If the monsters believed that humans were toxic, ...

Then why did they dint search for alternative sources of power?They were literally sending the scarers to a certain death, why not use nuclear energy or other kind of alternative source of power?

Interesting question. While I’m betting SOME monsters knew the truth, most wouldn’t and might not be sure to begin with, and even without toxicity there is a variety of possible risks.

Well there could be various reasons, one could be the idea that the monster world has countries. Some areas would have fossil fuels etc and some wouldn’t have as much (and that wouldn’t last forever), and if Monstropolis was in a country which wanted to be energy independent (which America and many other western countries are NOT today), they might have no other choice but use humans do meet that ambition. Plus as long as humans keep having kids its pretty ‘renewable’! Plus its clean if you believe the advert unlike fossil fuels.

Plus, while there are certainly areas they have developed like we have in the human world (agriculture, but it seems with different base wild plants compared to ours) they might not HAVE nuclear technology. I kind of doubt monster history follows ours PRECISELY, so it’s possible (just as an example) they never had a nuclear bomb or the situation of modern world warfare humans had for instance. In general nuclear energy… just wasn’t something they’d imagined having or have developed at all. Maybe.

Perhaps someone simply hasn’t come up with it, either not as much past research being the cause, or the simple fact no-ones put the pieces and findings together to do it either in theory or practice- the same for many other power sources perhaps which we may have- but they don’t have necessarily. They may be MORE advanced in certain areas (CDA weapons, portals… maybe medicine?), similar level in others to the Western world here, and LESS advanced in yet other areas scientifically speaking.

Monsters might not have the same options we have. I mean we don’t have the exact same options either- we don’t see humans going in to scare MONSTER kids to get energy. In the movie the human world doesn’t have that option. Nuclear energy might not be a choice the monsters have at that moment of time. The science exists of course, but no-one might have explored that area for a number of reasons. Nuclear energy came not instantaneously but by building on a lot of past science investigation and knowledge related to that area. It might simply not be an area they looked into as much as humans did.

They have the technology to rip holes in space (to get to our world!) but their computers… man they do not match up to that level, elsewhere, outside the CDA and THEIR weapons and things, in fact technology looks a little less advanced than it was even in 2001 here. Despite the fact they can apparently create portals.

I think they have fossil fuels, but not necessarily nuclear energy. It’s possible thought they may not have it.

And besides, that technology has its own risks too.

I’d like to hear other thoughts though. This is just off the top of my head. :slight_smile:

:smiley: That was a great answer mentalguru

I think that some kind of ecological disaster took place in the monster world when they were experimenting with nuclear energy and they are afraid of doing it again

OR

Some monsters biology dont allow them to live in a pollute enviroment , so they need to get the most clean energy that exist, so they collect screams

Another thing that bugs me is what monster would want to be a scarer? risking his life just for the sake of money, and i think they are not even well paid

Accidents or fears are possible, but accidents have happened here too really. Doesn’t stop them. Though if it was REALLY HUGE it would make certain governments rethink things and might make a certain government decide to use humans once that was discovered (I… wonder how they discovered it though.). Though I do think monsters have cleaner air than we do. Probably much better on some of my friends lungs (who have asthma).

Though given Mr.Waternoose’s age (he inherited the company at the age of 142 I believe), Plus general medicine might be better among other things extending their lifespan. Clearer air may even add the odd year or two. I think it would for humans in certain areas… (In fact on average, air pollution unless I stand to be corrected does reduce our life spans by a few months in some places, at least half a year of something like that.)

I’d kind of think being a scarer might be like being a firefighter myself- not well paid, but it’s high risk, they do an important job and they may even be viewed as ‘heroes’ by the local community. The general public would apprciate their work because its important. Not precisely the same as a firefighter (who directly saves lives), but energy affects a lot of things directly and indirectly, and it would be seen as an important job, one which would be done by brave people.

Electricity in the monster world is actually converted scream, hence why we see the whole “we light your city” bit. In such, who knows how much in application scream is used. It could also be used to make fire somehow, along with other utility sources.
However…electricity would make the most sense. I see scream perhaps similiar to thunder clouds, pack them together and they form an electrical charge. Making it in the fire sense seems…mm…difficult.

For “certain death”…yes Scareing has it’s risks, and people are told that right from the beginning. Hence why there are training courses and classes in school to prepare such individuals for such things.

