Monsters Inc./Looney Tunes Comparison

[url]- YouTube

I think the Looney Tunes short is adorable, and possibly that Monsters Inc.'s creators wanted to pay homage to it.

Your thoughts?

Pixar already has stated that they were indeed paying homage to the “Feed The Kitty” cartoon, in which the tough Bulldog faints repeatedly when he thinks that the kitten he’s been left to protect, relunctantly, is being killed. In Monsters, Inc., they pay such homage to many different movies and cartoons, including Armageddon, which itself paid similar tribute to The Right Stuff.

pitbulllady

Incase nobody knows, and I hope I’m right about this, this “Feed the Kitty” I guess was either a referrance to…

Randall’s mock threat of feeding Fungus to the shredder.

Or…when Sullivan sees “Boo” being mashed and mashed in the garbage compactor.

I think it’s one of those two, just wanted to clarify.

Heehee, when I saw the title of this thread, I knew it would be refrenced to this short, directed by my favorite animator Chuck Jones!

Anyway, I wouldn’t be suprised if they were influenced by Looney Tunes. After all, John Lasseter has in the past expressed his admiration for Chuck Jones. I wouldn’t be suprised if Pete Docter was a big fan too, after all he grew up when Looney Tunes were the kings of cartoons.

“Feed the Kitty” had nothing to do with Randall at all; HIS mock threat to put Fungus through the shredder was a reference to the movie, Fargo, in which Steven Buscemi’s character, “Carl Showalter”, DOES get stuffed into a wood shredder. “Feed the Kitty” was a direct reference/homage to the Chuck Jones 'toon in which a Bulldog named “Spike”, reluctunctly develops affection for a kitten that his owner has brought home, and feels compelled to keep up with the rambunctious and hyper kitty, and faints when he thinks he sees the kitten being harmed, just like Sulley does when he thinks Boo is being crushed by the trash compactor.

pitbulllady

You know, I’m not sure if I ever consciously put those together. Maybe sub-consciously. Now that its been pointed out to me, I do see it.

The last season of South Park there was also a big “Feed the Kitty” parody, between Cartman (who acted like the cat) and Chtulu (who acted like the dog). The music was same and their character expression. It just goes to show what this cartoon, which is nearing 60 years in age, still has a big impact on animators in the 21st century.

I still keep watching this comparison haha. The Looney Tunes cartoon was adorable and Monsters, Inc.'s homage to it was hilarious. I like seeing references to older works like that.

Which did you all see first: Monsters, Inc. or Feed the Kitty?

Oh, I actually don’t know. I really think Monsters, Inc, considering if I saw Feed the Kitty first I would have caught that reference when I saw Monsters, Inc.