Molly and Jessie

In TS2, Woody’s selling point to Jessie to get her to come home with him is that Andy has a sister that will play with her. Yet at the end of the film Andy is seen playing with Jessie and of course all through TS3 she is established as Andy’s toy. So, one of two things could be true: 1) She could have been Molly’s toy even though Molly was never seen playing with her, or 2) Woody lied to Jessie, knowing that Andy would be playing with her and not Molly. What do you guys think?

I think Andy probably considered Jessie and Bullseye to be “his” toys since they were a (perceived) gift from his mum. But, I also think that Andy would have let Molly play with his toys, including Jessie.

Whether or not Molly would have been interested in playing with Jessie, other than when Molly and Andy were playing with their toys together, is questionable since Molly didn’t appear to have many toys at all and was probably part of the generation of “tweens” who quickly outgrew toys in favour of video games, mobile phones, etc.

While Woody has his character faults, I don’t think he lied to Jessie.

^Agreed.

I think the thought process was that in the instance that Andy might not want a girl toy, a little sister would definately fit the bill. But it obviously didn’t come to that, as Andy loved all the new toys.

I’ve always just assumed that Jessie was originally Molly’s toy, but Molly lost interest in her after awhile and Andy liked to play with her, so he claimed her as his toy. I have three brothers and a sister, and that sort of thing has happened to us several times.

Only the toys got back from the airport just a little bit before Andy got home and as soom as he did, he started playing with them right away. Plus, it was fairly late at night and Molly (still a toddler at this point) was probably asleep already.

Just because Andy played with them first doesn’t mean that Jessie didn’t belong to Molly. I’m just saying.

Then why wasn’t Jessie in Molly’s room in TS3 when she was giving things away to Sunnyside?

I said it before: Molly could have quickly lost interest in Jessie and then could have claimed her as his. This is just what I always thought; I’m not saying that she couldn’t have belonged to Andy from the beginning.

This is a good Topic! I have always thought she is Mollys But just Like Bo Peep (which was Mollys Lamp) Andy just played with her too! And I agree I think Molly grew up with the whole im to “cool” for toys kinda thing quickly growing out of toys way before Andy did. Jessie Might have stayed in Andys room since maybe he also knew they were part of Woodys gang.

The way Woody worded it made me think that the original intention was to get her with Andy but Molly could be a back up if that didn’t work out

As Agent 86 said, maybe Andy perceived that Jessie and Bullseye were his toys as a gift from his mom? And like some have said above, I don’t think Andy would strongly oppose Molly playing with Jessie, though it is probable that she didn’t want to play with toys as soon as she was old to appreciate Jessie and Bullseye.
I just remembered when reading this thread: in Toy Story 1, in the last scene when Andy, Molly, and their mom are opening gifts at Christmas, isn’t Mrs. Potato Head given to Molly, but we see in future movies that Mrs. Potato Head is always in Andy’s room with Mr. Potato Head (which is sensible in Toy Story 2, because Molly was still under 3 and couldn’t play with the Potato Head toys.)? Maybe something similar happened with Jessie.

hes a liar

Bo Peep was Molly’s toy, and Andy always played with her as Woody’s “damsel in distress”. My guess is that at some point, Andy and Molly played together, before Andy started growing up. Maybe around that time, Molly played with Jessie for a while, before she slowly lost interest. And in “TS3”, Molly was shown to have thrown out a lot of her toys before she started reading a fashion magazine. Like all tweens and teens, she might have had a teddy bear or something that she slept with, but PLAYING with the toys probably wore out over the years.

I’m surprised nobody’s mentioned the fact yet that Andy wrote his name on both Jessie and Bullseye. That’s a pretty good argument right there for Molly being their owner.

I think that Jessie was Andy’s toy all along. He believed she came with all the other toys, they were set up together. And then in Toy Story 3 we see that she is in the toy chest with Andy’s toys. Barbie, Molly’s toy, was in Molly’s room.

I think they just kinda said “Oh Molly has a sister” but she stayed with Andy the whole time.

Yea, I think Woody was just trying to convince Jessie to come with him since Jessie used to belong to a girl. Buy near the end of TS2, all the toys are grouped together right when Andy gets home from camp, so Jessie and could have never belonged to Molly.