Is Al a villain?

It’s funny that I spend so much time focusing on TS2, since I consider it to be the weakest of the trilogy. But I got to thinking about Al McWhiggin, and I wanted to see how many of you consider him to be a secondary villain (there’s no debating that Stinky Pete is the main baddie).

Well I think to the toy’s point-of-view he would be one since he was Woody’s “kidnapper”, but in reality he’s just a really greedy toy collector who would go to such measures to complete his collection. I always liked the way that past Pixar films could have characters be an antagonist without really being one (they just look like it to other characters from their perspective, but at the same time we relate to Al as someone who could actually be running a toy store unaware that toys are alive). It was the same way with Sid in the first movie.

And even though we don’t need to bring up Zurg for this, we all know that he wasn’t a real villain either and just a toy that thinks that he is.

Personally, I say yes. I think stealing a little boy’s doll knowingly is terrible. But maybe I’m just crazy. 8D

He’s not a villain in the sense that he’s evil, but he definitely did the morally wrong thing by stealing Woody. He was way too greedy. And he got what he deserved.

Yeah, Al was very dedicated to his Roundup Gang collection, but stealing was what put him over the line. Not really a villain, though.

More like he was dedicated to the money he could get from it :stuck_out_tongue:

True, but there’s no doubt that he was a fan of the show.

I always found it weird how quick he was to sell the set. He WAS a fan of the show as a kid, which drives his collecting habits; there was a Toy Story encyclopedia out a while ago that went into detail with it. He gave up playing with toys as a kid, and switched to collecting to ensure an investment.

His greed shows through, because despite how dedicated he was to finishing his life-long collection, he was quick to sell it for the right price.

Maybe he was living outside his means, and really did need the money.

Nah i don’t think he was a villian he was just a guy who like most people wanted to make money out of selling old toys (i would have one the same) :wink:

True. You fall to pretty desperate measures when you make a living in a chicken suit :laughing:

Al looked more despicable than evil to me. He is a villain from toys’ point of view, but in fact he is a greedy man who isn’t above playing dirty when it comes to Roundup Gang collection. Although stealing something sure doesn’t make you good.

I wouldn’t say he’s villainous. Just, morally challenged. He’s did steal Woody afterall! He’s over 40, he should know better! :slight_smile:

Maybe to the characters he was a villain. But to me he was merely a guy who wanted something and was willing to go lengths to get it, no malice or anything. Stinky Pete was easily the main villain.

He’s not really evil just greedy, kinda like Mr. Krabs.

He’s not a villain, in any way. What he did was morally wrong, but that’s not enough.

But he’s definitely one of the main antagonists (the main, until the very end), as he opposes to the heroes’ goals.

Of course we know even a good person can be an antagonist in a film.

Pixarfan: Haha, yes. He does remind me of Mr. Krabs a little.

Yeah, Mr. Krabs is not “evil”, it’s just his greed get’s the better of him.

Think also in P.T. Flea. He’s not evil, but greedy, and that makes him an antagonist.

Al a villian? No way, Jose. He’s just a dirty, greedy man who falls asleep in front of the TV with a bowl of cheese puffs. He is also lazy, complaining about having to drive all the way to work on a Saturday, when his job is right across the street from his apartment. He also cheats to get his way. But in no sense or form can he called a villian. Dislikable, yes, but not worthy of that aspect.

And guys, you are forgetting that greed does not necessarily make someone a villian. Al does not qualify. His greed does not make him do evil things, at least not more evil than lying and stealing, the former of which most people do often and the latter which we only witness him doing once, and have no proof of him ever having done before except that Jessie was in a donation box, but if the box is on the side of the road…ANYONE would take it.

And if you’ve ever watched Jackie Chan Adventures, the character Valmont disappears for several seasons. Then in the fourth season he returns, but all he is is greedy. However, he’s so pathetic that there is no way anyone can call him a villian anymore. Same with Al. His greed is not a villian’s greed. I do not this Mr. Krabs, but I’m sure his greed is a villian’s greed.