Something I don't get

If Buzz thought he was a real space ranger, then why does he go in toy mode when someones around?

That is very interesting. In the first Toy Story film, when Buzz still believes himself to be a space ranger, why does he go stone cold like a toy when people are near?

I’m guessing that it is somehow programmed inside him, seeing as he really is a toy. I think his true purpose subconsciously over rides any naive notions Buzz may have.

The way it’s refered to in context, he doesn’t have any control over it. Must be a toy instinct that whenever they’re in sight of a human, they freeze.

But how come the toys had control over it at the end of Toy Story, to scare Sid? And how come Woody didn’t freeze [spoil]when in sight of the janitor in Toy Story 3?[/spoil]

Yeah, I wondered that, too. :confused:
Maybe they need to have a strong urge or mission in mind to keep conscious and moving in the presence of a human…nah, that’s not it…Buzz did think he was on a mission already from the start, so scratch that.
Huh, I don’t really know.

The significant difference is that they’re fully aware that they’re toys, they also made the concious decision to do this, not like an accident or anything. Again, this is all probably part of the ‘rules’ that Woody mentioned.

[spoil]Did he really see him?[/spoil]

Maybe in his head, to freeze when he’s near a human is a Space Ranger directive, not that he’s aware of being a toy.

Remember that line from Utility Belt Buzz: “You’re in direct violation of Code 6404.5 stating all space rangers are to be in hyper-sleep until awakened by authorized personnel.”

That’s a reference to the toy tendency to remain still while in the box. Maybe there are other codes that order him to freeze around the “High Generals of Star Command”, or something like that, those being the humans.

Spirit of Adventure: That’s true! That’s a good point. So he and all the confused Buzzes thought it was part of their mission/directive.

That’s precisely what I think!

I always assumed it was a really clever psychological point. While he may think he’s a real Space Ranger deep down in the recesses of his mind he knows he’s a toy and its just a default reaction that he has no control over.

If that makes sense?

I think it makes perfect sense, you make a good point, but like Cal said, they had control over it at the end of TS, so I’m not sure…

Yes, but that was once he fully realized he was a toy. Just like Woody and Sid’s toys, once they came to that realization they can control it.

I say it’s a rule Pixar had to bend. They never actually show Buzz going from alive mode to toy mode when he thought he was a Space Ranger. So, we never lose the illusion of Buzz’s thoughts as a Ranger. When we get to the part where Woody is talking to Sid, the audience was too into the film to go back and think about why Buzz went into toy mode every time when he doesn’t know he is a toy.

This whole topic is kind of making my head hurt.

Pizza Planet, claw machine.

If Buzz had a rule to freeze in sight of a human, than why was he about to jump out a window to teach Sid a lesson, as if the rule didn’t apply

Sid didn’t even notice them from up there. I’m pretty sure it would be too far for him to even get a clear view of them anyways.

Now, I’m going to attempt to answer this once and for all. This is the official script ecxerpt

This basically proves that when any toy is in sight of a human, they have no choice but to freeze against their will; whether they know they’re a toy or not. This happens a lot during the rest of the movies, when the tanker almost runs over Woody, when Woody freezes at the yard sale, and [spoil]shortly after Woody falls from the tree in Toy Story 3[/spoil].

The only thing this conflicts with, however, is how Woody and Sid’s toys can come alive in front of Sid. It definately has something to do with the fact that they are aware that they are toys. It seems that that realization is what it takes to ignore that instinct to freeze. Then again, the ‘rules’ that Woody mentions when addressing the mutant toys is probably embedded in all toys’ minds.

I wouldnt take that one word from the script as evidence to your theory. even if its right, its not because of the word “forced”. forced can be taken in multiple ways. one could be that its physically impossible, or it could mean that its the best option.

Say your friends leave you at a restaurant, you could say you were forced to pay. but your not really, you could also leave without paying. sometimes forced is just a matter of doing what is socially acceptable or expected of you.

Ah, nice catch, but there’s still enough evidence from this happening in different occasions like I mentioned.

Besides, would the space ranger Buzz really be forced to freeze? His mindset would probably be to continue what he was doing before.

Forced or not, we don’t know the reason.

It’s it instinctive? I would say no, because they can overcome it, and even if it’s instinctive he would feel himself freezing and I’m sure he would notice something weird is happening to his body.

That makes me think that he is totally aware of his freezings. And if that’s right, I think the easiest way of explain it is my space ranger-training theory.