Life Sized Monsters Inc Replicas

Hey guys, I just acquired the Mike and Sully replicas that came out as a promo during the films original release and look to be the same ones that Pixar has at the entrance to their studio and was wondering if any one else had these and how hard are they to care for. I heard they tend to fall apart after time due to the foam that was used.

Ah, those are quite well known! It seems every time there’s a lucky duck that gets to visit Pixar, they take their pictures by these guys. I think they’re one of a kind. However, this is my first time hearing that they fall apart! Thanks for this info, if I ever get to visit Pixar, I’ll be sure NOT to touch them!

They just came in today and I will be putting them in my toy room tonight. I will put pictures up as soon as I get them set up. I have to say they are a lot bigger in person. I think some people might have misunderstood my first post. The characters pictured above are from the entrance to Pixar as I’m sure most of you know, but I was just using them to explain what I was getting. There were multiple sets made of Mike and Sully when the movie came out that were used in different displays and things to promote the films and the set at Pixar is just one of those sets. I was lucky enough to get a set last week and had them shipped to me and was wondering if anyone else had a set and how hard they were to take care of.

Here is a picture I took with my phone. They were crazy big and took me all evening to get in my room.

So since my last thread had some sort of technical issues and you can’t view it anymore I created this one to show you guys what is definitely the pinnacle of my collection, the life sized Mike and Sully! They finally arrived at my office yesterday and I got them transported home without any issues. Had some trouble getting Sully in the front door but with some crafty maneuvering he made it in. However, we had to remove his head and tail to get him down the hall and into the toy room. My wife wasn’t exactly thrilled when she saw how big they actually are. Here is a pic I took with my cell phone and I will get some better shots up hopefully by tomorrow. I would like to remove them from the bases but I’m not 100% sure how to do that. Does anyone else have these and have you had any luck removing them from the base like the ones Pixar has at their offices?

Awesome!

How did you get these? :open_mouth:

It took a little work but I was able to track down a guy who had a set in Houston. He was a lawyer and someone that he did work for gave him these in partial payment. He had them for a few years in his house and then had to put them in storage for space reasons. When I found him he only wanted $500 for the pair but then once I set up shipping to Oklahoma City he decided that he just wanted to give them to me for FREE! So I only ended up paying $195 to have them shipped. I was pretty pumped.

I had no idea that these existed outside of the ones at Pixar Studios, which are exactly the same minus the stands, but I came across someone who had them on the internet and learned that the company Idea Planet made these for Toys R Us stores when the films were first released and they had contests at each store that had a set where you could enter for a chance to win them. Once I learned that I just started google searching until I came across a now defunct movie prop forum where they were being discussed a few years back and luckily one of the guys who posted was the guy in Houston and he put his e-mail address up for anyone that was interested. So I just emailed him to see if he still had them and he still did.

If anyone else is interested in trying to get a pair of these guys just be willing to spend a lot on shipping. I actually came across another guy who has a pair in New York. He was also asking $500 for the pair but shipping would have been a lot more from New York to Oklahoma, plus he was taking a long time replying to my emails. If anyone is interested in contacting him I can give you his email but I don’t know anything about this guy so just be forewarned. Definitely get him to send you pictures before you start talking $$$.

That would be great, but as I live overseas, the shipping would ruin me 8D

Yeah that definitely wouldn’t be cost effective, lol. I will be posting some better pics when I get some more time.

I have a set myself. I have been keeping Mikey in my den as he is small enough to fit on display, but Sulley has stayed in my basement. These are HUGE, Sulley is so large with the tail that you really need a large space to display him.
We have taken them each year for display at out local elementary school each Halloween. They have a large party and we allow the kids to get their picture with them. We have a hat along with a clip board they pose with. On average, we have about 250 pictures taken each year with them. You can get an idea of just how large these are with my daughter pictured below:

Mikey is in my den which has a very distinctive Pixar theme to it. :slight_smile:

That is really cool. I have been so busy moving into my house and getting ready for my first baby that I haven’t been on the boards. Tripoli, do you have any suggestions for caring for them? I would like to possibly remove them from the bases at some point but I don’t have any idea how to do that. Also, your Sully looks like he stands really well. Mine seems to lean forward a bit. Are you doing anything special to keep him balanced? Have you ever taken them apart?

Cool, what if they got destroyed?

The base for my Sulley was too damaged to use. I have set him up without it. When doing the Halloween pics, I use a white board to ti[p him back a bit, you can see it in the picture posted above.
Little kids want to always punch Mikey in the eye for some reason. Many of the Toys R Us sets were broken because of this. When we take them out, we are careful to not let the kids touch the eye. It is somewhat fragile and can break with a decent hit or pressure placed to it.

Wow those are insanely awesome wish I had a pair.

No Randall one? :frowning: I guess that doesn’t surprise me.

Wait what? I totally want a set of these. I didn’t realize us “regular folks” could acquire them!

Amazing, I wish I could have those in my room, if they’d fit. Can you still get them anywhere. Just in case any of you want to see, here’s some more photos supposedly taken at a Science Centre in Singapore.

Those are great, I’d definitely love to have one.

I wonder if they ever made a Randall one.

They should have done, it would have been cool to.