Monsters Inc. Ride & Go Seek! (NEW ride at Tokyo Disney)

Hey guys, just recently I’ve come across a ride POV of the new Monsters Inc. ride over at Tokyo Disneyland on Youtube, and thought the folks at PixarPlanet would love to see it. Anyways, from what I see from this video, the ride looks amazing!! :astonished:
I’m actually quite jealous now of their Monsters Inc. attraction… It makes the MI attractions at DLR and WDW look like a joke… From the amazing amount of detail, special effects and originality of the storyline (They didn’t just copy the story from the movie and paste it into the ride like DLR’s)… This looks like a true Monsters Inc. ride experience, as opposed to the American attractions - Yeah, you just gotta see for yourself:

Part 1:
youtube.com/watch?v=dsXWnixC0RU

Part 2:
youtube.com/watch?v=okmB8_i4i30

PS: I believe the ride is not even open yet to the public and is still in its soft-opening, so this is a really early video of it.
Tell me what’cha guys think of it. :wink:

:open_mouth: I really need to go to Tokyo now! :laughing:

Wow, it’s as though they’ve actually built Monsters, Inc. itself! That’s quite a ride, and I agree, the original storyline is what makes it very unique in comparison to other rides of a similar nature. Not that I agree with the ending of the story- that’s a pretty gory idea for a kid’s ride…But nonetheless, it still looks like a lot of fun. Thanks for the links, Disney_Guy!

This is the same ride which a member of the Boggs Board posted pics of, the one in which Randall meets a very gruesome demise, much worse than what happened to him in the trailer. I hope this is not considered “canon”, or that it will be the theme of the new coaster in Florida.

pitbulllady

I thought the part with Randall going through the trash compactor in the end was hilarious. :laughing:
I wouldn’t call it “gory”, though. It’s more like a Looney Tunes or Tom & Jerry type satire, where in the end the characters never die. In this case, Randall didn’t die, he was just squished into a cube. haha
I also would not say this type of “violence” is anything new for a either. They’ve done wacky things before in their theme parks and animated classics.

Anyways, one cool effect I noticed… Did you guys notice [spoil]at the beginning of the ride when Mike pulls the main power switch and all the lights go out, did anyone else notice when the flashlight was shined on him, his pupil got slightly smaller? I wonder how they do that. :open_mouth: [/spoil]

The characters in Monsters, Inc are nothing at all like the old Looney Tunes or Tom and Jerry characters, which never got hurt. In the movie, they fear being killed, and they can be hurt. There would be no reason for that if they knew that nothing could actually happen to them. In the movie, Sulley clearly figured that Boo was being killed when he thought that SHE went through the trash compactor, so while the ride’s ending might not be as gory as it would be in reality, it still meant that Randall was dead-that he wasn’t just going to pop out of that cube, and no, I don’t find it “hilarious” at all.

pitbulllady

Wow, tough crowd, tough crowd.
I guess not everyone could appreciate everything.
For me, that moment is NOTHING. I’m sorry if you see it as glorified violence, but it truly is nothing compared to what other things we’re exposed to in this world. Randall did not die, he was squished into a cube. His eyes were even moving around in the end… That should be more than enough evidence he did not die. Plus it’s not like the movie itself didn’t go to drastic measures for the guy. I mean, throwing him through a door only to get beaten with a giant shovel is totally acceptable. :unamused:

But anyways, I love the look of this ride not just because of that scene, but I love it because it looks like Disney Imagineering took some serious hard work and labor to make this the most detailed and recreated attraction of Monsters Incorporated to date, and all the amazing little details they put in. It truly looks like a TRUE Monsters Inc. experience.

I totally agree, I would even dare saying it’s one of the best Disney imagineered rides ever!

Oh yes, Ran’s surely fine :slight_smile: Otherwise the heros are killers, and we can’t have that now can we ^0^

They’ve nailed that ride. The layout of the ride is superb. Storyline is great. Should make Tokyo DL a new possibility for my next holiday.

Haha, don’t fret too much about it Disney_Guy. I would’ve warned you earlier but yea, it’s like taking a dip into boiling water the minute you step into this side of the forum. :unamused:

Some people just take things to a level WAY too seriously over here for a G rated movie. 8D

Staying on topic I will agree with the majority here and say the Imagineering crew definitely deserves an applause on this one. Architects also get big ups for amazing attention to detail… :-D)

:mrgreen:

Warned me when/what/where? haha
Oh I’m rather calm about this, I was just trying to make a point about that scene in the ride.
I didn’t really want to talk about the G-rated movie to begin with, I just wanted to see what people thought about this new ride, that’s all.

Yea I know… :wink:

It’s just that whether you want to talk about it or not, the subject STILL comes up one way or another (check out all the other threads)…8D

Moving on from that matter let’s just get back on topic here…

cranes neck Don’t act like we’re a mosh pit Pixfan.

Hmmm, I don’t know…kinda hard to tell the difference sometimes…:open_mouth:

I’m kidding, I’M KIDDING…:wink:

The point I was trying to make is the fact that most that are new to the forum here may not be aware of how ‘deep’ the discussions here (Monsters, inc) can get. In the case of a disagreement, many can pretty much expect a ‘thorough reply’ to the matter.

In the end every one’s entitled to their opinion blah blah etc…, I think we’ve heard this speech once or twice in our lives already so I won’t repeat it.

and as a second (or third) attempt…BACK ON TOPIC please…

Exactly. And note that the topic beginner had no intent of attack or anything like that. We just putting out our opinions on a certain little matter with no intent of attack on the new member at all.
People seem to forget that :unamused:

Nonetheless, felt to address, and back to the topic.

Yes guys, please don’t use this thread to discuss Randall and his fate at the end of the movie. You already have at least one thread for that issue, or if you don’t have an exclusive thread for that, you can make one. This thread is to discuss the new Monsters, Inc. ride at Tokyo Disneyland, so please stay on topic.

What I especially like about this ride is in the interactivity- the fact that the riders can use a torch to try and spot things probably makes it one of those rides that you want to go on several times to see if you missed anything the first time round!

Anyway, although Randall was squished into a cube, wasn’t Mike electrocuted at some point? I enjoyed that part. :laughing:

Haha, that part was funny too. Looks like his eye gets electricity in it too, and his flashlight flickers.

Do you guys think if this does well they’ll bring it over to the states? I really hope they do because, quite frankly, I don’t understand Japanese :laughing: