Character Discussion: The Oozma Kappa Fraternity Members

I thought these characters were great! I thought we could talk about them here. I was going to try and just pick one and give him his own thread, but that was going to be too hard since they’re all really cool monsters, so I just included them all here!

So, what do you like about them? Do you have a favorite? What are your favorite scenes of them? And really just anything else related to these characters! Here they are in case you were wondering:

Don Carlton
Scott “Squishy” Squibbles
Terry Perry
Terri Perry
Art
Sherri Squibbles (I’m including her here, too!)

Watching the movie, I did feel there was opportunity to explore these guys a little more, as we never quite know their backstories or the reasons for their dreams, so I’m waiting for Blu-Ray on more insight and writing a fanfiction on the origin of O.K. The antagonists of the film treat them as pathetic as expected in an underdog film, but once it gets to O.K., there’s so much emphasis on their likability. They start out inexperienced and unchallenged, but they are eager to learn, love their new teammates unconditionally, and by the end, they do learn to bring out the best in them.

They seem to be the frat that has a simple gimmick like ROR, which is elitism, or EHH, which is goth. O.K.'s gimmick seems to be about averageness or simplicity, but by the end, O.K. succeeds precisely because of their diversity.

Don Carlton- I have to wonder, do we usually see the mature-student trope in films these days? Guy who returns to college to study his old dreams? I am surrounded by mature students in my English program. His backstory is something curious to me personally because he is the founder of O.K. and a man who probably underwent personal struggles through all the many decades he lived.

Squishy Squibbles- this guy is ME. I was so quiet, and I knew people who were like this as well, that someones I unintentionally sneak up on people and freak them out. Honestly, this guy is my personal favorite, owing it to Peter Sohn’s performance.

Art- This guy is my best friend, who saw the movie with me. Oddball, delightfully weird, and yes, recorded her dream. I could joke about various things about his past all I want to.

Sherri Squibbles- um, browsing the Internet, is it Sherri with an “i,” or Sherry with a “y”? Cause I am reading different accounts on her name spelling. I wonder what’s her backstory as a single mom? What’s her career? Is she divorced and on alimony? Or was her son a product of her past relationships? And how did she come to agree on letting Carlton settle OK in her own house?

I also have curiosity on their future when the Monsters Industry turns to Laughter as an energy source.

I think my favorite character(s) is Terri and Terry Perry. ( Are they considered two separate characters? :confused: ) They argue just like my sister and I. :laughing: But whenever I would hear Terry’s voice, I would be all like “OH MA GOSH, IT’S FLIIIK!”

The OK guys are seriously some of my fave characters of all time, and obviously my fave new characters in MU. I love what a diverse group they are and how they work together so well. They make me laugh so so so much and I love the emotional element they add to the film. It would definitely be cool to learn more about their backstories, but I love them either way :slight_smile: And plus, their voices! Having two Pixar veterans in Squishy and Terry just add to the great lineup of voices they have! Sorry, I’m just spazzing away over OK… X3

I think Art is my favorite because he was just so off the wall and seemed to have such a ‘colorful’ background. Although Terri And Terry I like a lot too, because I just thought they were funny and I liked how they realized being two-headed wasnt a disadvantage.

I liked Squishy, too.

This is just a curious question I asked many times, but how do you guys imagine the Oozma Kappa fraternity formed? I wonder, were they all friends before and formed it themselves? Or did the founder (likely Don) manage to recruit them and then they became friends?

I hope the Blu-ray/dvd answers this question

I figured that Ms. Squibbles set it up without telling him because she wanted Squishy to make some friends (“Aw, Mom, this is worse than the time you set up ‘shindigs’ for me to host in High School!” 8D ). However, it all turned out since he did make awesome friends, but I bet that length of time waiting for someone to join must’ve been super embarassing. Can you imagine seeing him alone with the “Pledge OK” cake and balloons? That’s just sad…

With the Monsters University dvd out, I’m curious if Scanlon let slip some history of the Oozma Kappa fraternity on his commentary. Because when I look up the special features list, doesn’t seem it mentioned anything of mentioning O.K.'s history.

I read somewhere that more shorts, aside from “Party Central,” might feature the O.K. brothers. I have to wonder if they are saving the idea for that special one day.

Oh my. Well, you can tell by my banner and avvie that I adore Oozma Kappa. Precious babies.

When my bestie and I saw this film together, we were enjoying it. But it went to another level once Oozma Kappa took center stage!

Terri and Terry are my favorites, obviously. I like all of them really. And Art is fantastic. My friend and I were on the verge of crying whenever he said something.

Oh, and I have an Oozma Kappa shirt. XD

I have to wonder about their fate post-MI events. Especially their comedic abilities in the energy switch to Laughter.

And I can picture Mike and Sully, after a day of scream canister wranggling, visiting the Oozma Kappa’s graduation day.

I saw a really cute piece of fan art on tumblr, of Terri and Terry doing card tricks after the switch to laughter. Misdirection!

I always did have this headcanon that Terry and Terri took up close-up magic to adjust to working in sync and practicing coordination.

I wonder how Squishy and Don would adjust to the Laughter switch. I can see Don doing some tricks on the ceiling. And I can see Squishy just being… I don’t, cute?

I’m not worried about Art. I imagine that he was one of the lesser ranked Scarers at M.I. and become one of the top comedians.

I feel sad that there’s not much fanfiction devoted to these guys.

^Perhaps Squishy would start dance parties in kids’ rooms :slight_smile: Don would probably do prop comedy getting stuck to stuff… 8D

Leave it to the ol’ master of sales to figure something out!

Yes, I could see Squishy doing that!

EJE: This calls for a Squishy Dance Party!!

Sorry… couldn’t resist. Back to the discussion…

^That scene, and gif, are amazing!

Anyone learned anything new about the Oozma Kappa members in the Blu-ray features?

I still haven’t checked out the bonus features yet. D:

Watching the special features, there’s absolutely nothing on the OK History. It does speak of some interesting experiments.

• Don was originally supposed to breathe fire and had a difficult time keeping it under control due to heartburn. So he would take pills to “keep the monster within,” according to Scanlon. I can see why as early sketches of Don seem to indicate he had dragon heritage.
  • If you saw the deleted scenes, Terri was the sort of fella who liked experimenting with personas
  • From the earliest stages, Terri and Terry existed as a one-joke character about “those two guys who count as one body”
    -Not surprisingly “the I can’t go back to jail” was declared the defining line for the concept of Art

Yeah, I hope if these Oozmas get a few shorts someday, it would be about the OK origin story.

My personal headcanon is that Don tried to start a fraternity for mature students. That failed, and when he encountered Scott, he encouraged Scott to start his own frat and gave Scott the name. And unexpectedly, he got recruited by Scott.