If the Monsters Inc. characters were sorted....

…by the sorting hat in Harry Potter, which houses do you think they’d be in?

I want to see what other people say before I post what I think. ;D

Sully, defintely Gryffindor.

Randall, Slytherin. Not bc he’s evil! But he is very cunning, and that’s the greatest trait of a Slytherin.

Celia, I picture her in Hufflepuff.

I thought Gryffindor at first for Sulley too but when I thought about it more he might actually be a Hufflepuff(although if he’s a Hufflepuff…Gryffindor is certainly his secondary house…he’s not remotely Slytherin or Ravenclaw).

Anyway, here is why I ended up feeling like Sulley is more of a Hufflepuff:

I think Sulley is more of a Hufflepuff because he’s actually a pretty easy-going guy. He’s not exactly as overbearing as a Gryffindor. He’s successful, but in a sense more in the way that a Hufflepuff is. He doesn’t actually go around bragging about it and seems to carry himself when it comes to winning more in the way Cedric did in Harry Potter(and Cedric was a Hufflepuff). Sulley does seem loyal and hard working and easy going personality-wise for the most part.

Gryffindors do have a tendancy to be more likely to brag about something(it’s one of the more possible negative aspects of that house that sometimes shows itself). Sulley never bragged, from what I recall…he even seemed to feel a little awkward when Mr. Waternoose would give him so much credit. He liked it but more in an awkward kind of way. Sure Hufflepuffs like winning, who doesn’t…but they are more laid back about it usually, at least more so than the other 3 houses. Infact sometimes I wonder if Randall would even feel as bad about it all if it wasn’t for the fact that it was mostly Mike and Mr. Waternoose rubbing in the fact that Sulley was higher on the scare record than him…it was NEVER Sulley rubbing it into Randall and making him feel bad. It was always other characters doing it.

Also, Sulley was pretty patient with Randall and that is another Hufflepuff trait. He tolerated Randall pretty well and would say things like “May the best monster win.” which is a very friendly more fair-play view of things which is associated more with Hufflepuff than anything else. Cedric came off that way in the Harry Potter series too…he was the elected Hogwarts champion in the 4th book/movie and carried himself in a similar manner to Sulley when it came to winning, just that I’d say Cedric was smarter than Sulley.

Considering that Hufflepuffs are more about fair play you would think that Sulley would find it unfair that he always wins employee of the month when there are other talented and dedicated employees at the workplace too…but I think with Sulley it’s more the fact that he just doesn’t dwell much on it. He just didn’t notice, I don’t think. He’s not exactly that smart when it comes to certain things like that and also not that smart when it comes to noticing the feelings of someone else. I don’t think he ever noticed how truly bad Randall felt about all of it. I actually think him and Randall might have been able to be friends if Sulley had been a bit smarter about noticing stuff like that because I do think Sulley is a truly nice guy who would want everyone to be treated fairly and a lot of the negative feelings Randall had for Sulley were made worse by the fact that Mr. Waternoose, Mike, and other characters would rub praise into Sulley constantly. It wasn’t really Sulley himself because Sulley never bragged about anything.

The only part of the story where Sulley seems to go against Hufflepuff nature was at the end when they punished Randall. That part just felt really out of character for Sulley…but I tend to feel like Sulley is influenced too much by Mike sometimes and listens a little too much to Mike. Sulley really isn’t the smartest character.

I think Mike is more of the Gryffindor character in the story. He’s more forward, tends to brag, motivates Sulley, etc.

I agree that Celia is probably a Hufflepuff or maybe a Ravenclaw.

Randall is a Slytherin, you are right. And yes it isn’t due to any ‘evil’ reasons…he’s just definitely ambitious, there is no doubt about that. Other than Slytherin I could potentially see him as a Ravenclaw but I still think he’s way more of a Slytherin. Ravenclaw would just be the 2nd choice because he’s definitely not a Gryffindor or a Hufflepuff.

I’d say that Mr. Waternoose is a Slytherin too…but he’s one that’s actually bad.