Chatter Telephone (spoilers!)

I couldn’t find another thread about this character. Apologies if one already exists and I just missed it.

So, anyone else surprised that he turned out to be a wholly benevolent character? After how he was presented in the trailer, I mean? There, as you may recall, they made him look like quite a sinister character, chiefly by taking his “You and your friends ain’t ever getting out of here” line out of context, and making it look like he was threatening Woody, when in reality, he was giving him a friendly warning. In the end, he was such a sweet little toy, so much so that it broke my heart when [spoil]he showed up during the pre-climax confrontation and said, “I’m sorry, Woody…they broke me.”[/spoil] He may well be my second favourite new character (Ken being my undisputed first). I just wondered if anyone else here loved him as much as I did.

I also really liked Chatterphone! I loved how they were able to make his voice sound lik it was coming actually through a telephone and not someone’s actual mouth!

I also really liked when Woody and the gang embarked on their escape and they showed Chatter looking through a window and then he said something along the lines of “You get 'em Cowboy” (forgive me for forgetting the actual line). It was a really empowering moment!

I felt the marketing also misdirected his personality. I hated how he was bruised as well. Still, he is a very interesting character that I hope we get to see more of in the Toy Story Toons.

Chatter Phone has always been my favorite new character, and personally when I first saw him in the trailer I took it as a warning instead of a threat. Then I heard people talking of him being evil, and I still liked him, I just assumed that I had misunderstood his line. Then it turned out that he really was good, so now I like him more that ever! Now if only I could find a real one!

The Chatter Telephone was definitely my favorite new character, both because he was one of the proud and the few good guy new toys introduced and because I just love classic toys like that.

I liked that Toy Story 3 brought back another classic toy. He did have a pretty interesting role as the old-timer, and would actually provide help. His voice was surprising, but then again, I never expected him to talk from the phone. And I also felt sad when I saw his fate.

they also made lotso seem like a friendly charater in the trailer, but turns out to be the villan half way towards the film, which makes a great twist in film…same idea for chatter phone (like said): seem unfrienldy in the trailer, but turns out to help andy’s toys.

Yes, I loved Chatterphone too. I felt so bad when I saw what happened to him. For the rest of the movie I kept hoping that he would be OK in the end.

Anne

I found him a bit unnerving at first, but when his [spoil]good intentions were revealed, I definitely grew to like him. Felt so sorry for him when the others did what they did to him, too.[/spoil]

When I first saw Chatter Telephone in the trailer telling Woody “You and your friends ain’t ever getting out of here!” I though it was a threat and that he was working for Lotso, [spoil]but after finding out that he was an ally I like him even more. I even felt bad when I saw him get hurt.[/spoil]

That was probably the intention. I felt that way as well

[spoil]I do find it a bit humorous that the Chatter Phone is treated as an old “seasoned veteran” type of toy in the film, and is even referred to as “old timer” by Woody, when Woody himself (and Jessie and Bullseye) are all older than the Chatter Phone, given that it was introduced in 1962. Woody’s Roundup supposedly aired in the 40s and 50s.[/spoil]

Agreed that Chatter Phone is awesome. His voice is so fast-paced and laid back that it reminds me of Gill from Finding Nemo. That line he gave during the [spoil]escape/confrontation with Lotso[/spoil] scene gave me chills.

This is an example of a [spoil]‘surprise hero’[/spoil]. Pixar should do more of these. :slight_smile:

But yeah, he turns out to be Woody and the gang’s [spoil]Inside Man[/spoil]! :smiley: Who was he voiced by again?

Teddy Newton.

I thought he was awesome, and I felt bad about what the Sunnyside Gang did to him. But yeah, like everyone else here, I thought he was going to be a villian, because of how he was presented in the trailer.

Anyway, I’m a fan of Chatterbox! Too bad we didn’t get to see more of him, it probably would of slowed down the story though.

I must confess, I was anticipating Chatter [spoil]to be a villain, quite the contrary really. Oh, how the trailer can just trick you into thinking stuff that isn’t true…[/spoil]

And, like many other peeps here, I’m now a fan of Chatter. :slight_smile:

I loved the Chatter Telephone - especially the use of the actual phone for his voice. Infact, loads of the toys ‘things’ were used in this film - Buzz’s glow, his demo mode, Potato Head’s removable features etc, much more than the original films did I think. I also felt really sorry for Chatter Phone when they ‘broke’ him - but at the same time that’s quite a clever double-meaning.[/spoiler]

Loved Chatter Telephone so much! Makes me want to go out and buy one…
One of my fav new characters for sure.

As many of you I too had misplaced prejudgments about the character, when the second trailer came out. However, I though even then he was such an awesome looking character and he’s now tied in Second Place (along with Woody and Slinky) for my top Toy Story 3 characters.

I think what I like best about him is that he has to communicate through his receiver, since his mouth is a sticker. It gives him a more Deep Throat aspect to the film.

Oh! and for all you DIY enthusiasts out there, just thought this was really cool:

blog.makezine.com/archive/2008/1 … phone.html