Pixar Planet

Where in the United States is Toy Story actually based?

Talk about Pixar's three Toy Story movies here!

Moderators: Pixar Planet Moderators, The Brain Trust

Where in the United States is Toy Story actually based?

Postby B2R4D » Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:52 pm

Unless I have missed something along the way, never have I come across the actual location of where each of the Toy Story films take place. Obviously, I know for a start that it is based within the United States, but where? The town or city and the state where Andy, his toys and his family lives is really questionable.

Like some other television shows and films, sometimes the writers prefer not to disclose such information. Who knows? This may or may not be the case with Toy Story. Hence, that is why I'd appreciate some of your opinions. Of course, the purpose of this post is just for some fun, and to see what everyone thinks regarding the topic.
Last edited by B2R4D on Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thanks guys!
<b>B2R4D</b>
B2R4D

Postby Bryko614 » Sat Jul 10, 2010 1:24 pm

Wikipedia says Michigan for 2 and 3 at least. Not sure what the source is.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:F ... n_Michigan
Bryko614
Upcoming Pixar • Chief Writer

Postby Chopperface » Sat Jul 10, 2010 1:26 pm

Probably just a typical "Anytown, USA." If it gets cold enough to snow at Christmas, it sure as hell ain't Texas. That much I know. Then again, we did have a nice dusting this past December... and then Valentine's Day was awesome!
Chopperface
Garbage Boy

Postby lennonluvr9 » Sat Jul 10, 2010 1:36 pm

If thats true I had no idea it was set in Michigan. I'm not sure if where he lives was ever officially established. Although, that would also give clues as to what college he's going to. He's close enough to drive there, after all.
~Celeste~
"You would not believe what I've been through tonight!"

"That's what comes of teaching science by television" -Prof. Foot, Help!
lennonluvr9
Master Scarer

Postby Within A Nutshell » Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:53 pm

It's not Ohio - the weather's not sporadic enough. :P
Within A Nutshell
Shark Bait

Postby twitchA113 » Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:24 pm

For some oddreason, I thoguht they lived in Rhode Island. The small shops (like in the area where Scud chases Buzz), large houses and snow and rain levels lead me to think they live there.
twitchA113
Shark Bait

Postby Kyle » Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:36 pm

I thought it was California, since al's toy barn is shown on etch a sketch (and that commercial they got it from) to be where Pixar's studio is located, which would be Emryville CA.
PIXAR>>>You
Kyle
Master Scarer

Postby frontierqueen » Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:36 pm

It may be as mysterious as which Springfield the Simpsons live in.
frontierqueen
Shark Bait

Postby YouUnculturedSwine » Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:05 pm

I'm curious as to how far he moved between the first and second. Unless it's coincidence, he must've stayed pretty close for Sid to be around..
What are you looking at you hockey puck?
YouUnculturedSwine
Garbage Boy

Postby OneEyedBart95 » Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:55 pm

Excluding "Tri-County Area" They never really gave any other information. Unless the town is actully called "Tri-County", because everything seems to reference that, especially Hamm. "There are more than 2,200 licence plates registered in the Tri-County Area alone" "Availiable at all Al's Toy Barn outlets in the Tri-County Area" and in TS3, [spoil]The Garbage Dump has a sign that says "Tri-County Dump"[/spoil] and despite the move in the first one, it's still the same. Just an interesting factor i've noticed. Then again... [spoil]Sid's the Garbage boy, so I guess they didn't move too far away...[/spoil]
OneEyedBart95
Garbage Boy

Postby B2R4D » Sun Jul 11, 2010 12:36 am

OneEyedBart95 wrote:Excluding "Tri-County Area" They never really gave any other information. Unless the town is actully called "Tri-County", because everything seems to reference that, especially Hamm. "There are more than 2,200 licence plates registered in the Tri-County Area alone" "Availiable at all Al's Toy Barn outlets in the Tri-County Area" and in TS3, [spoil]The Garbage Dump has a sign that says "Tri-County Dump"[/spoil] and despite the move in the first one, it's still the same. Just an interesting factor i've noticed. Then again... [spoil]Sid's the Garbage boy, so I guess they didn't move too far away...[/spoil]

Thanks for the help. I actually just did a Google search and found this:
http://pixar.wikia.com/Tri-County_International_Airport

It's about the airport in Toy Story 2, which seems to be named Tri-County International Airport. So, now that we have found some clues it is obvious that the films are based somewhere within this place called Tri-County. Hmmm..
Thanks guys!
<b>B2R4D</b>
B2R4D

Postby OneEyedBart95 » Sun Jul 11, 2010 2:03 am

B2R4D wrote:It's about the airport in Toy Story 2, which seems to be named Tri-County International Airport. So, now that we have found some clues it is obvious that the films are based somewhere within this place called Tri-County. Hmmm..

Thanks for pointing that out. I didn't even think about the airport, but it's true. Every location references "Tri-County".
OneEyedBart95
Garbage Boy

Postby Ding » Sun Jul 11, 2010 2:55 am

Hmm... According to this article, Toy Story 3 contains some references to Chagrin Falls, Ohio, where Lee Unkrich was born and raised. For example, Andy's Mom's license plate frame reads "Tiger Pride", referencing the mascot of Chagrin Falls, the Tiger.

These are probably just little easter eggs and TS2 and 3 probably don't actually take place in Chagrin Falls. It might be wishful thinking, but it sure would be awesome if it was true, because I literally live ten minutes away from there, and I've even been there before!
Ding
AXIOM Crewmember

Postby KarmaWolf » Sun Jul 11, 2010 6:48 am

I've always assumed that it was California because (like Kyle said), Etch drew a map in the second movie to help find Woody and the map had some routes and stuff that is only in California.

Either that or it's kinda like Springfield in The Simpsons, so God only knows where they are in the US. Then again I've heard that Springfield is in some made up state called North Tacoma. I don't know how true that is though.

Anyway, maybe it's the same for Toy Story. On the license plates, [spoil]the garbage dump sign[/spoil] and I think on a few certificates it says Tri County. I've always thought that Tri County is just the name of a town, but if it's on a license plate then maybe it's a made up state(?)
Image"Mew! :3" Twitter= @KarmaWolf
KarmaWolf
Garbage Boy

Postby B2R4D » Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:49 am

KarmaWolf wrote:I've always assumed that it was California because (like Kyle said), Etch drew a map in the second movie to help find Woody and the map had some routes and stuff that is only in California.

Either that or it's kinda like Springfield in The Simpsons, so God only knows where they are in the US. Then again I've heard that Springfield is in some made up state called North Tacoma. I don't know how true that is though.

Anyway, maybe it's the same for Toy Story. On the license plates, [spoil]the garbage dump sign[/spoil] and I think on a few certificates it says Tri County. I've always thought that Tri County is just the name of a town, but if it's on a license plate then maybe it's a made up state(?)

Good point man. As you said, if Tri-County is on a license plate then it most likely may be a fictional state. This is however conflicted when Hamm says "There are more than 2,200 licence plates registered in the Tri-County Area alone". If you analyse the quote, he refers to Tri-County as an area instead of a state.

As you pointed out, the situation is much like the one we have with the location of The Simpsons. There are all these great clues that we pick up on, yet when we put them all together they don't make sense. I guess that is the beauty of it though. I think writers purposely spurt out little clues here and there just to get the audience thinking.. The location of Toy Story could be a classic example of Anytown, USA. I'd still like to think that it is set somewhere, or if not, then heavily based on a realistic location.
Thanks guys!
<b>B2R4D</b>
B2R4D

Next

Return to Toy Story