Put that thing back where it came from or so help me

I alwaysed like the part of the movie when he talks about the play and when they do it. I would think it would also make a great Pixar short. Anybody else?

Nope. I’m assuming that by “he” you mean Mike Wazowski, so no. Anything that’s just another way of stroking that already-massive ego I can do without. He tries to make himself out to be a brave hero, when he’s neither, not by a long shot. Mike was a party to something illegal, or at the very least, highly unethical, yet his play was intended to glorify this and himself. I much prefer the short, “Mike’s New Car”, when that ego gets taken down a few notches…by a car, no less. Karma has a way of doing that.

pitbulllady

I would generally have to agree with pitbulllady, at least in regards to the play. On top of her reasons, however, I honestly found the play quite bizarre, which might have been the intention on Pixar’s part, but I’m uncertain.

And the humiliating of a certain ex-coworker certainly did not help my opinion of it, and not just in regards to the play itself. One would notice that none of the audience looks shocked in the scene of Needleman portraying him, even despite, for all they knew, he was watching it with them. Both disturbing and (stereo)typical within a movie.

The whole concept of the play was also a little…risky, in regards to Mike. In the end of the main movie, the CDA resorted to a conspiracy by making everyone cover everything up, and yet they allowed a mildly (emphasis on MILDLY) accurate retelling to the public about the events that were supposed to be covered up!

As for a short based on the play, my biggest reason against one is ACTUALLY due to the fact that we’ve already seen the play, even if only highlights.

Sincere apologies if parts of this post hit anyone personally. I’m just a REALLY big fan of the certain ex-coworker.

Catch the reins guys, he’s new…
Pixarfan…the play was, massly, a company play that would be considered humorous to many.
However…Micheal Wazowski is just…rather a self-indulged person. Heck, he claimed many responsibilities of the play. If I recall uhh…writer, director, actor…basically all the “main” positions of any production. And making HIMSELF star and hero with no faults that he OBVIOUSLY has…it’s just like Pitbulllady said, one big stroke to his ego.
I can’t recall Sullivan’s face at the time, but I think he understood better than doing the play wasn’t such a good idea.

Jeeze. Is there any Monsters, Inc. thread that hasn’t been turned around to focus on Randall, lol?

Put That Thing Back Where it Came From or So Help Me! is one of the most hilarious scenes of the movie. However, I don’t think it needs a short film as the extended edition of the company play at the end credits does it enough justice.

I did not intend to do that; what I said in relation to him was all I planned to in this thread, and it’s actually relevant, to an extent, considering what I said was connected to the play.

I agree that was rather presumptuous Rachel. You think every topic “fans” of his comment on will always try and make it about him? I myself made no referrance at all to Randall and focused on the “creator” of the play.
And Sgtyayap only made a brief referrance himself.
But since it was done, I’ll make a small referrance myself. Since the two illegally banished another monster and are making a play detailing the events, I would honestly wonder how it looked if a full version was done…to see how they handled “this little thing”. folds arms

But this thread isn’t to discuss Randall or how much you dislike Mike. The OP was asking whether it not we think the company play should be turned into a short film. We have a few threads about the alleged mistreatment of Randall already, or perhaps if you would like to create just one dedicated thread for that discussion you can feel free to do so.

I was not discussing him at the time till you brought him up. And you claiming that I “dislike Mike” allot is another presumption. Granted, out of Randall, Sullivan, and Wazowski, the last I have least sympathy for. Though I have on many occassions defended Sullivan in many cases. Besides, Pixarfan said he always liked the play, so the play itself can also be up for discussion.
It was not my intent to bring Randall in on this. I concentrated on the play. If you think many of us come here just to make the M.I. thread uncomfortable, your dead wrong. Now lets drop the assumptions.

I’m sorry this is going on in your topic Pixarfan. So I’m leaving it at that.
As for the making of it as a Pixar Short…it had it’s own small segment in the DVD and VHS release. Have you seen it? It’s not a complete reanactment, but just some snipits here and there. It’s…a minute or couple long…a little less than a Pixar Short. So generally it kinda got itself a short, but having a full one with the story sorta “accelerated” would be interesting. Think they did that in a film once where the ending (or the DVD title screen) basically told the whole story in a couple seconds.

I thought that scene and the play at the end were both hilarious, although I’m not sure if it needs a short. There wouldnt be too much more I’d think you could add without making it go too long. Add more song snippets I guess, but the ones they add were good enough for me :slight_smile:

How about an afterparty? Evidently it would be interesting to see Wazowski with his family (or just his Mom it seems), and Sullivan with his (as he does have a family too). Would be interesting seeing what they had to say about the play and about the incident it portrays (though apparently seems Wazowskis mom at least is undetered and enjoys her son’s performance)

The company play was one of my favourite parts but I feel that they did all that could be done with it without retelling the whole story again.
I would like to see the next annual company play (surely there should be another) as a short film.

I couldn’t see “Put That Thing Back” working as a short - I think we saw enough of it from the end-credits to get the joke, plus it wouldn’t make as much sense outside the context of the film - but I would like to see another Mike and Sulley short in the style of “Mike’s New Car” (since the two of them have terrific chemistry). With Monsters, Inc 2 now on the horizon, it looks like it could be a possibility.

Well, Mike turning the line “put that thing back where it came from, or so help me!” into a musical on a moment’s whim to cover up Boo has always been a favorite part in the movie of mine. I also quote it more often than any other line.

As for the musical at the end, the whole intention of it was to be funny and give the audience a few laughs at the end of the film. It in no way is a part of the overall story. Once Sulley opens that door, Boo says “Kitty” and he smiles, the story is over. Anything after that is just for fun, and entirely seperate. Thus, Mike being writer, producer, actor, director is just supposed to be funny; on the list of funny, it would certainly hold a place. Seeing as the concept of the musical was something Mike created himself (though unintetionaly), I’m not surprised at all that he is the driving force behind it and fills all these roles; its his “baby”. I mean, this isn’t Broadway. It is a production at a factory, clearly something that would not be taken overly serious. I do not agree that Mike is striking his own ego. Pixar was just trying to be funny with this moment, and that was the best way to knock in a few last laughs.

Also, though the CDA attempted to cover up the scare, Mike could just advertise his play as a work of complete fiction. Why would anyone believe otherwise?

As for an entire short film, I think it might be too redundant to do. After all, we had those clips at the end of the film and the musical has a very similar plot to the flim itslef. Then again, a short film musical would be very cute. Who knows? The animators might one day decide to have a little fun and make this film just for the heck of it.

Go Randall.

The musical at the end was a very nice touch. I love Pixar´s running gags
.They even didn´t forget to cover Mike´s face at the magazine (like they did in the commercial) at the end of the movie :laughing:

I don´t think the short would be a good idea. Giving too much screentime to a simple joke would ruin it.

I find it funny how at first, he uses it to make people think they’re just rehearsing a play instead of talking about a human child and later, he ends up turning it into a real play that becomes really popular with the community.

I always loved the company play. It has to be one of my favorite Pixar credits, after Up and Toy Story 2. It’s definitely the funniest, if not “best”.