MI2 leaked?

pixarblog.blogspot.com/2009/01/m … -2013.html

Just had a slight panic attack there. Seriously.

You know, I’m not even going to think about it. I’m not going to get my hopes up.

Thanks for the link, Bryko614.

You know, if this gets confirmed, I might faint in extreme happiness…
“Monsters, Inc. 2: We’re after your laughter”.

Wow. Just wow. I guess you aren’t as anonymous as you think you are on the Internet. This is really neat to find out the sequel information this way. I wonder why a Pixarian would need to look up to see if there is any leaked information about a Monsters, Inc. sequel in 2013… but in the process, they unintentionally leak that information themselves! Oh the irony! This makes it seem very possible that one is happening. We will have to wait and see, and hope that journalists grill Pete Docter on the red carpet of Up. :stuck_out_tongue:

As for a sequel itself, I’m a bit iffy… I’d much rather Pixar focus on original stories rather than sequels, but if Pixar are going to start doing the ‘two films per year’ thing from 2012 onwards, maybe we will end up with Monsters, Inc. 2 plus another original film in 2013. I’d be happy with that.

Great tagline, Martin. :slight_smile:

rachelcakes1985 - Think about it this way, sequels could bring the Pixar brand to a whole new level. Not only will we have critically acclaimed original works but the sequels will most likely be well recieved too but are guaranteed money makers which in turn fund the original stuff we all love. It’s win-win, especially if Pixar stays with their story philosophy (to make sequels only if they have an equal/better story). They seemed to have found one and are running with it.
Think about this now, you’re ten years old and you watched Toy Story, loved it. Now it’s 15 years later, you’re 25, married, have a kid and another on the way. How nostalgic would it be, seeing a sequel to a movie that epitomized your childhood with YOUR child!
The Disney•Pixar brand is already mega strong, but if everything works as planned, then there’s no stopping the lamp!
Note: Oh, and I don’t want to take credit for that tagline, it’s on the MI rides. But yeah, it’s a great tagline.

martini833, your nostalgic thing really got me. Really cool, indeed. I guess that’s the way it works. This is gonna be something like a Pixar magic! (you know, like Disney magic). :smiley:

I don’t really look forward to a sequel - I’m afraid of what will become of Randall.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again - I’d rather him not be in a sequel at all if they make him ‘evil’.

But as for this ‘leak’ … it looks to me as if someone just recalled the article or something and decided to type it in. Reading the article made me disgusted - it just seems nosey. :stuck_out_tongue:

Martin - I dunno… I’m still worried about Pixar making too many sequels. Yes, they would have an already established audience with recognisable characters, but I don’t want Pixar to become a sequel factory. I know the sequels will be good, but I’d still rather them be left as classics on their own, than to have sequels made out of them. But I’m still excited for this news, don’t get me wrong. :slight_smile:

Also, you should try looking up what keywords other Emeryville visitors have been using to access Upcoming Pixar. :stuck_out_tongue:

FONY - Actually, that’s a good point. The Pixarian could have been simply looking up those keywords in Google as a way to find the article again. However, there is no mention of 2013 in that article: only 2014/15. So that adds a little more weight to this actually being true, right there. :smiley: But I don’t think Randall will be in it. He was essentially killed off in the first one.

Rachel - I don’t really want to be stalkerish, I’ve talked to a few higher-ups at Pixar and promised them explicitly I wouldn’t do that ever unless it comes from another news outlet.
But in 2011 we’ll start the two pic a year deal. So we get, as Hannah Montana would say, the best of both worlds! :stuck_out_tongue:
Remember, before Pixar was bound by a contract which said “original” pictures which Disney interpreted differently than Pixar did, as in everything besides sequels count. Now Pixar has the liberty to explore sequels without being breached by that type of contract. I really trust Pixar, they can’t be doing 3 sequels that are trash, they’re smarter than that.
P.S. As I noted on the blog, I still realize it’s just a search and it could mean everything or nothing, so I don’t waat to get my hopes up too high, too soon…

So? He was one number off. We all make mistakes sometime! :laughing: Even Pixarians!

But there’s a possibility he could’ve lived - I just don’t want to hear another ‘comes back for revenge’ plot-line. :stuck_out_tongue:

If this is true, I’m excited!

Wait, so is Pixar going to start cranking out TWO a year? If so, my heart’s gonna jump out of my chest! Not only would it mean more Pixar movies, but they might need to hire more people.

queen_of_painting - Yes, starting in 2011 we’ll see Cars 2 and The Bear and the Bow, presumably it’s 1.5 movies a year, for example, two in 2011, one in 2012, then two in 2013, just a guess.
And yes, Pixar has always been actively expanding for optimum production capabilities.

