Five questions regarding Sunnyside in general - SPOILERS!

Hey, folks. I’ve got a few questions about Sunnyside regarding Lotso, Big Baby, Buzz, Sarge, and the whole caterpillar room situation. And I’ve also got another question for you when you saw the movie.

Some of these questions may be “Duh, yeah!” So I apologize in advance. They could also generate some good discussion, the better ones.

1. Lotso [spoil]has Buzz switched back to Space Ranger mode, and then minutes later takes Buzz to go imprison Andy’s toys. When Buzz was a Space Ranger in Toy Story, it took about a week (from Andy’s party to a night or two before the move) to fully accept his new surroundings. Lotso must be pretty darn good if he was able to coax Buzz to join them within minutes.[/spoil]
  2. Lotso [spoil]only wanted Buzz in because he was strong and smart enough to escape his confinement. What could Stretch, Sparks, Twitch, and Chunk have done to gain Lotso’s trust and respect? And particularly, what could Ken have done to get into Lotso’s group and be his second in command (with Big Baby as his muscle)?[/spoil]
  3. Lotso says they make [spoil]the new toys take the abuse from the Caterpillar room since they are the stronger ones… meaning he doesn’t want that abuse himself. [/spoil] As we see, dozens of toys greet Andy’s toys warmly. [spoil]In the end, if Andy’s toys had indeed stayed and been destroyed, or were succesfully sent to the dump and killed, those generic toys would’ve been on the chopping block. This is more along the second question - what did all those generic toys, who seemingly had no use to Lotso, do to deserve his “mercy”?[/spoil]
  4. At the end of the movie, [spoil]Sarge and the troops move into Sunnyside, presumably recognizing Barbie from Molly’s toys. With Ken and Barbie being regular correspondents to Andy’s toys at Bonnie’s, would Sarge and his two men decide to head over to join them? While Bonnie probably wouldn’t like army toys like Sarge, they could live out their lives there undercover; probably like they did after the point when Andy threw out or sold the bucket of troops.[/spoil]
  5. As said, Big Baby [spoil]was Lotso’s enforcer, and trusted Lotso since he helped find a new home for them. Did Big Baby really believe Lotso’s new demeanor and beliefs, that Daisy never loved them? If he did, then he obviously realized the truth when Woody held out Daisy’s locket. And did Big Baby ever object to Lotso’s regime on Sunnyside, as cruel as Lotso was? If he ever did, why did he do such atrocities to the toys at Sunnyside, like the little bunny or the penguin?[/spoil]
    [/spoil]

EDIT- Just changed the title so those looking into this thread realise that here be spoilers.

-lizardgirl

I think this whole thread is going to be 100% spoilers, might as well put it in the thread title and leave it at that to make things easy on everyone while still being cautious? There seems to be an up in the air debate about how necessary spoilers are right now and I understand the neg side but I also want to be courteous. If this post needs spoiler tags someone holla at me and I’ll fix it up.

BACK ON TOPIC

1. If there’s something we’ve learned about Buzz, especially the Buzz toys that are not aware they’re toys, he’s extremely gullible.

2. Honestly if I were to sit and analyze this I could come up with a couple of theories. I think what I will settle with for the moment, and this is just my opinion, they probably didn’t do anything but accept him as a leader and figured they were better off following under him and going with the system Lotso was installing at the daycare. We don’t really know who was there before or after Lotso arrived so that would probably play a factor in my theories too, but yeah. Going with the whole submitted and followed thing for now.

3. Probably nothing. Putting Andy’s toys in the Caterpillar room had nothing to do with the reason Lotso gave. That was his excuse. He definitely set them up. So if toys were no longer (destroyed or what-have-you) and Lotso was still in command no one would be on the chopping block, because the Caterpillar room was fine before the Toys came. It’s not like they were switched out and now that they’re gone other toys need to take their place. I hope that answered your question, sorry if I misunderstood.

4. I don’t think they would. They accepted the concept of change and moving on in the beginning of the movie, so I would think settling in a new place is fine with them and they wouldn’t make the effort of finding Bonnie’s home. I’m sure they’d be happy at Sunnyside. And of course they can always write to the Toys if they want like Ken did.

5. Big Baby was definitely metaphorically brainwashed by Lotso.

1. Yeah, as stated by gazelle, Buzz is extremely gullible while not realizing he’s a toy (eg. “Buzz look an alien!”). Lotso or one of the gang members probably noticed that, and they came up with the idea to tell him that Andy’s other toys were minions of Zurg. Buzz didn’t really feel the need to be curious about his surroundings at that point, but just to take out Andy’s other toys. This isn’t just fanfiction, he actually mentions them being minions of Zurg at some point. However, Buzz was probably wondering where his spaceship was :laughing:

2. No idea. I guess one theory could be that Ken was there before Lotso, and before Lotso had developed the messed-up system.

3. Absolutely nothing - thats how messed-up Lotso and the Sunnyside system are.

4. I agree with gazelle, they accepted moving on and were probably happy where they were.

5. Judging by how Lotso had been treating Big Baby before, lying and getting angered when even questioned, Big Baby probably had to just keep quiet and accept Lotso’s orders or he could get the same treatment as other toys whom where trying to escape. (Assuming that’s before Big Baby realized he could completely pwn Lotso :sunglasses: )

Buzz is gullible, but the thing is, he saw everyone as an enemy in Toy Story it seemed like, but only became calm when he saw the badge. The question is, what kind of proof would Lotso have that would seem like star command? Why wouldn’t he just pull the “Halt, who goes there?!” thing to all of them and think THEY’RE agents of Zurg?

We’ve seen that Lotso is very charismatic, putting on facades of kindness, warmness; it’s conceivable that Lotso was charismatic enough to trick Buzz into believing that he and his group were Star Command members. Perhaps Ken’s Mr Spaceman astronaut suit had something to do with it, just as Woody’s Sheriff badge calmed Buzz down in 1. -Omar

I know that they tricked Buzz with all the info that would be in his manual. They could probably make him believe anything knowing enough information about him.

In a deleted scene for the first Toy Story, it didn’t take much for Woody to convince Buzz he was on a mission from Star Command. Come to think of it, the fact that he was so willing to help that “lost toy” is also shows that. One Buzz comes out of hypersleep, he’s just completely clueless to his surroundings.