Other humans in Monstropolis

As we all know, Boo is able to get into her closet and get into Monstropolis, When everyone finds out, they freak out and are very scared. It seems to be a really big deal cause the C.D.A. was looking everywhere. In a book, Sid somehow gets in and starts stealing other kids toys cause there “dangerous”.
Roz said he caused them them alot of trouble. So are Boo and sorta Sid the only humans who have been to the Monster world? They proberly had Monsters Inc for some time. There must have been more humans in the Monster world.

In a book? What book are you talking about?

Sid? From Toy Story?

Other than that, I can’t imagine people would know about closets being portals into the monster world, so I doubt that many humans have been there. Of course, there is always that one meddling kid who would follow his monster back into the closet, so I’m sure it has happened a few times.

The Book is Monsters Inc- Laugh Factory.

Pixarfan91 is correct, it’s in the comics I believe. It’s quite a strange storyline but I guess they were just being a bit creative in crossing some Pixar worlds over.

It’s an interesting question, though. My guess is that there have probably been quite a few similar incidents over the years, and perhaps when Monsters, Inc. was first set up, a human came into the Monster World and caused havoc in some way- hurting some monsters, probably by accident, or something of that sort- and then the precedent was set that humans are scary and dangerous. I’d say it probably happens a couple of times a year, even, especially considering how many CDA there are and how quick their response is. It’s a large investment to have an organisation like that, training up that many CDA members and buying and maintaining all of their equipment, so if humans only came into the world once every one hundred years or something, it wouldn’t be worthwhile.

It’s a very twisted and IMO messed-up plot of a comic from BOOM! comics. In it, Sid is a brilliant criminal mastermind, a genius way beyond Syndrome, even, who has discovered not only how to cross dimensional boundries at will, but is apparently psychic, as well. He knows his way around Monstropolis better than a NY cabbie knows Broadway, and is able to pinpoint a maximum-security prison in the city, bribe a guard, and spring two inmates he’s never even met before, so that they can help him rid the Human World of toys. He’s very violent towards women and impervious to pain.

Yeah, THAT Sid…you know, the one who wound up becoming a garbage man.

Seriously, despite BOOM’S artist’s claim that their stories are “extended canon”(methinks she might have an “extended ego”), there is NO WAY this can be in any way considered canon. It is simply too ludicrous.

Boo is the only human that we KNOW of getting into Monstropolis, though there could have been others. Given their lack of knowledge about humans, and children in particular, though, it stands to reason that the monsters have not personally encountered very many humans other than those that the Scarers have collected Screams from, and those encounters were in the Human World and were far too brief to gain any real knowledge.

pitbulllady

Well…Boo doesn’t have the “ability” to get into her closet…only when her door is active. But yes, her appearence sparks mass panic (or should I say, Sullivan’s involvement)

sighs Yes. Sid appears in “Laugh Factory”. No…let me rephrase that. He’s part of the whole plot. So it’s set is one story. And by book 3…it all falls apart, becoming a complete waste. I don’t generally say this, but from then on, the story is crap.
However, thanks to Toy Story 3, those events are canceled out. For the best really, the comics were a rushed mess.

Now as for humans…this…is a topic that would take me too long to discuss as it stems from the beginning of Monster History and thereon…and right now I just don’t have the time.

didnt the reporter say on the tv “The anti children security was broken for the first time!” ?

Yoy know lizardgirl your theory seems nice, but i dont think a human children could hurt monsters, at least he carries a nuclear bomb on his backpack, the monsters of monstruopolis are more tall than a normal human in almost all cases, and they are much more stronger than normal humans too.

Hmm, good question. Perhaps it will be addressed in Monsters, Inc. 2?

I haven’t read the comic you’re all talking about, the one with Sid in it. But from what I’ve heard, I don’t really want to 8D

Given the “toxic card”, I’ll only explain from there for now…the large mass of monsters would panic over a human kid (as we’ve seen). Even a SOCK leads to a full squad of C.D.A. flocking in, panic in everybody else.
Panic can make people do stupid things, all out of a brooding fear.

I’d advise nobody to purchase these comics if they want to read a good story. Artist-wise, it is much better than the other comic versions of Monsters Inc. (the film mind you), but story-wise…there are much better fanfictions out there.

These…there are just so many plot holes and inexplainable portions that it is a mess.
The only saving grace the comic had was to show Sullivan’s disarray as M.I. CEO and realizing Wazowski uses him as an ego stroker (actual line in the first comic actually).

Additional…SID? shakes head They mean to say that EVEN with a WHOLE WOLRD to work with, full of thousands of possibilites…they had to BORROW from another one? And not just as a cameo, but as part of the plot.

I believe the news anchor said something along the lines of this being the first time its happened “in monster history”.

RECORDED monster history maybe though, it’s possible that it’s happened before though in my opinion. It’s either however been never found out OR been debunked perhaps. I’m sure there are LOTS of stories being entirely fictional or does have some actual real basis of humans getting in. It would be almost their version of ‘monster’ stories or shost stories in a way. Though of course they know humans are real for sure (so maybe its a bit like those old american legends of alligators being in the sewers?)

I don’t know, Roz’s line: “None of this ever happened gentlemen…” is sometimes odd, while generally it gets Sulley and Mike out of any trouble legally speaking in all areas (probably) it also means they are keeping under wraps that Boo got BACK maybe, and wouldn’t they want that to remove mass panic? That the kid was gone?

But a possible idea is they’d come out with the idea that the whole security breach was a hoax or something and had never really happened. I wonder who’d take the fall for that one if one did have to at all…

“We can neither confirm or deny the presence of a human child here tonight.”

Eventually people could accept the story of it being a hoax over time, especially if Boo never turns up in any form. People calm down. People laugh at their silliness, many more claim “Oh THAT, knew it was a hoax!”

Though of course some would probably still believe she came, but conspiracy theorists probably, and Boo’s story becomes an ‘urban legend’ as it were. Mike’s play displayed as fiction in order to not conflict with that line of keeping things underwraps, and could even be used as fodder for the legend (though not necessarily, it could simply be seen as people using ideas from the news to inspire absolute fiction which happens a lot in our world even, inspiration can come from various places).

The odd thing is the conspiracy theorists would be technically right, but they’d very possibly have come to the conclusion for the most part on the basis of illogical or faulty reasoning, in the sense of perhaps it being interesting or simply wanting it to be true. While some certainly could come the conclusion perhaps from logical reasoning, the illogical ones would certainly would be unfairly detrimental to their argument, or at the very least cause people to assume they are all crazy as it were. And even those which were more logical would perhaps simply be acknowledgeing that it was certainly POSSIBLE on the basis of the CDA and how it acts as well as witnesses in the restarurant… but witness accounts can sometimes be less accurate than you could like as people panic anyway and run without taking TOO good of a look at her they mostly ran (and photo was blurry, and could be faked), and honestly some of the evidence if we didn’t know what really went down could be ‘circumstantial’. And some people who listen to the idea would probably say it was POSSIBLE but that there isn’t enough backing it up maybe.

People who insist they ‘knew what they saw’ would be laughed at and for good reason. NO-ONE is above getting fooled or cannot possibly be strecthing the turth. And listen to some of those witnesses! Mindpowers! Lazer vision! That just makes the whole thing even less likely to be true, especially if they eventually discover those things were rubbish and humans couldn’t do them. No matter HOW smart you may think you are you’re not above being fooled or heck even be simply lying which a lot of people were that night. And like I said, their response was more or less “Agh! Human kid! Get away as fast as possible!” so it wasn’t as if they were studying her THAT closely.

Of course I wonder what they would have made Boo out to be? Someone in a costume? That would be pretty amusing given her disguise…

Maybe Sid came after the whole Boo incident.

