as breaking up the fight between Jessie and Woody when the TV came on.

Thats a good point. Although he was a bad guy he wasnt as… well, evil hearted as most villians. His motivations could be viewed as good although he certainly did some bad things. I think i almost view him as an antihero type.

I wouldn’t go as far as to put him into the anti hero category. any decent villain thinks he is in the right, and knows how to rationalize their motives to the viewer. not every villain has to be over the top evil like Sid or most other Disney villains.

Yeah, I’d call him a sympathetic villian. Since the movie does a great job of going in-depth with his backstory, you can somewhat rationalize his decisions, however, it’s never enough that you lose track of who the good guys are. Sid didn’t need a reason, he was crazy and evil.