Disney buys Lucasfilm.

finance.yahoo.com/news/disney-bu … nance.html

With all of the money and resources Disney has, I wish they would use it to foster some unknown talent that is doing some amazing and exciting work. And I know it wouldn’t cost them four billion dollars, and they could profit greatly from it. But, hey, I know nothing about business, so doing such a thing may not make sense business wise.

I’m guessing the new star wars will be titled “Star Wars Musical”
8D

All joking aside, i’ve got a book here they could use in a movie. Of course I could dream big too. But still. You’ve got a point here.

I really wish a visionary was running Disney, and not some suit that’s good with numbers. And I REALLY wish they would set up a hand drawn animation section and do hand drawn films that aren’t really expensive. With the right movie, I truly believe it can make a comeback. I wonder how much bigger is Disney going to get.

I really would like a hand drawn section also! But hand drawn movies are expensive because of all the time it takes to draw and preproduction right? If they wanted to be less expensive perhaps they should hire new graduates or students still in school (coughmecough) with a lower pay rate since we’d do anything to get a job.

Yes. Hand drawn animation is actually much more expensive than 3D animation. We had a discussion like this on BA not too long ago and the reason 2D is more expensive than 3D is because you have your keyframers and tweeners drawing the whole thing out by hand so many odd hours a day. You have more of them than you do with 3D where you just have a few animators that set keyframes and the computer does the rest.

Wasn’t the budget on The Princes and the Frog half of anything Disney and Pixar has done in recent years when it comes to their CGI films?

Well when looking at wikipedia (bowl full of trust) The average cost of movies that are cgi produced by Disney (no pixar) seem to be 150 million. The Princess and the Frog was $105 million. Pixar movies are higher but I think that’s because of all the animators they have on board for textures. I remember watching something and Disney said that they had a modeler or two just for Rapunzel’s hair. So the more details, the more people, the more money it costs. But maybe the budget is lower for princess and the frog might be that had been working on it for awhile on and off so the money was spread out?

I guess it depends then on the studio.

I admit, I actually squealed when I heard this news. I don’t care what anyone else thinks, because my Star Wars obsession is at Pixar-level, and I think that together, Disney and Lucasfilm will be a match made in heaven. Disney and Pixar are like Peanut Butter and Chocolate, and Disney and Lucasfilm will be like Peanut Butter and Banana Sandwiches: my fave combos that involve PB! And the news of a Star Wars VII is astonishing and I’m beyond thrilled! SQUEALZ AGAIN BECAUSE OBVIOUSLY OWP IS INSANE BUT SHE DOESN’T CARE X3

I’m still not sure how I feel about this. And with Disney set to make more Star Wars movies, it could either be amazing or it could fail miserably. I dont see a middle ground here.

I really think they could do well. That’s what I’m hoping for, to show all my Star Wars fan friends how stupid they sound. Besides the prequels suck anyway. It can’t really get any worse.

I’m personally pretty happy with this decision, in all honesty. I think it could be good. I’ve got faith in them.

Pair up Episode VII with a good director (I’m personally betting on Bird), and we could have a truly worthy movie.

It’s been a dream of star wars fans form a long time that someone other than the guy who created Jar Jar and thought it was a good idea to make the empire fall after being attacked by friggin teddybears directed a movie in the Star Wars universe.
And seeing how the films are going to be placed after Return Of the Jedi, this means that now the Star Wars saga can have a decent ending

Also , now that Lucasfilms is owned by disney this means that they will have all the budget they need, which means that now the special effects will be even MORE awesome than they were before.

I put my hand on it. 8D

I agree.

I reciprocated the high five. I’m excited. :wink:

My mother’s cousin is actually an employee at Lucasfilm. He works in administration. He was kept on once Disney bought Lucasfilm.

He has an official Disney employee ID card, and can get into the park for free, or was it a discount? Either way, he showed it to me. Super cool.

I still refuse to see this as a bad thing, unless the movie’s terrible. But look at Marvel! The Marvel Cinematic Universe is way better than anything they did before the Disney buyout. Just saying(not that anything could be better than Star Wars Episode 5, but still.)

^I completely agree. See, if I was iffy on the newer Marvel movies I might feel less sure about this, but I’ve enjoyed everything they’ve been putting out since the buyout so I feel pretty reassured.

I liked Iron Man 3. Still need to see The Avengers but I can’t wait.

As for Lucasfilm, I think Disney knows what they’re doing. Their current slate, Pixar’s slate, Lucasfilm’s, and Marvel’s.

Not to mention Disney using Marvel to their advantage to make their own Big Hero 6, which somehow reminds me of my excitement before and during the time The Incredibles came out - it was out of this world, mind you!

I just hope the movie is so good it makes everyone eat their words.