Which movie is your favourite?

Toy Story or Toy Story 2?

• Toy Story
  • Toy Story 2

0 voters

Me and my friends argue a lot over which one is better. They’re both great in my opinion, and they’re both in my top 10 movies. Which one do you like more and why?

TS1.
I feel that the dialog and timing are better in TS1 than in TS2 for some reason.

The original is always better - but I chose for Toy Story 2.

For some reason I liked it more. I don’t know why. It just… speaks to me more in some way. Also, when I was little I watched it DAILY. Yup, with horrid Dutch voiceovers. xD
However, the original is mighty awesome as well - I just have less memories of it.

This is, along with Pikmin 2, the only sequel which I like better than the original.

Can’t vote. They each have their equal share of memories for me, and both exceeded in entertainment value as well.

I really think that, taken as a pair, they’re Practically Perfect in Every Way (to quote Mary Poppins), but I have to vote for the original, because I ended up really loving Sid and the Mutant Toys.

Um, Toy Story 2, Duh!! :smiley:

I think they’re on absolutely equal standings. If I had to choose though, I’d probably go with 2, because I adore all the new characters. But honestly, I love them both the same.

Kyle gave me some advice, saying this is the better poll of the two, and I agree that for the time being a poll with just the first two films makes more sense, so I’m opening this one up and locking the other one. Sorry for the hassle, guys.

Wow, there’s a complete tie!

I honestly love them both, and would probably love them both more if I had them on DVD. I have both on VHS upstairs with an old CRT television set.

But I couldn’t imagine Toy Story anymore without Bullseye and Jessie.

I voted for the original because as much as I love Toy Story 2, there’s something particularly special about the original that I don’t think any Pixar film has ever managed to achieve since. I guess I’m just very attached to it in a way that I won’t ever be with the sequel.

toy story 2 was just as good as the original in my opinion. but if i have to choose… i think i’ll go with toy story because it was my favorite movie as a kid.

I chose Toy Story 2. This is mainly because I have watched it twice in the past week. I am also a Woody, I loved him so much when I was younger, and the second film is Woody’s. It is so hard to choose, because Toy Story really is a classic… Woody is what puts it over the edge I guess.

lol

I find Toy Story better than Toy Story 2 in almost every way. I love both films but I just think Toy Story is so much better.

It’s really hard for me, personally, to pick a favorite Toy Story film, since they flow so perfectly together that it just seems like one long film, just spliced up. Still, my childhood nostalgia is urging me to choose Toy Story.

Toy Story easily for me, even though I do love Toy Story 2.
Probably has a lot to do with nostalgia, and Sid was the better, more fun villain imo.

I’m kind of surprised by the statistical dead heat here, but I guess it makes for more interesting conversation when there’s not a lot of agreement.

This is pretty easy for me: Toy Story 2. I still love the first film, and it’s not just the technological advances. Toy Story was a great movie, but the narrative stayed pretty safe. You pretty much knew from the start what Woody should do and what he was eventually going to do and where he and Buzz would end up, not that any of this made the film dull in any way. Toy Story 2 takes more narrative risks. This is where Pixar started their very bold move of making films that still appealed to kids, but were told from the point of view of a character who was in the role of parent, an idea that would continue to play out through several Pixar films afterwards. The story takes more risks. It deals with some pretty serious themes - mortality, abandonment, losing someone you love, how you choose to live you life - and all without becoming excessively morose. I wasn’t quite as certain how the film would end or how I wanted everything to turn out as I was with the first film. I knew Woody belonged with Andy because a toy’s reason for living in the films is to be loved and played with by a child. But at the same time, I didn’t want to see this character I had grown to love be abandoned or discarded. Woody has a real choice to make with real consequences, which will come to fruition in Toy Story 3.

It’s not an easy choice and I think part of the reason I love Toy Story 2 as much as I do is because I loved the characters in the original film so much and getting to spend more time with them was such a treat. My personal feeling is that a good sequel kind of has to top the original film, or else it’s not taking advantage of the fact that there was a first movie that already did the job of introducing all the characters and concepts. Toy Story 2 is quite possibly my favorite sequel to anything ever, so it certainly accomplishes that task.

While I completely agree with your logic about the relative strengths of the narratives of each film, I still cast my vote for the original, for one reason. and it isn’t simply that Toy Story was a groundbreaking film on numerous levels (although it certainly was).

My reason for choosing the first film is that, without the incredible cinematic landscape that was realized in it, there could never have been a second film. Now, I realize that at first that seems like an obvious, even trite statement (kind of a “well, duh!” response might seem appropriate). But what I mean by my comment is that I believe the narrative sacrifices were necessary in the first film to allow the character relationships to develop the way they did, and that is what makes the film work so remarkably well, and also makes possible the story told in the second film. I believe that, had the story of the second film been told as the first, it would not have resonated nearly as well. The reason it does work so remarkably well in the second film is because we already know and love the core characters, and we accept the premise of their world completely. And all of the credit for that acceptance goes to the first film.