List of Ken Outfits

I’ve seen this list referred to a few times across different boards but I can’t seem to find it. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks! (In advance of course)

Full credit to the Pixar Planet forum member who put together the following list (it certainly wasn’t me):

The outfits seen in the film, besides Animal Lovin Ken’s stock outfit he
came in.

Rock Star- manbehindthedoll.com/2952.htm

Bathrobe outfit (when Potato Head kicks Ken in one of the trailers)
manbehindthedoll.com/665.htm

Green/black shorts outfit (Ken stands behind Lotso “You’ve got a
playdate with destiny”) manbehindthedoll.com/68040-91.htm

I haven’t seen the film yet (delayed release down under), so there may be more. I think Ken also wore a different outfit in the “Ken’s Dating Tips” commercials, but I’m not completely sure.

On a related note, they actually showed the box Ken came in with Groovin’ With Ken!, and it was his neon green tank top outfit (posted above).

Can’t find it right now, but I’m pretty sure there’s a hip-hop Ken in real life.

Thanks Agent 86!

I don’t think this is a spoiler but I’ll block it out anyway.

Ken wears 21 different outfits total in the movie, however there are many more on the racks in his closet.

I was under the impression the list was a “Complete” list but now that I know it’s only a few I’ll continue to work on mine.

I’ll keep updating this list as I go but here is what I have so far -

-1964 Ken Travel series Ken in Switzerland

-1970 Live Action Ken

-1972 Ken & Brad Wide Awake Stripes

-1977 Ken Best Buy Fashions Beige Jumpsuit (FOR DONNY OSMOND DOLL,TOO!)

-1986 Tennis Ken

-1988 Animal Lovin Ken

-1988 Cool Times Ken

…and a mix of these 2 to create the one in the movie…

-1989 Ken and the All-Stars
-1989 Sports Club Ken

g

-1991 Ken Cool Career Fashions Rock Star Outfit

-1991 Sun Sensation Ken

As for the other outfits you listed…the outfits may be based on them but they are not the ones seen on screen.

Thanks again!

OK- Already an update…

As I said before the bathrobe listed above is incorrect.

The correct outfit (although still not screen accurate as it doesn’t have the Gold embroidered K) is,

-1972 Ken & Brad Wide Awake Stripes

…And another one…

-1977 Ken Best Buy Fashions Beige Jumpsuit (FOR DONNY OSMOND DOLL,TOO!)

You’re right, it’s Wide Awake Stripes and Not the 1990s Active Wear bathrobe outfit. In my defense, the two look somewhat similar, at least in passing.

Ken’s box shown in Groovin With Ken is NOT the box Ken comes in- based on his initial outfit- he’s 1988’s Animal Lovin’ Ken- manbehindthedoll.com/animalovin.htm

The Ken they’ve shown in the box, “your name is 8 times smaller than Barbie’s” looks like Workout Ken- a foreign doll from Peru- manbehindthedoll.com/rollerblade.htm and his shorts are wrong for that boxed Ken image in Groovin with Ken. Actually after seeing the video again- that isn’t really any outfit I remember on a packaged Ken doll- neon green tank with dark blue piping with dark blue shorts. Looks like a 1990s Go In Style outfit really.

The hip hop outfit is from Cool Times Ken (1988)- manbehindthedoll.com/cooltimes.htm

The heart boxers are (color reversed) from 1961’s In Training- manbehindthedoll.com/780.htm

Anything else not covered? You can also see Ken’s Best Buy outfit hanging on the rack in the Groovin With Ken- when he’s sitting on the footstool- Its a polka dot shirt with denim cuffs, collar and yoke. I can’t find a pic just now.

Btw, Jef Beck, the guy who Pixar asked for help on Ken, deserves a huge shout out for all his amazing detail work on Ken. His site is here- manbehindthedoll.com/

-Omar

Best outfit ever!

Didn’t realize he’d already mention Cool Times and Animal Lovin’ Ken; I just was adding my input. :smiley:

Yeah, Cool Times Ken’s outfit rocks! Though I’d love to wear Wide Awake Stripes myself -Omar

oh my gosh. i can’t believe that these are real.

“his own chimpanzee to care for and love!” i am laughing so much right now.

I wonder what happened to Ken’s chimpanzee in the movie. He had to of had him back in the 80s!

A few more have been added.

:smiley:

Wide Awake Stripes didn’t always come with the K on the robe. Groovin with ken has it on the robe, but elsewhere its missing.

cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi … 602_263622

rubylane.com/item/609363-RL0 … en-Doll-He

-Omar

I already said that in my earlier post…I said that they don’t come with the K so therefore it wouldn’t be screen accurate… :question:

He grew up into the Jolly Chimp. ROFL!

Or he’s hanging out with the barrel of monkeys. :stuck_out_tongue: -Omar

Ken is indeed a well-dressed man.

[size=92]I want that rock star jacket.[/size]

Well, his box is definately shown in Groovin’ with Ken!, and it shows he comes with one of the outfits he wears during the movie. I mean, like DarXide posted, there were a lot of outfits that were only available with a Ken doll, so it isn’t limited to Animal Lovin’ Ken. With that being said, I’m PhotoShopping a picture of Ken’s box.

My girl cousins grew up in the 80’s, and I may have to ask for a Ken…

If Ken is based off Animal Lovin’ Ken, then the box shown in Groovin’ with Ken is not the same box and therefore not the same particular Ken.

The idea was to show that Barbie’s name is eight times larger than Ken’s, even on any Ken’s box.

As for the grreen/navy blue outfit, its not the same as the striped green/black outfit shown in the trailers (You’ve got a playdate with destiny) -Omar

The actual Ken doll isn’t necessarily based off of Animal Lovin’ Ken. They happen to have the same mold, but so do some of the other outfits he wears, so there’s nothing that suggests that Ken was originally Animal Lovin’ Ken.
Here’s the full pic of Ken’s box (sorry, this was just a quick PhotoShop to piece things together).

Time to pull out my bubble burster…

From the mouth of Lee Unkrich -

".[i]…Director Lee Unkrich, who did an extensive casting search, had his eureka moment when he came upon Animal Lovin’ Ken from 1988.

“I looked at all of them, and there was just something about that sweep of molded hair and that particular outfit he was wearing,” he says. Indeed, nothing says “look at me” like light-blue short-shorts, sock-free moccasins, a jaunty ascot and an animal-print shirt open down to there…Sadly, one accessory that came with the ensemble was left out: a chimpanzee. Says Unkrich: "I’ve had people say to me, ‘Why didn’t you put the chimp in?’ "

But who needs a hairy beast when you have Barbie, back after a stellar turn behind the wheel of her pink convertible in 1999’s Toy Story 2, to keep Ken besotted?[/i]"

Ken is and has always been from date of manufacture - Animal Lovin’ Ken.

Now the semi-douchey thing that Lee and the other fine, fine people at Pixar did, just to cause us to go out of our minds searching for the original Animal Lovin’ Ken (and ensure our only option was to purchase the TS3 Ken and Barbie made for each other set to get him) -

“…A somewhat altered Toy Story 3 version of the doll is available. But don’t expect to find many of the originals being sold online. “We have a stack of them in the office,” the director says. "We bought them up on eBay for years, knowing they would be in demand after the movie came out. Now you can’t find them.”