Monsters University Box Office Results

Only two weeks late! :smiley:

Anyway, here are MU’s BO results for its time in theaters.

June 20-23: $82,429,469 (#1)
June 24-27: $42,395,979 (#1)
June 28-30: $45,607,745 (#1)
July 1-4: $71,712,184 (#1)
July 5-7: $19,590,000 (#4)
July 8-11: $10,885,448 (#4)
July 12-14: $10,621,000 (#6)
July 15-18: $6,221,251 (#6)
July 19-21: $5,121,878 (#10)

It will be updated every Friday and Monday for weekly and weekend grosses.

Wowow, doin’ great!

Excellent. :sunglasses:

Results for the week are in! Monsters U. is number one yet again! WOO!

why don’t you post the total?

I did, Locall. Look at the first post in the thread, it’s up there.

Well the US total for Monsters University atm is $216,127,000, I dont see that number anywhere in your first post… but I could be blind.

Also the 71million figure is the total of June28 - July4 and not from July1 - July4 :wink:

Looking good. So, do we think Despicable Me 2 will be able to knock it out of the #1 spot?

According to Comingsoon.net, Despicable Me 2 did snatch the number 1 spot and now Monsters University is in fourth place, also below the Lone Ranger and The Heat.

But it’s fairly impressive it had one night of first-place glory with the release of the Lone Ranger and Despicable Me release.

Cool! I hope the Lone Ranger doesn’t tank like some are saying.

So, Despicable Me 2 dominates (predictably), The Lone Ranger fails (predictably), and Monsters U. falls to fourth (somewhat predictably.)

Thanks for keeping up these tallies! How does it compare to other Pixar films?

Yeah, for their own sake I hope not. I hear it was crazy expensive. I’ll be seeing it with my dad and sister.

The first two days for MU in Japan, opening July 6th, are impressive. Out of all the Pixar films shown in Japan, MU got the third highest sales right behind Finding Nemo and the top TS3. TS3 took 52 days to break the $100,000,000.00 mark. Finding took 53 days. MU should make that amount too, but not as fast.
[url]http://www.excite.co.jp/News/cinema/20130708/Narinari_20130708_22207.html[/url]

Monsters U. is officially the ninth highest domestic grossing Pixar film ahead of ABL, Cars 2, TS1, Ratatouille, and WALL-E! It should, at least by the end of its run, be number 4 or 5, depending if it can make enough to outdo The Incredibles.

It’s another obvious win for Pixar!

I made a prediction of how this film might look by the end. Considering it has a similar tug to audiences as Toy Story 3, although arguably a bit less of a deal than that film, I played with some numbers. Monsters, Inc. is also a beloved franchise and made a lot of money. Plus, worldwide, all of the Pixar sequels have made fairly more than their predecessors. I added the worldwide grosses of Monsters, Inc. and Toy Story 3 together and then divided by two (I got the average). It came out to:

$812,994,083… and 50 cents ← :unamused: .

That is quite a lot, I’m not totally sure if it can quite reach those numbers. It would beat all of the films but Toy Story 3 and Finding Nemo if so. Still, it’s been out for less than a month and is already about halfway there. Audiences love it and I wouldn’t be surprised if it did reach similar numbers.

Also, I took the average of MI’s and TS3’s domestic grosses for comparison: $352,460,568.

And here is the average of the foreign grosses of MI and TS3: $460,533,515 + 50 cents :stuck_out_tongue: !

I’m really curious now to see how the actual results stack up.

Also, I saw The Lone Ranger. And I didn’t think it was bad…from what I remember, it seemed fine, I only went because a friend asked me, but it wasn’t horrible or anything to me. Was it good? I guess that depend on you. I guess I’d call it fine, but then again I kind of forgot how the story went. Promotion might be one reason for any money losses.

But I preferred MU and DM2.

So the weekend results are in! Monsters U. falls to #6, but passes Brave on the all time Pixar list. Despicable Me 2 won again, making four weeks in a row animation has been #1. Turbo could very well make it five this weekend. In sad news, Grown Ups 2 outgrossed Pacific Rim, which proves the movie going public are suckers for deer pee.

$474,160,000: Monsters University
$472,437,000: Despicable Me 2

Worldwide, Monsters University and Despicable Me 2 are practically equally rich right now. I hope one doesn’t outgross the other by a lot, I hope they both make healthy sums of money. I have a feeling families will be going back and forth between the two movies for the next couple of months.

In Japan, MU is again #1 at the box office after the second weekend. The buzz here now in Japan is that MU is being compared to TS3 in terms of box office attendance. Why is MU being compared to TS3? TS3 is still the #1 Foreign Animated film in box office sales in Japan. How is MU being compared to TS3? On TS3 and MU first summer weekends, TS3 had 649,299 in movie attendance, while MU had 614,968. TS3 beats MU by 34,331 in week one. But, after the second weekend TS3 was 81% down in movie attendance, while MU down only 87%. So, in volume of movie attendance, that’s 525,932 for TS3 and *534,700 for MU for their second weekend comparison only, not total. MU beats TS3 by 8, 768 movie attendance in week two. Huh? So, everyone in the movie industry in Japan is talking about how can this happen.

The next TS3 and MU comparison is if MU ties or beats TS3 to the five billion yen ticket sales mark. TS3 took 22 days. If MU ties TS3 after 22 days in Japan, you could say Monsters University would have a chance to upset TS3. It’s a long shot I know.

*[url]404 NOT FOUND - MANTANWEB(まんたんウェブ)

MU passed the four billion yen mark after 22 days, Friday, July 26th, here in Japan. MU will probably be the third highest grossing Pixar film, or a close second, behind the number one TS3 and number two FN. But it aint over until it’s over because this article, in Japanese, says there have been many repeat customers. These repeat viewers are looking for “A113” and the PPT. Bunch of crazies, including me. I’ve watched MU three times.

[url]http://www.asahi.com/and_M/interest/entertainment/AUT201307270021.html[/url]