Roz as Head of CDA

In the same vein as my thread about Al McWhiggin possibly being a villain, I wanted your opinions on whether Roz is a villain or not. I was recently re-watching MI and noticed that while Roz was not exactly a likeable character throughout most of the movie, she became extra-cold once it was revealed that she was the head of the CDA (particularly through dialogue like “This never happened. I better not see any paperwork about this”). So, does this make her a villain or was she only acting this way because she wasn’t allowed to show any emotion? Also, do you think that on the inside, Roz was bothered by what happened to Boo?

I don’t think at all she was a villain. She was just a disgruntled employee.

Other than Randall (who you could also argue didn’t start off as a villain, just an arrog\nt employee) there is no villains in the movie at all untill Waternoose turns into one.

I agree. Although ,she must have a little bit of heart, because she let Sulley have 5 mins with Boo, Roz could have just taken Boo away and not let Sulley say goodbye to her.

I’m no so sure as much as arrogant as…well to Roz.

Roz is…well…“the law”. So heh, in some circumstances her actions might be considered “villainous” depending on the viewer. Some might consider her splitting up Boo and Sullivan and villainous, but it’s not. It’s her job. Just like it’s his job, and Randall’s, to scare kids. With her, it’s in the best interest of everyone.
Still…makes one wonder why Sullivan and Wazowski, along with Waternoose were NOT de-toxified like poor George. Afterall, such interaction with a child for so long would be essentially a hazard to anyone not wearing a protection suit.
gasp WAIT…does that mean some in the C.D.A. are aware that humans aren’t toxic? chuckles the plot thickens.

So no, I consider Roz as just a person doing her job. However…rubs neck Yeah Randall…she and the rest of the C.D.A. “overlooking” what Sullivan and Wazowski had done just does NOT sit right with me. Even if your not in the loop of understanding things where Randall is concerned, think about it…a vigilante crime was committed where there were CERTAINLY other options, especially when that person could contribute to putting away a more dangerous and influential individual (Waternoose).
Which makes me wonder MORE…DOES the C.D.A. want Waternoose behind bars or not? They certainly let a key witness get essentially killed (though he wasn’t) and did no such as a back slap of the hand…
There’s just…some other motive to Roz’s actions I think. I mean…the HEAD of the C.D.A. going under cover? Doesn’t that seem a bit…personal?

She’s defintely not a villian. Sure she’s grumpy and the law. But she’s not evil.

I liked that she was the head of the CDA, it was an awesome plot twist! Well, not really a plot twist, but nice little twist at the end!

I disagree; I could tell Randall was going to be our villain from his first appearance (and it wasn’t like I had reseached the film that much before I saw it).

Hmm. Wonder what gave that away…
The scales. The chuckle. The joke-misinterpreted as something personal. The music. His apparent different attitude toward them than others.
rubs neck

What was the joke?

Roz and the CDA rather fascinate me in general. I know it was probably story/movie mistakes, but they become, not necessarily villians to me, but dark grey protaganists. They’re willing to do whatever it takes to achieve their aims- though their aims involve still protecting the monster world as a whole, even if it meant sacrificing Boo’s potential well being (at best in their eyes, just an innocent animal, though I think they actually know what humans really are like) by letting Randall take her (as was the original plan), among other things. They technically want to protect the monsters from the human world, and well - though the idea they don’t actually view human children as toxic could mean they’re protecting the monsters from humans for entirely different reasons and delibrately keeping monsters in the dark for their own good.

Maybe they want humans and monsters to know someday. But now now given their actions so far. And it wouldn’t be hard to see why if they really do know more on humans than they let on as a group (or at least their higher ups and higher agents like Roz do).

After all, there would be the inherent risk (especially when humans were found to be equals) for monsters to want to REALLY see the human world and even meet humans on more normal terms. (I guess though it’s still possible they too view humans as mere animals but still, it would then beg the question of why they’d fear humans if they know they’re not toxic, and presumbly a lot more about humans than your average monster or even scarer on the street). I think lower level CDA agents still believed toxicty- but higher ups and Roz don’t.

Human’s finding out is risky I suppose you could say- especially at some points in history where humans knowing of another inhabited world which regularly visited us would result in mass hysteria- and it still would in some cases depending on who was the big cheese at the time among humans as well as what place society is in accepting things beyond the norm- which is always changing of course.

Besides, no good human parent is going to be all that happy with a monster entering their kids room! There’s also therefore their entire energy infastructure to think about too- it affects EVERYONE energy after all.

If monsters revealed themsleves it could result in many, many complications.

Roz is the head or top field agent in my eyes- she definitly answers to SOMEONE but she’d be well respected all the same. And Roz probably in general simply gets results- eventually anyway. The whole Waternoose thing though was pretty lucky.

You pretty much summed it up there. When you look at it that way, you can’t be too hard on the CDA because they were only doing what they believed in. And the only thing that keeps the audience from understanding their motives is the fact that we want Boo to stay safe.

I never saw Roz as a villain. I figured her demeanor came about because she was juggling a number of different things, as well as keeping her cover handling the company’s paperwork.

Besides, if she was really heartless, she wouldn’t have allowed Sully to say goodbye to Boo.