The original article didn’t have mention of the year 2013, but the third comment down does. This would be where Google would be picking it up from. Besides, if you are trying to find an article like that, sometimes, you don’t remember it exactly.

I can’t say if this is true or not. It could be, but then again, who knows.

One other thing though. I don’t think that people should be grilling Pete Docter when they are interviewing him for Up. Why make the release of his new movie into reporters asking him that one question over, and over again? I think that the focus should be on Up.

If the response is ‘we can neither confirm, nor deny’, then maybe, PIXAR wants to leave whatever they are doing to be a surprise - and we should respect that. It’s the Apple way, and it’s how they used to be.

• C-3PO

I don’t like the sound of two movies a year. DreamWorks does that, and look at what they’re up to.

This.

On the one hand, he’s been in limbo for the past eight or so years, since we don’t know if he was killed or not. On the other hand, a Monsters, Inc. 2 in which Mike and Sulley continue their ‘shenanigans’ and their perfect little lives without a second thought to what they’ve done is something I can’t bear the thought of. If there was ever going to be a Pixar movie that I would boycott, it would be the one with the above storyline.

Plus, I’m generally not a sequel fan. I think they’re a bit unnecessary, to be honest. But that’s just my opinion. We’ll just have to wait and see with a Monsters, Inc. 2, but whatever decision is made at Pixar, it’s more than likely going to be the right one.

NO NO NO NO NO! THIS IS BAD! THIS IS VERY BAD!

First, they are starting to make too many sequels, and second, now they’re gonna start releasing two movies a year?

I REALLY DON’T like that. Especially the two movies a year. Because that’s what adds to making each of their movies so special, they each have their own year, but when they start sharing them, then they’d be in competition with each other for awards and other things!

Pixar must stick with being original, and not taking past ideas and creating something out of them again, which is basically what a sequel is. If they are making sequels just because they are out of ideas, or they think people will love seeing more of those characters, then they’re making a very big mistake. Because 1, if they are out of ideas then they could always wait a year or so and take their time coming up with a really good idea, and 2, wanting to see more of those characters is what makes those characters special because that means they did a good job making those characters real.

PIXAR IS GETTING DREAMWORKS SYNDROME
In other words, Pixar is getting lazy.

Yes they will have to hire more people, I heard they’re trying to go for 1,200 employees in the future. So, so far they’ve got around 800, so a lucky 400 more to go.

I know! And … it would be even more of a challenge to Pixar, to bring the ‘villain’ back and either redeem him, make the audience pity him to a certain extent, or ‘make him good’, rather than that old shtick of “omg he’s alive and he’s gonna get us for what we did!”

And, to realize that Mike and Sulley illegally banished Randall, possibly to his death, without anyone showing concern of it … maybe it wasn’t considered during the movie, but if they don’t bring that up in the sequel … that’ll make Mike and Sulley look even worse. I know Randall chased them, I know they thought their own lives were in danger, but the right thing to do would be to bring Randall to be dealt with by the cops, and to not take Randall’s life into their own hands, or in this case claws.

Wow. Sorry for the little rant. I’ve been writing. :blush:

This is how I’m starting to feel about it. I always associate a year with a Pixar movie, because it makes it more special and exciting. One a year is perfect for me. If anything, they should do two movies every 1.5 years.

Really, what bothers me about this is that the quality of the films might go down. If Pixar’s going to continue its strong reputation, ALL of the new directors (Unkrich I can see succeeding, but Lewis doing a sequel to an already meh movie? He needs more experience!) and story artists have to be as great as what we’ve been used to seeing. The bar’s set pretty high.

But, in the end, I have faith in Pixar. If this plan fails in the end, perhaps they will slow down the releases and give each film the attention it deserves. I don’t think they’re just gonna run with it and pray everything turns out alright. They’re smarter than that. =)

I haven’t seen any evidence of Pixar going 2 films per year any time soon, they are currently at 1 a year, and are ramping up to 3 films every two years. To me, 2 new creations and one sequel is a great ratio.

I doubt that the Studios output will increase further, as it would be harder for Disney Animation and Pixar Animation to coexist without eating into their own markets.

Pixar releases.

UP!

Toy Story 3

Cars 2
The Bear And the Bow

Newt

Monsters Inc 2
Something New

Something New

When you couple the above with WDFA releases we have the following,

Up
The Princess And The Frog

Toy Story 3
Rapunzel

Cars 2
The Bear and the Bow

Newt
The King of the Elves

Monsters Inc 2

I think its highly unlikely Disney will start releasing three or more animated films a year or that Pixar is losing it creative edge by doing a few sequels.

I also highly doubt that Randall will have any part of any possible sequel, much like Sid and his dog were never reprised in Toy Story 2, the Randall story was wrapped up nicely as well.