In the comics, Sulley has been CEO long enough that the job is starting to frazzle his nerves, AND open his eyes to the fact that his best buddy is using him for his own glorification(I mean, come ON, Sulley, Homer Simpson could have figured THAT one out). We know it has to be post-movie, and the movie ended one year after Boo’s first appearance in the factory, as seen by the dates on the newspapers and the dates shown on Sulley’s stock market performance data graph he’s got on his clipboard, which SHOULD mean that Boo had aged one year, as well. However, in the comics, she STILL can’t speak except in simple, single words and baby talk, and she STILL can fit into that homemade “monster” costume Sulley made from his hold chair and other household items. For toddlers, a full year means a lot of developmental changes, both cognitively and physically…just ask any parent who has had to buy clothes for one! Yet in the comics, Boo essentially is developmentally delayed, remaining stuck, apparently forever, as a two-year-old. SID, however, is older than he was in TS1, now a teen instead of an adolescent, who is strong enough to physically man-handle Celia Mae and pin her, in a prone position that is quite suggestive, to the floor. He can tolerate the pain of Boo biting his arm with all her might(and I can attest to how painful a bite from a toddler can be) and brush it off like it’s nothing. He is completely unafraid of monsters of any sort. He has figured out how to manipulate the wormholes in the space-time continuum in order to access other universes, and for whatever reasons, wants the secret to the door stations in the factory to help him further his quest of ridding the Human World of toys. For reasons that are totally inexplicable, he knows Randall and Waternoose personally, and believes that they will help him in his endeavor. He also knows the exact location of the maximum security prison where they are being held; there is no mention of banishment, legal or otherwise, in the comics, and no indication that Randall was ever thrown into the Human World or beaten with anything, and it’s implied that he is simply a career criminal and close personal associate of Waternoose who has been on the run from the law in the Monster World ever since the movie’s incident. While the movie made it clear that there was no love lost whatsoever between the scaly Scarer and the former CEO, and that Waternoose was the one calling the shots, in the comics, RANDALL actually seems to be the one controlling Waternoose, and even calls him names, yet the comics also make it seem as if they were old pals who were in cahoots voluntarily, on both parts, which again, contradicts the movie. There is just so much there that is contrary to the canon of both MI and TS1 that it’s almost laughable.

Now, to what MG said about Roz and the CDA; we are supposed to believe that in the end, they are the cavalry that comes to the rescue and deals with the bad guys, but that line of Roz’s-"Gentlemen, none of this EVER happened-certainly implies that they are a shady government agency which is frequently involved in cover-ups of human-related security breaches and are also not above covering up illegal activities on the part of certain monster citizens, either. As MG suggested, there could have been many other humans finding their way into the Monster World, but the CDA would have threatened any witnesses into keeping their silence, or had them committed to mental institutions and labeled as “insane”, or simply eliminated those witnesses, permanently. We know that they covered up Boo’s entry into their world, they covered up Sullivan’s and Wazowski’s involvement, AND they covered up whatever happened to Randall, who, law-breaker or not, was still a citizen who should have had the same rights as any other citizen to legal counsel and to a trial, and anyone who violated those rights should have been subject to legal investigation/punishment as well, unless Monstropolis has in place some form of monster segregation/apartheid under which certain types of monsters are not granted those fundamental rights. The CDA knew all about this, yet they concealed it. Knowledge is power, and if you know more than others, you have power over them, and in the end, that’s what the CDA is all about-power and control of the populace, a very dangerous group masquerading as protection agains an non-existant threat.

pitbulllady

(I’m an idiot. I posted this in the wrong thread at first. Copy and posted up here where it belongs).

Personally, while I see them covering a lot of things up and being generally underhanded in a lot of areas, I more see the CDA as an incredibly dark grey rather than all out black-only-in-it-for-the-power. Humans ARE potentially dangerous in a way…

Just not in the way they’re presented.

Plus there are also other things they benefit from from keeping the idea of say humans being equals to monsters more in the dark, let’s face it, some would be pretty darn uncomfortable with them entering kids bedrooms if they knew this. Whether to make them scream or laugh even if it is for energy.

Just saying. Because you know. It’s just not something that would be taken as… very appropriate?

You know?

It’s a bit different than seeing them as a lower animal. Plus people get curious, tell people if they spend too long in the presence of humans and they’ll die from something like ‘toxicity’ and less monsters who are curious are willing to poke around the human world themselves (and banished monsters? Less likely to also go near them to begin with). This means a lower likelihood of humans finding out about their world.

Which could result in problems.

I think the CDA are aware of this, and any of the the higher ups are (it’s possible after all the CDA are also tools for power from someone higher up). Because like in the MIB movie mopre or less stated while and individual person can be smart… people are DUMB. The thing is the humans being toxic may have once had an increment of truth in it. Once. But it wasn’t questioned for a long time probably. Long enough that the threat in that area is gone. It’s just that everyone is all ‘Bam they’re toxic, oh and they’re just lower animals, not intelligent as we are at all’ and… people just accepted that when they haven’t been observing them for a long time. Did no-one ever question this? Did no enthustiastic biologist in their world ever feel the urge in the name of science to observe the behaviour or test the -cough- toxicity of this species in spite of the possible risks? Ever? I mean even seemingly smart people… ugh never mind. It’s almost like that special kind of ‘truth’ people never question for some reason. I can soprt of get that, there are certain things and beliefs which have existed in many societies for a long time and people have just swallowed. Even intelligent people.

Well maybe some monsters in the past did ponder the idea. Probably actually. And another fraction of those ponderers gave it a shot Or else monsters seriously have to look up the scientific method, which usually involves… trying to disprove the hypothesis. No matter what.

I think the CDA perhaps even started with honourable intentions in their own way… but things changed. Plus yes once they got a bit of power they wanted more. I think at the very least that many can convince themselves of the greater good, or at least want to believe it even if they are in on the whole humans not being toxic thing. Some WOULD be just wanting power, but not all of them. And even those now in it just for power now, most of them possibly were in it for a higher and better aim than that when they first started.

Plus they wouldn’t have to advise all of the people who speak out be institutionalised, people would do that to themselves probably from people who know they or other parts of society, because some of them would be crazy.

For instance, while I do see a few monsters definitly believing that Boo came in and it WAS a cover up… a fair few of those people would certainly be some of those who think EVERYTHING is a conspiracy.

I’m sure we’ve all seen or heard of the type.

The fact they’d have been right or have a point in THIS instance would not at all be impressive or something I think such people should be allowed to be proud over. You make over a thousand conspiracy theories with no evidence or extremely shoddy evidence at hand, you insist things are 100% true and had to happen when there is at best a POSSIBILITY and ONE turns out to be true? I’ll be in the corner clapping slowly and sarcastically you crazy-conspiracy-monster dude. You were more or less playing with odds there.Of course you’d possibly get it right once. That however does not mean that your methods of coming up with theories are not flawed or stupid.

You’re still acting illogically crazy-monster-conspiracy-dude. And crazy. That doesn’t change that. Being right once? Please, like that’s really impressive. And such people would simply mean more people would write off the idea as nuts before looking into it more. Because of your history. That sort of thing follows you. You’re not a rational skeptic or truthseeker, you’re just a FOOL. One who might have got it right one time from the lovely concept of pure and utter chance!

In the end unless the CDA thought they had real evidence or real weight, the CDA wouldn’t have to even bother denying it too hard. Simply deny it simply and move on. But not over and over because they’d want to show such ‘rediculous’ claims are not worth their time. Because after all only ‘crazy’ people could think that. You don’t want to be seen as crazy do you? Of course not. You’re rational, not like crazy-mc-loser-pants over here… did you hear he also thinks the CDA is putting survelliance equipemnt in his turnip garden? Do you really want to be associated with that person? Of course not. Because you’re sane and don’t believe this story. Unlike him This type of thinking means yes, more people would write off the idea.

They’re still looked up to as a protective body. They have a reputation of yes perhaps being heavy handed but that against a few citizens? Especially if a loud enough proportion of the citizens has a history for spewing random c***? It is to laugh. They have nothing to worry about from such people. And while others may concede to the possibility they may wait for more evidence or go looking for it themselves (and in that sense the CDA would be worried about such people if they have the ability to do so.)

People make idiots of themselves well enough without them discrediting them directly probably though. Just make the statement (that it was a hoax perhaps, it’s possible they pulled something else though) and move on. Let the crazies in the group speak out, as it means the whole argument is seen as rediculous.

The real actual ‘crazies’ will mean no-one will take it seriously. And those actually serious or are rational will usually be cowed by societal pressures or give up.

And when the crazies claim you’ve silenced a few of those serious people.

They’ll look even crazier.

Because once again, they’re possibly only right from the idea of pure chance if they’re right at all.

I once again, don’t see the CDA as pure and utter evil. But they’re possibly a pretty dark grey in some ways.

Of course this wasn’t the intension of the creators, to be sure, but it’s an interesting interepretation which could fit. I mean they’re not supossed to be dark grey at all, obviously. They’re supposed to be the good guys in the movie after all.

But I don’t think I can entirely take them that way.

Not completely in it for the power or pure evil really though some do like the power. I think certainly some members have good intensions and say while they may know kids aren’t toxic, have a feeling humans are dangerous in another way and they have to lie for the publics safety and own good.

