Senorita Cactus

I just read that while developing TS2, Jessie was originally going to be an anthopomorphic cactus named Senorita Cactus. Obivously, they decided to make the character a cowgirl, but part of me sort of wishes that they had gone with the cactus. I do love Jessie as she is, but the cactus would have definitely been something different and fun. What do you all think?

I think I would have a hard time taking a cactus seriously during Jessie’s song is what I think.

Well, at the same time, she would’ve still been a villian with the Prospector. So in that case, I guess the cactus thing would be more believable for a villian. I probably wouldn’t feel the same way about it, like if Bullseye could talk. It just wouldn’t be the same.

I never liked the Cactus Jessie design. I’ve always adored Jessie, and I wouldn’t feel that way about a talking cactus. Not human or releatable enough. Besides, why would Emily’s favorite toy be a cactus? I don’t see that. XD

For obvious reasons, I am glad they did not go with the Cactus

I’m not a fan of the design for Senorita Cactus. It works for a femme fatale/villainess, but I don’t think it works for a hero.

I also think the talking cactus design is at odds with the rest of the Woody’s Roundup design. Woody and Stinky Pete are both “human”. And Bullseye is a “horse”. How does a giant, talking, female cactus get added to the mix? It doesn’t seem to fit the in-show universe of Woody’s Roundup at all.

And from memory, the character of Jessie was intended (at least in part) to appeal to little girls. I’m not sure little girls (or grown men either) would have found a talking cactus character that appealing.

I’m glad we got Jessie just the way she was/is.

Hmm, Jessie dressed as Senorita Cactus… fan art idea… :smiling_imp:

I just have to wonder how that will look… :laughing:

Toy Story 2 would have allot less fans if Jessie was like that

I agree. Especially with little girls. I know they had Bo, but Jessie was the only prominent female in the series. That’s not a complaint, I just think it would be really weird if she was a cactus.

Had it not been for Nancy Lasseter, we would not have Jessie.

excuse me then while I go give Nancy Lasseter a big hug 8D

Really? John’s wife? I now owe her my soul. :open_mouth: Sorry, Jesus. (/kidding; Jesus don’t be mad)

Yup, she suggested a strong, female lead that girls can look up to. As opposed to an evil, talking cactus.

And Bo Peep was not exactly a good role model, if you know what I mean… :open_mouth:

No, I don’t think I do; care to elaborate?

Well, it’s not like Bo is a bad role model…

Well let’s look at a few of her lines:

Bo Peep: “What would you say if I get someone else to watch the sheep for me tonight?” and what do you think she means she’s “only a couple blocks away”?

But just a little bit later after Buzz falls with style…
“I’ve found my moving buddy!”

Doesn’t show loyalty. I know over anylizing it, but still Jessie is a better role model.

I actually added a page recently for Señorita Cactus on the Pixar Wiki: [url]http://pixar.wikia.com/Señorita_Cactus[/url]

It was something I wanted to do because nobody had done it yet. Reading the original script for Toy Story 2 helped a lot also. I’m glad they went with Jessie. She’s a much better character, and we wouldn’t have had the Buzz+Jessie pairing if she didn’t exist.

That’s exactly what I mean, Atakullakulla. Personally, I thought she was very loose and wanted Buzz just as much as Woody. And I don’t care for damzels in distress. Now, Jessie is perfect. As a girl, not a cactus. XD I love Jessie.