Toy Story and Star Wars

As many of you know, Toy Story has made many nods to the legendary Star Wars series, especially since it’s so relatable to our sci-fi super hero, Buzz Lightyear. Here are the ones that I noticed. Feel free to add.

Toy Story:
-Buzz briefly mentions something about a “navicomputer” in a similar fashion to Han Solo in Star Wars.
-Buzz mentions Zurg’s secret weapon with the capacity to destroy an entire plant, matching the description of the Death Star from the first Star Wars.
-A blaster sound effect is used for Buzz’s laser in the Buzz Lightyear commercial
Toy Story 2:
-When Buzz suspects the walls of the air duct are closing in, his first instints are to prop it up. This directly mirrors the garbage compactor scene in the original Star Wars.
-The most obvious one is when Zurg dramatically reveals he is Buzz’s father as Darth Vader did to Luke in The Empire Strikes Back
Toy Story 3:
-Big Baby dispatches of his old master, Lotso, in the same fashion Vader did to the Emperor in Return of the Jedi.

In the opening from Toy story 2 they also use original sound effects from Star Wars, including Vader’s respiration (Buzz’s respiration) and a lightsaber (Zurg’s battery)

Wow, completely forgot about that one! Thanks.

How about “I’ve set my laser from stun to kill”?

I could see the connection.

Star Wars has had such an impact on our modern culture. Thanks for compiling this list!

A couple more:

-Sid interrogates Woody and says “Ah! A survivor! Where’s the rebel base!? Talk!!! Where are your rebel friends now? Hahahaha!”

-When Rex and Trixie play a video game at the end of TS3, a Star Wars sound effect is heard.

^ Those are ones I had forgotten about, Spirit. My favorite TS+SW connection was in TS2 when Zurg says “I am your father”, even if he didn’t say it in complete Vader-style.

I can’t take credit for this one- read it over on IMDB’s TS3 trivia page- but Big Baby throwing Lotso into the trash can could be a Return of the Jedi reference.

Yes, that one is a reference, but I didn’t mention it since the OP did in the first post.

Oh, right, that he did. My apologies, it was late when I wrote that and I guess my eyes just slipped right over that part of the original post.

Don’t worry that happens.

Don’t get more guilt now :stuck_out_tongue:

Am I the only one here who has never seen the original three Star Wars movies?

Do yourself a favor and rent those bad boys!

Actually I got a friend who’s never seen them and now she wont see them on principle. She wants to be one of the few who can say “I’ve never seen the Star Wars movies” Actually I dont think she’s seen the Toy Story movies for the same reason…

Well, I don’t like the principle 8D

It’s not good to be a contrarian just for the heck of it… just look at Armond White. You’ll miss out on a lot of good things with that principle, and for what? Bragging rights?

Yeah I dont think she should hold out on seeing them either but to each his own. :slight_smile:

I guess it’s good for her if she can hold to her principles, but I don’t agree with them. To me, if a movie sounds good for my taste I’m going to watch it no matter what. Luckily I got into Toy Story when I was a little kid, and I was already a racing fan by the time the first Cars movie came out. As far as Star Wars goes, I got into that about the same time as Toy Story (as a little kid I mostly liked the scenes where Luke would battle Vader with his lightsaber).