So is Monsters Inc. 2 on Pixar's drawing boards?

Think Pixar should make a second Monsters Inc.

• 1. YES! I loved Monsters Inc. and think they should definaltely make a MI2!!
  • 2. Yeah. I wouldn’t mind a sequel if it doesn’t suck.
  • 3. Monsters Inc 1 was okay, I’m so-so on a second.
  • 4. Naw. MI is fine as is.
  • 5. NO! If they release a Monsters Inc. 2, I will kick somebody!

0 voters

Disclaimer: I am fully aware that McQueen & Sally already has a bit similar to the following topic open but the content of my post differs a bit from mine but Mods, should you feel this should go with her/his other thread by all means, please, feel free to merge this with that or lock it.

I’ve been scouting across the web a week or two ago and have been finding rumors about a Monsters Inc 2 and disney/pixar planning a sequal to the movie.

Not that it matters to Pixar one ioda what I think being that I don’t work for them but I personally think that Monsters Inc is fine as is and doesn’t really need a second installment.

I don’tt mean to imply that it was a bad movie, because it was kinda of cool really! It wasn’t a masterpiece like Toy Story but it was pretty good. I just get the strange feeling if Pixar does come out with a second Monsters Inc it will turn out to be plastic and won’t be as good as the first. I mean- I’d probably go see it but I’d wait for the DVD release.

Don’t quote me on this but I recall reading on a fansite that Pixar was to release a second MI in like 2014 or something. Again, this was from a fansite from what i remember so just take this as lightly as if somebody came to you and said “the sky is falling!”… but then Monsters Inc 2 is obviously WAYYY more possible than the sky falling lol!!!

Thoughts? Sources? Confirmations?

Current factual to near-factual information indicates M.I. 2 to be released in 2013. However speculation may indicate a possible sooner-release due to sequel V.S. original film production.

SNNNAPPPS! Seems like I’m a little late on the news heehee!

Seeing as you dislike the idea of sequel…for a sequel’s sake…thought you’d be a little less ethusiastic…

forreal forreal I’m not that excited. definaltely not as excited as i am about TS3…

But whoknow’s it might be worth watching anyway.

Ignore my poll, everybody!

And added poll…interesting…

Though I will not delve into my reasoning that relates to my position about the franchise (not until the video contest, anyway), I WILL say that I’m starting to go against the idea of a sequel, based on recent information I have obtained about their “previews”.

I honestly have not doubted Pixar, and probably will never. If they have another story that they think should be told in the monster world…I say full speed ahead! :smiley:

What am I supposed to say that hasn’t already been said on the topic of MI2? Either: I’m all for it, this should never be made, or I don’t care. (I’m for the first choice, personally)

My position on this is pretty much the same as I’ve stated before, for this and other sequels. I trust Pixar to come up with a decent story, even when I cant figure out where they’d go with it. I’ll support a Pixar sequel as long as its good. (And as long as they dont get crazy with it, making 4, 5, or 6 of them)

MI2 would be awesome. I cant believe there are some doubters out there.

I had an idea:
In the monster world, time runs slower, so in my version of the sequel, it starts right where the first one left off, but Boo is talking about a real cat. She is 10 and she doesn’t remember Sulley or Mike or anyone in the Monster world.
That was the main idea

I feel enough time has passed to explain my opinions about the M.I. franchise:

The reason I’M a doubter of M.I.2 is, to put it bluntly, I’m a Randall fan. Yes, you read that correctly. And I DON’T believe that he was evil in the movie either. But that’s all I’m going to say about the first movie; I don’t want to risk any more hot-headed debates than necessary.

Me being a Randall fan means, for one thing, that I’m skeptical about how he will be portrayed in the sequel. As said in one of my Randall videos:

“Many Randall lovers and haters alike argue that he will be kept in character in the sequel…Surprisingly, this will be unlikely, proven by a recent Boom! Comics development, which WILL be canon!”

In retrospect, I meant to say “extended canon” instead of just “canon”, but you all probably get my point.

Now, how does this relate to the sequel? It might show just how Pixar views their characters, especially since Pixar endorsed these comics.

The drastic story changes are not even limited to Randall’s personality! Boo acts like she did when she was two, when, in “reality” at least a year has passed, meaning, for one thing, that she’d start to have a vocabulary, which she doesn’t in these comics. There is no mention of Randall being banished, leaving questions about how he got back. In some of the upcoming issues there is even a whole new character thrown in: a human adult! This really convinces me either that:

a) Pixar does not know the story of these comics; they just endorsed it automatically,

b) the comics are scrapped story ideas all compiled into one, meaning that Pixar is not going to base the movie sequel off of them, or

c) the comics are proof that Pixar will be to the upcoming Monsters Inc. 2 as I’ve heard J.K. Rowling is to the last Harry Potter books: unfaithful to the predecessors.

I hope that either scenario a) or b) is the case, but something in the back of my mind keeps telling me that the reality is scenario c). :frowning:

Extended canon? Canon is canon.

Canon is canon and extended canon is extended canon.
It is indeed a real term. Extended canon refers to material that can be considered canon, but the material itself can be brought into question with true canon.
For instance, Cars is canon, while the mini-episodes they had featured on Disney are considered Extended Canon.
Workers on the comic and Pixar refer to these comics as Extended Canon themselves.

Which is exactly why I used that phrase in my previous post: it was a quote from a discussion between another member of this forum and the main artist of the comics.

Again, the use of that phrase instead of just “canon” may be the only hope we have for the sequel. So many things are inaccurate (and again, it’s NOT limited to Randall’s personality) that other times it makes me question whether Pixar really DOES view their characters this way alongside the Boom! people.

It’s a really interesting mythoverse. It think there’s enough mileage for a sequel to the original. Heck if I can come up with another one, but if they put their minds to work on it, I’m sure they can do at least one more.

I don’t mind Mike and Sully a bit. Boo was interesting, too, and like Andy in TS 3, there’s room to ‘grow up’ in the story line. There’s also the “through the looking glass” style of plot where the Monsters are truly stranded in the human world.

Whatever, there’s plenty of other good ones to come, maybe we’ll be ready for MI 2 when they’re through with the current projects.