Even at the cost of some individuals. I mean come on, it’s possibly many are swallowing things with a hint of truth in them too. What’s a few individuals lives being a bit messed up (or even… well gone) compared to an all out war between humans and monsters? The idea of that would be SCARY and would be a good starting point for many CDA members, knowing the truth, to at first rationalise their actions at least in the beginning if not for their entire CDA careers.

I think if caught at the right age or at least without thinking it through like this, a lot of people could get caught up in it.

I don’t think CDA members are born with some ‘evil’ gene or ar entirely evil at all but they are… just well… wow. Most of them are severely misguided and possibly try to rationalise their position as being ‘for the best’ with a few real rotten eggs thrown in. Also there is the additional/alternative possiblity of those using them as tools of power, who gave them their powers are said rotten eggs.

TLDR: In other words, I feel most of the members are normal people who seriously thinking they’re doing what’s right. Most of them anyway. Some would like the power of course. But I think even they in the beginning would have had good intensions to start off with even if they didn’t end up with them.

Edit: (Dear GOD I ramble too much on this, hence TLDR addition. Sorry guys. But I find the CDA as potentially fascinating even if it was most probably completely unintentional.)

Given how this case was blantant, public…it was “recorded”, like Mental said. However, given the possibility of a human getting out of a factory and into the monster world, given the several safety regulations (and that the doors can only be turned on with power and can’t be turned on on the opposite side, the human world), there could very well have been other circumstances that were disregarded for public safety.

Doubt people would laugh, it’s serious to them.

Ah yes, I forgot to mention that about Boo. She hasn’t changed physically AT ALL. Though I do admit that at least they got one thing right, that instead of being “sweet all the time”, that she can get quite violent in kid terms.

I might as well say something about this because NO ONE seems to understand what these issues of this comic book are…they are ONLY a story arc, NOT canon of any kind. If you read stuff like Sonic Universe or even the Sonic the Hedgehog comics from Archie’s comics…basically Monsters Inc Laugh Factory is just like that, a story that has no relation to MI but being a simple story on the side and techinically a story in themselves.

Also, the artist’s only involvement in the comic was DRAWING IT ONLY! She had nothing to do with the story, there was one writer for the Laugh Factory story arc and one alone!

The comic can only be purchased in a graphic novel format, Boom studios no longer sells the issues due to the fact that they sold out of them immediately after their release dates. A graphic novel is basically all four issues combined into one book. As far as Sid and his actions within the fourth issue, I’m afraid that you may have to see them and be the judge upon that alone, I have all four issues, both covers A and B and I can tell you for a fact that the only person whom Sid seemed to show any form of anything violent towards was ONLY Celia (my least favorite character so no love lost here) and even so, all he did was hold her down to the ground, nothing else. The only instance of showing no feeling towards pain was when Boo bit him but Sid can clearly feel pain because he does feel it when Celia’s hair lets loose.

I hope that clears anything up for you Pixarfan91.

The artist herself would beg to differ, PD, since it is SHE who insists that the comics are “extended canon”(HER words, not mine). While I disagree with HER, she obviously does believe that the comics are indeed a “sequel” to the movie.
I believe I did mention in an earlier post in this very thread something about her having an “extended EGO”, unless I’m mistaken.

pitbulllady

Just because she stated that doesn’t make it so…as far as she is concerned, to me she ONLY draws the comics and has NO involvement with the writing or direcction of the story to the comics…the only one I would be willing to listen to story wise would only be the writer, he wrote it thus he knows and understands the full story behind it…also, judging from what you state, all she said was based on nothing more but opinion and since these stories are just like story arcs written in stuff like Sonic Universe, it’s a story existing in it’s own version of the world, that doesn’t make it canon of any kind. Trust me, there are tons of stuff in Sonic comics that are NOT in the games because the canon of the games and the canon of the comics are two DIFFERENT complete parts of canon, the only similiarties they have is the characters and maybe the world. The Laugh Factory is the same exact thing. Also, she is a VERY talented artist and does draw VERY well so if she has a slight bit of an ego, I honestly feel that considering her artistic talent, she is entitled to it…getting jobs that are art related are very difficult to get into, let alone make it, I’m trying my hardest to get into computer animation but considering that my school has no classes in that field, the closest thing I can get that may help me is just my bachelor’s in studio art.

We’re only, at least in the comic issue, informing that it is a VERY lacking story arc and isn’t canon. Most people wouldn’t be aware of this information.

The story is strange but the art is very good.

I will at least, like I said before, give it that. Art-wise the comics are very well made.