I can't believe Monsters Inc lost to Shrek.

Who should have won the Oscar for best soundtrack?

• Monsters Inc
  • Shrek

0 voters

You can read the article here: [url]pixartalk.com about how Shrek won an Oscar over Monsters Inc for its soundtrack.

Oh man. Shrek was okay for a few laughs, but Monsters Inc was far superior in every way possible. All the animation in Shrek looked kind of…pimply and gross. Look how amazing Sulley’s hair is! :smiley:

I have to admit that the music from Shrek was pretty good, but it was not original at all, using mostly popular rock songs. It just can’t compare to RANDY NEWMAN and the great original orchestral themes. I’m pretty sure the decision was based on what was ‘in’ and hip at the time. :imp:

As PixarTalk states, it is clear which movie has aged better.

Which one do you think ought to have won?

Yeah, but you have to remember that the original Shrek was considered to be something fresh and new when it came out, which probably grabbed a lot of people’s attention. Now however, the DreamWorks trend of pop culture songs and voices has defiantly been overplayed in animated films. I seem to remember that even the film itself was ahead of Monsters Inc. at the box office, but Monsters Inc. was very close behind.

I do agree with you on how baffling it is that their soundtrack won over Randy Newman’s score, I mean how many times have people heard some of those popular songs before they were used in Shrek?

Ignoring the commercial songs in the film, I think that Shrek’s score is superior to Monster’s Inc’s. Very little of MINC’s OST stuck out for me.

Monsters, Inc.'s soundtrack, for me, really made the film. That jazzy, uplifting beat perfectly captures the feel of the Monster World and its characters, whilst with Shrek, I can’t even remember the non-poppy songs, showing that in my opinion, the soundtrack was pretty forgettable and didn’t create a feel for the film.

I too agree that Monsters Inc had a better soundtrack. From the moment it starts the soundtrack just sucks me right into it. I dont remember what the Shrek soundtrack was like outside of the pop songs.

I voted for Monsters, Inc. because I agree, the tracks are SO much better. I also hate Dreamworks SKG and their movies, so, yeah. I’m with you 200% of the way here.

I think Monsters, Inc is a better film than Shrek, but Shrek had better music.

Whoever voted Shrek on that poll does not know a good movie when they see one.

I can’t respect the teeny music and lame fart jokes in Shrek. I just can’t. The random pop culture references that have nothing to do with anything are annoying, too. Monsters, Inc. should have won b/c the music AND movie were 100000000% better.

Movie and Music was so much better!!!

Shrek should not have won. Monsters inc’s soundtrack was awesome! especially the opening titles!

I think the reason Shrek was so popular was because it was one huge Take That at Disney. Remember, it came out in 2001, right after the Disney Renaissance in the 1990s. As the Nostalgia Critic says, in that time, animation was “Disney and Disney rip-offs.” Something coming out that mocked those movies was probably hugely welcome, and admittedly pretty funny. Unfortunately, as the movies progress, the Disney-satire really only amounts to “Harharhar look how anti-feminist the Disney Princesses are!” Because when in doubt, throw crap at the Disney princesses. (Please, Mulan would kick Fiona’s &%*)

Anyway, yeah, Randy Newmen > pop songs. Yeah, fine, some of the songs were okay, but they weren’t really my style.

I think Monsters Inc was much better than Shrek but I also like Monsters Inc to become of my favorite movies and I think that monsters should aver livestock and their songs were very nice :smiley:

I agree. As the movies progressed, Disney-mocking was exclusively to the Princesses. Now I wish I begged my mom to take me to Monsters, Inc.

I’m still trying to understand how MI lost to Shrek. But let Shrek take that trophy, Pixar has only taken over half of the other statues in this categorie’s history. :wink:

When part of Monsters’ Inc’s soundtrack returns in Toy Story 3, you KNOW the soundtrack is great. I like the song All Star but Shrek had no influence in that. So, I’d say Monsters’ Inc. is better.

I agree with both of your claims.

:sunglasses: We scare…because we care.

You double posted!! ARGH!!! No, just kidding. :smiley: shakes hand I’m Virginia, it’s nice to meet you.

Anyway, I hate Shrek’s soundtrack, so, as you can imagine, I agree with you guys.

I must admit Shrek was a great film, along with some other Dreamworks films, but I’d pick Pixar over them anyday, so it’s Monsters Inc.