Super Mario Bros.: The Movie (1993)

What do you think of the Super Mario Bros. live-action movie?

• It’s fantastic! A masterpiece!
  • It’s great!
  • It’s actually not that bad!
  • It’s an OK film, not a great one, though!
  • It’s bad, terrible, unethical. Period.

0 voters

Does anybody remember seeing this particular, “possibly rare” motion picture?

Yes, that’s right! :smiling_imp: The 1993 first movie adaption of a video game: Super Mario Bros.!

This film, btw, was released by Disney, but not the Walt Disney, Touchstone, or, even, Miramax Pictures! No, it was released by it’s lesser known mature-film division: Hollywood Pictures!

This film is basically…a so-so… Why do I say that? Because there are other several films that are far worse than this. In fact, if they took off the “Super Mario Bros.” title, it would probably be a bit better than what it was before! The acting is terrible, the effects (although a bit cool during it’s time) were indescribable, and the storyline, while original, was very stupid, silly and had nothing to do with the actual video game that it was based on! Heck, even the actors thought that it was a terrible experience for them, apparently because the TWO directors :open_mouth: were husband and wife, they kept arguing about things, with each other and along with Walt Disney. The studio wanted it to be kid-friendly, while they wanted it to be more adult (with deleted scenes featuring strippers :confused: ).

However, it is a film that can pass the time, even though it’s a bit of a waste. My brother and, apparently, movie critic Roger Ebert, think that the Goombas are cool, while I think they were terribly made, and many people who saw it when they were younger have the vision of them in there nightmares! The only thing good thing about this film, that didn’t make the game look screwed-up, was Yoshi. Yoshi looked like a real-life dinosaur and even had his long, wet tongue! Besides that, the rest of the film is kinda, silly!

The ending, however, hinted at a never-made sequel, with Daisy bursting into the Mario Bros. apartment and telling them that there’s something terrible happening…so, what is it?! We may never know…

So, anybody who wants to talk about the film may post there thoughts here! If they have any… :smiley:

Is anybody gonna talk about this film? I guess it’s too horrible for people to talk about :laughing:

Didn’t Luigi refer to Mario as Dad?

That’s about all I remember. It was pretty, fairly, really bad. :laughing:

I think the Nostalgia Critic has a great review: thatguywiththeglasses.com/videol … -the-movie

(Rated PG-13 for adult humor, language, and “references”.)

Oh, god! :smiley: Yeah, I remember seeing that, I saw most of his videos! I cen’t believe that too:
“They’re father and son … (ominous pause) … and brothers?” - NC
“Mario, has been my mother my whole life” - Luigi
NC drops VHS tape lol

No need to quote the post directly above yours. — Rachel. =)

Same creature designer would go on to do the American Godzilla. Says a whole lot about the adaptation decay in this and that awful film.

Really?!!! :open_mouth: I never knew that! I never saw that Godzilla film, but I’ve heard that it was bad and didn’t make Godzilla look good. :confused:

I’ve never liked this movie… they look so… un-Mario-esque.

Fun fact: the guy who played Luigi is the same guy who voiced Sid in the Ice Age movies.

The only time I ever saw this film the whole way threw was when it aired on DISNEY CHANNEL way back in 2003 or so. And, what can I say? This movie sucked. Real bad. The only reason I was willing to sit threw it all was because it had Mario in it… and I was 10.

I think the Nostalgia Critic summed up my feelings for this movie pretty well.

I’ve heard that this is the worst movie based on a video game ever…but again that’s just what I’ve heard.

Badger: I only liked it a bit, because, at least, it was a bit enjoyable, besides that, yeah, it’s basically more of a rip-off of Blade Runner, than a movie based off of a video game. By the way, I think that the guy who played Luigi (John Leguizamo), did a better job voicing Sid than playing Luigi. :stuck_out_tongue:

Mygames19: I found out about this movie on my TV guide, sometime back in 2003, and I was hyped up as heck to see this film, until I began watching it. :stuck_out_tongue: I was pretty mad about how they changed the original Mario story! Also, I believe as well, that the Nostalgia Critic basicallty told how I felt about this film, too. :wink:

1986: Ironically enough, it was the first video game movie ever made. :stuck_out_tongue: That’s a pretty neat honour, but that’s probably the only GOOD honour this film is gonna get. Also, I don’t think that this is the worst video game movie ever. There have been other worse films than this, which are far less entertaining either, like the Mortal Kombat movies and Doom. However, when you look at how close to the game these movies resemble, the Mario movie is pretty much the worst one to resemble it’s video game.

I thought the movie was good. It good enough to watch from time to time. I do wish i know what happens [spoil]when daisy shows up at the end of the film though[/spoil]

I’ve never seen it, but that film poster really unnerves me. :laughing: It looks like an amusing sort of film to watch.

I rather enjoyed this movie. People generally seem to not base their opinion on the quality of the movie itself but on the large amount it strays from the source. Considering the movie was made two years after the release of Super Mario World, this isn’t much source to go with. There were characters, sure, but no story other then “rescue the princess”. Do you seriously think a straight adaptation of the games would work?

The movie is completely absurd but it’s damn fun to watch and far more inventive then most source transfers.

So you haven’t heard of Uwe Boll?

And again, Uwe Boll.

SheriffChick: I agree about both things. I think, though, that Daisy was trying to tell them that Koopa wasn’t dead and had a brand new scheme to take over Earth. Either way, I would really like to know how it would’ve continued too.

lizardgirl: Amusing? :imp: Kinda. :stuck_out_tongue: Yeah, when I saw that movie poster, too, I knew that it was a bad sign. Usually, Mario games are always bright and colourful, but on the poster is darkness and basically dark blue colours. :confused:

Fett101: I did enjoy the film. I did believe that it was alright, even though, the source material wasn’t straight. I believe that it was actually a pretty original idea. If they had gotten rid of the title, and replaced some of the characters names, then it would’ve gotten more recognition, instead of a cult following. Also, I know Uwe Boll is a terrible director and makes the worst video game movies, but I have never played “Alone In The Dark”, but I’ve watched the film, so I can’t tell if it’s more irrelevant to the source material than the Mario movie. I can safely say though, that Uwe probably just put in a whole bunch of random ancient history into the movie, when the game is mostly a shoot-'em-up and nothing else. :unamused:

:open_mouth: Wow, I have that movie.

I will admit that this film probably wasn’t the greatest especially considering that Nintendo Power prefers to not speak of it. Even though it wasn’t the greatest and was actually very different than the games, I do enjoy the movie and watch it from time to time. My favorite character has got to be Yoshi, I liked the concept they had with him actually. Although, despite how bad the film was, it was the start for films being based off of videogames. Overall, it’s a pretty good film, not the greatest, but still pretty good.

I’ve only seen the Nostalgia Critic review. :laughing:

…Is it just me or does the actor who played Mario kind of look a bit like Billy Mays to you, in that particular picture? :laughing:

little chef

stares at Mario directly for a second

OMG! It is Billy Mays! :astonished: I wonder if people would run away from seeing this movie, after they saw that Billy Mays is in it? my brother comes to the computer and sees it, screams “OMG! Billy Mays!” and runs away :laughing:

Poor Bob Hoskins. Roger Rabbit was for naught.

It’s a good bad movie, and a bit of a guilty pleasure of mine. :blush: