Slinky Dog Fans, Unite!

If your a huge lover & fan of Slinky Dog, please chat about how great he is and all here…

My kinda thread! To me, Slinky Dog is the heart of the Toy Story series. He is the most loyal member of Andy’s Room and (dare I say) Woody’s best friend. And I believe that he holds the record of having the biggest role in the climaxes of all three films. It’s hard for me to put into words how much I adore Slinky Dog, but he is my favorite Pixar character.

I agree. He’s kind and loyal, the way a good dog should be, and his slink turns out to be a big help (but also a drawback).

I have always loved Slinky! He is awesome! That’s why I believe that he deserves a better full scale toy, one that doesn’t have a string/gaping hole in his forehead. The best characters deserve the best.

I love that Slinky is willing to believe the best in people as we saw in the original Toy Story. It looked bad for Woody, but Slinky stood by him for as long as we could (I mean, I guess even I would give up though if I saw Woody waving Buzz’s arm around, so I can’t really blame Slinky). And then, of course, Slinky took Woody back and has remained loyal to him ever since. That’s why Slinky is great!

Well slinky the dog is ok,My sister likes him a lot,She really loves pixar dogs :slight_smile:

Alright, Lotso fans! It’s so good to know that…

Oh wait, this is the Slinky thread. My bad. :blush:

But yes, he’s my favourite side character after Rex. He’s probably Woody’s bestie before Buzz, and is a loyal toy to count on whenever you need a hand (or paw).

There’s something very comforting about Slink. I also love his silly little sayings and his persona generally is very calming. He’s not incredibly intelligent, but that’s very endearing and along with the extreme loyalty that everyone else has mentioned, he ends up being a very important character in the Toy Story series.

I like Slinky a lot, He’s one of my favorite Toy Story characters. But of course, if there’s a dog in a Pixar movie, I love it right away. :stuck_out_tongue:

How can you not love Slinky?

Slinky rules!! I love his loyalty and calm, southern drawl. :wink:

He is one of my favorite characters!! A man’s best friend is evident in the toy kinds of dogs too :slight_smile:

I do love his voice a lot!

I think we all want/need/or have friends like Slinky!

Hey! He may not be a smart dog, but he knows what roadkill is!

I love Slinky, but then again I love all the characters so much. His southern, scratchy voice is awesome, and both Blake Clark and Jim Varney do fantastic jobs. His loyalty and dedication to Woody and his friends is so moving. And his slinky rings are probably about the most handy feature any of Andy’s toys have - other then Buzz’s superhero-ness. As Woody’s best friend, and being so positive and jolly, he’s definetly a toy to love.

And yeah, he always does have a huge role in the finales. He tried to pull Woody, Buzz and RC back to the moving van, he operated the brakes in the Pizza Planet truck, and he gave the idea for the toys to escape their first peril in the dump. And he lets them hop Andy’s roof at least twice! Though how the heck does he jump up there the second time, in the third film?

And it really moved me in the finale of 3, when he [spoil]was the first of the toys to join hands with the others besides Buzz and Jessie. Then he took hold of Woody, and you could see how terrified he was. And then, when Woody was saying goodbye to them at Andy’s house, it was so bittersweet to see Slinky’s face so loving and sweet, saying goodbye to his best friend.[/spoil] I just love Slinky and by extension all these characters that much.

Slinky is awesome, and so loving. And I LOVE his catchphrase, “golly bob howdy!” Such a shame he only said it once in Toy Story 3!

Oh come on people, how can you say Slinky is not that smart… imo, he IS smart & I don’t think he deserves to be put down like that.

When does he say that??

PixarMistress- I’m not saying he’s stupid- rather, that he sees things simply, in black and white. It’s because of that that he’s such a loyal character; whilst the others are questioning and being suspicious of Woody (for example) Slinky simply sees the toy who’s always been his friend and ally and doesn’t understand why everyone else is going against him. Sometimes a more straightforward and direct way of thinking can be an advantage, and Slinky’s a very good example of that. Mater is similar in that sense; sometimes you’ve got to get down to basics to understand things like true loyalty and friendship.

And does anyone know the origins of his catchphrase, ‘golly bob howdy’? I love the way he says it, but aside from it being a sort of exclamation I’m never sure exactly what it means.

Some how I’ve always thought that that specific phrase came from one of Jim Varney’s Ernest quotes. It seems very evocative of his improv style.

I love Slinky Dog just because he’s such an optimistic and laid back character. I don’t really see him as a direct thinker, as moreover a character who simply enjoys following orders. He’s a very endearing in his own right and one of my favorite quotas is when he’s saying to Mr Potato Head “If Woody says it’s alright, then darn it if it’s good enough for me!”

Plus, what other dog has a Forcefield built inside them?

^^^^

This

Even though Slinky Dog is one of my favorite characters by far, this is something that’s always bugged me from the first Toy Story. Why did they even have Slinky, the undying and loyally faithful one, being cruelly stretched to the point of breaking his spring just for trying to help? What message is that for PIXAR to be sending us for trying to help others- don’t do it because you will fail and end up hurting yourself? Why couldn’t they just have him succeed? Having him fail wasn’t heroic, and it accomplished nothing to move the plot, apart from perhaps adding suspense to the rocket scene. Why was it here? What purpose did watching him get mutilated serve to move the story forward? Honestly, they could have done without it and the scene would still be the same.

Either that or it would have made more sense if someone like Mr. Potato Head ended up getting hurt instead of Slinky. Slinky was loyal until the end and he ended up becoming broken, while Mr. Potato Head’s actions bordered on being evil and got away scott free.

Hey, at least Mr. Potato Head got RC craching into him with like 100 miles per hour

Mr. Potato Head wasn’t evil, he just let his jealously of Woody cloud his judgement. Plus, he didn’t know Woody was trying to save Buzz. In the end he assisted Slinky in helping Buzz and Woody back. He was horrified by the mistake he made

Plus, having slinky fail isn’t not-heroic, it shows that he tried and it adds to character. He’s a hero for trying.