Unfortunately, Top Scarer aside, Scarers seem to be paid minimum wage. About 4.75 if I recall. Of course how this converts for the time period given inflation/decrease, or what have you, difficult to tell what sorta bracket this amount falls under. But for most sense, lets say it ain’t that good.
Perhaps it’s because it’s tradition. I see Sullivan as the type to be in such a family where “the boys are scarers and take up where their fathers left off”.
Some perhaps do it for the admiration, being the ones who supply power to everyone and risk themselves to do so, like Randall.
Scareing has been around so long and much has revolved around it that it has become a traditional practice, and it’s applications are many. Perhaps one other reason…perhaps some think that scareing humans will keep them in fear of ever trying to mess with a monster, and thus, the world itself.

Electricity is electricity, regardless of how it’s generated. Here in the US, for example, we use a variety of fuels to generate useable electricity by powering turbines. It can be burning of fossil fuels, usually coal, or it can be hydroelectric(generated by water turning the turbines) or nuclear or wind-powered or solar powered. Scream energy would just do in the Monster World what those other sources do here-generate electricity by powering turbines. Scream energy would just not produce any by-product or residue that might prove harmful later on down the road, like spent nuclear waste or carbon emissions, and would not be dependent on something as fickle as the weather. Scream/Laugh energy also probably is not available in all parts of the Monster World, either, only in the most-developed regions. Monsters who do live in regions where Scream could be used as energy to generate electricity probably used to assume that it was an unlimited resource(after all, it would seem rather clear that humans were going to keep popping out babies on a regular basis), and never bothered to even explore other energy sources. It’s sort of like gasoline back in the '50’s-people assumed it would never, every be in short supply for any reason, and thus it was only like $.15 per gallon! I think a good analogy can be made between whatever energy source the monsters used prior to the discovery that the terrified shrieks of human children could not only be used to generate electricity, but could also be collected and stored for such use with the use of whale oil as an energy source before we discovered that store of natural gas and oil right beneath our feet. It just seemed to be so abundant and limitless and easy to obtain compared to whale oil, that it made whale oil obsolete, which was a good thing for the whales

BUT the OP has a good point there; Scarers WERE considered to be VERY “high risk”, in terms of their own safety and mental/emotional stability, which is why they were required(well, MOST of ‘em, anyway)to take mandatory vacation time to unwind. It’s also a very valid reason why one Scarer in particular had to have been a pretty easy-to-get-along-with and trustworthy individual when first hired, meaning that something had to have happend to change that. Y’all can be assured that any little indications of a problem with that Scarer’s personality and behavior before he was hired would have meant his resume’ went straight into File 13! The screening and application process for Scarers must have been one of the most rigorous, if not THE most rigorous, in the entire Monster World, and no matter how much latent talent an applicant had, if he/she couldn’t pass muster with the intense psychological and emotional screening and background checks, then he/she would simply have to look for another line of work.

pitbulllady

Also, if they need clean energy why dont they make a dam? its easier cheapier and they dont “Risk” any life

So what will happen if a scarer actually got touch by the child?

If dam-oriented power was enough to fill massive cities, humans would have already done it already to replace everything.

Scarers…in fact most monsters, the vast majority, believed (or rather were conditioned to believe) that touching a human infects them with some sort of toxin/virus that would essentially turn them into a glob of goop.
However, given C.D.A. response time to even a simple sock, the response time to a human interaction would be just as quick, and as aggressive. We all see that the mere mention of a human child was enough to detain several people (inflicting INJURY even, see Celia) as well as destroy and entire resturant.
Who knows what really happens if such event occurs. Probably very rare and no Scarer worth his lot would be stupid enough to do it. But if it did occur, the monster would obviously panic like no tomorrow. The C.D.A. would be called…perhaps they are “transported” to a special facility that handles the matters.
No…whether the monster returns or not…well…heh…we’ve see the C.D.A. cover up crimes…I’m sure somebody “dying” because of a “toxic infection” wouldn’t be too hard for them.

Very true. Hydroelectric energy is only feasable where you have large, powerful rivers, generally in mountainous areas. Not everywhere has the sort of terraine or river systems to support a hydroelectric dam, and even in places that do, you still have problems. Look at the political bickering that’s been going on for decades over the Colorado River, which via the Hoover Dam, supplies many Western cities with their electricity, including Las Vegas, but diverting water also has caused a serious problem for the farmers who depended on those waters for irrigation. It’s like the old saying goes, “you can’t have your cake and eat it, too”.

And I certainly don’t put anything past the CDA. They have, as you said, already proven that they are not above covering up for crimes, so anything is possible with them.

pitbulllady

Most likely because it costs buckets and buckets of $$$$$$$$$$$$