If Mike and Celia got engaged...

In the DVD commentary, it is revealed that at one point in story development, Mike was going to propose to Celia at Harryhausen’s. This was decided against, however, as the engagement would have then been the thing that drove Mike and Sully apart and it was important from a story perspective that Boo was the thing that drove them apart. Obviously, that was the best decision, but what if they had decided to go ahead with the engagement storyline? Would the movie have been as strong and enjoyable as the movie we know and love? What kind of marriage would Mike and Celia have?

You missed the most important question. What will Celia look like with all of her snakes wearing little veils.

I don’t think the movie would have been as enjoyable- as you pointed out, WheezysBestBud, it would then have been Mike and Celia’s engagement that pushed Mike and Sulley apart, essentially marring Celia’s reputation in the audience’s eyes. You can see how akward Sulley feels when Celia and Mike are together as it is, so for that to have been the focal point of the movie would mean plenty of sympathy for Sulley and a distaste for Celia, which, I think, would have been a shame.

Plus, as much as they seem like a happy couple in the film, I don’t think Mike and Celia will do that well in the long run. Celia shows plenty of signs of paranoia throughout the movie, from her date with Mike in Harryhausen’s right up to her demanding Mike to tell her what’s going on, and their relationship is fake and forced. They don’t seem to listen to each other, and Mike seems to underestimate Celia’s intelligence, which is a shame. At the same time, the relationship could pull through but there would have to be some changes made to both of their attitudes to it, I think.

Would you mind elaborating on how he underestimates her intelligence?

I’m totally with you on this one, LG! Mike seems to think that everyone, including Celia Mae, will simply accept his lies as truth and won’t question what he says. I think that Celia Mae had started to catch onto the fact that her “Googly Bear” had some issues with telling the truth as well as some major control issues. Take a look at how he treats Sulley, for instance. He orders Sulley around constantly, puts him down in front of others, and even tells him when he can and cannot speak. What woman in her right mind in THIS day and age is going to put up with a man doing that to her? Celia Mae clearly was an independent, intelligent gal, not the sort to cow-tow down to a guy just because he had a “Y” chromosome. She’d also realized that Mike wasn’t the bravest individual on the planet; he’d leave her to her fate and save his own behind if push came to shove, rather than sticking by her. And then there’s the whole narcissism thing, which Mike Wazowski had down to an art form. I don’t know about most of the females here, but I sure would not want to be stuck with any guy who would spend more time gazing with admiration and adoration in the mirror than he would looking at me!

pitbulllady

WheezysBestBud- He spends most of the movie lying to her and expects her not to be suspicious or aware of anything that’s been going on, when obviously that isn’t the case. It’s a shame really, as I think Celia’s a great character who is probably also underestimated by the audience as well.

Although many people who like Wazowski may not see it…he IS a liar. And he’s rather good at it. However, Celia is not a fellow worker in his eyes, but a women that he thinks might “be the one”.
And funny enough I think that phase IS used by people who HAVE “played the field” before…
And needless to say it leads to wonder if Wazowski IS ready for commitment. In fact I see him struggling with giving up some parts of himself TO have a relationship with her. For instance, he has to trust her more and not lie to her. Sure he can be devinar if he wants to (well…not really. But Celia plays along and it’s good for both of them…though for Wazowski it’s really stroking his ego but…), and maybe that’s what caught Celia’s eye (literally).

And Celia, I know, is a rather strong woman. Heck. You don’t see dainties cheering out “crush’em!!!” at a Monster Truck Rally. So I think that there are some “guy interests” Celia herself has. All in all she herself is quite a catch and I’m glad Wazowski sees that.

As for marriage…I think Wazowski will have trouble committing. It’s like the whole bachelor thing (which would’ve made it a repetative uncreative approach for the film as the main plot)…he’d have to pick up his game, be supportive, not be lying to her on a daily basis when something’s going down…

Do I think they’ll marry?..Yes. As a matter a fact I do. But it will be a bumpy road. And then again so is marriage to…well…ANYBODY who’s married.

The one I’m worried about, don’t be surprised, is actually Sullivan. Although Wazowski isn’t the tiptopist choice of a friend (as Sullivan himself sees bits of Wazowski he doesn’t like)…he’s the closest one Sullivan’s got. And once he goes on to live his life with Celia…well despite Celia liking Sullivan as well…the two will unintentionally well…leave him in the dust.

I don’t know. YourMileageMayVary, but while I did see that there was a lot of tension between Mike and Celia’s relationship throughout the film, I didn’t find it impossible that the two could ever end up together.

I don’t think anyone can really blame Mike for not explaining to Celia in the first place what was going on. Randall was listening in and for the child’s sake Mike couldn’t just announce to her “Look, I’m sorry you didn’t have a good birthday, but that’s because we’re hiding the missing child in the factory, trying to get her home.” If they were alone, I’m sure he would have explained it to her. Which he did at the end, which is also why she was so eager to accept him back afterwords. They were both victims of circumstance, but they still definitely cared for each other nonetheless.

I mean, sure. Mike may be a bit self-deluded at times, and Celia is probably more than a little insecure but I personally felt that they had really good chemistry. Seriously, what strong relationship isn’t without its occasional series of disputes and disagreements? I think as Jennifer Tilly stated on the MI special features, Mike isn’t amazingly talented but at the same time he’s definitely not a bad guy either.

Though I do have to wonder what threshold Celia has in terms for Wazowski. I meant though he doesn’t really care himself, Wazowski has some skeletons in his closet. Wonder how Celia would react.
Then again…Celia seems the type to be quick to forgive, or at least forgive in the end in an understanding matter. That is perhaps a golden trait that a woman would need to be with someone like Wazowski. Celia is, like said, a great catch.

Personally, it seemed to me that they would actually have a pretty good relationship and marriage given the chance, it wouldn’t be perfect but then again, what relationship really is…although personally, Celia’s constant suspicisions could lead to other problems in the long run, after all, if she’s this much doubtful when Mike is lieing to her about certain things, oh dear, hate to think of how she will act when he’s actually being honest with her…in fact, her actions could contribute to part of any marriage problems between the two, that I could see happening…but as far as character relationships, Mike and Celia’s is one of the few throughout the Disney and Pixar universe that I do like due to the fact that Celia isn’t entirely a “pin up” if you will unlike most female characters who just by looks alone, you know that having any guy sit, stay, and roll over for them is not a problem…like I said, there are few character relationships that I like out there but Mike and Celia’s for me is a close second to Jack and Sally’s…as far as an ego slight cough it seems to me that nearly every guy has one, regardless of whether they admit it or not…