Frozen (The Snow Queen)

A new hand-drawn Disney film is coming out sometime soon - I’m guessing in 2012, since they haven’t really said what they’re releasing then. Here’s some concept art!

[url]http://www.slashfilm.com/wp/wp-content/images/snow_queen.jpg[/url]

I’m always up for another addition to the 2D-animated pipeline. The Princess and the Frog has proven that the studio made a strong return to the classic legacy, so I have high hopes for this one.

Here’s a brief video interview with The Princess and the Frog producer Peter Del Vecho on Disney’s upcoming 2-D films, including The Snow Queen. The poster said it was part a documentary that he’s doing on the return of hand-drawn animation to Disney.

slashfilm.com/2009/12/07/exc … now-queen/

I remember reading something a few months ago about The Snow Queen being shelved.

Funny, I have friends who are doing an animated short of The Snow Queen as an origins story (how she became the villain) as their finals. :slight_smile:

I hope this project continues and doesn’t get shelved…

I hope it was just a rumor, which it might be. I’ll have to find the link.

Apparently, The Snow Queen is shelved for now due to Disney being unable to crack the script, but it is not dead. Don Hahn revealed that and more:

slashfilm.com/2010/06/22/dis … d-for-now/

NO! They better resurrect it. I want more 2D! :frowning:

Yeah, I was looking forward to The Snow Queen, too. Princess and the Frog was a nice breath of fresh air. But, yeah, I would love to see more 2D, especially after seeing the Tangled trailer. That looks just bad.

If they made it now, they’d have to give it a different title. You know, so as not to draw attention to the fact that it revolves around a female character (albeit a villainous one). How do people like the name Chilled?

Too bad. I hope this doesn’t spell the end of Disney’s plans to produce 2D films on a regular basis once again. I’d be pretty saddened if that were the case.

Guys, I think you are all overreacting. Hahn said that the film was shelved for the time being. The project is not dead, just in limbo for now.

For those who did not go to the link I provided, here is what he said on the matter:

“It’s actually been tabled right now…we don’t have the story. It’s a bit like Beauty and the Beast, which sat there for years…The Snow Queen we’ve had a lot of trouble with and I’ve spent years on it. I love it and I think it’s one of the last great fairy tales. It’s kind of crappy that it’s just sitting there right now.”

I can’t wait for this movie! I guess it’s replacing King of the Elves as the 53rd animated feature…and what happened to Disney giving up on fairy tales?

Chilled is good; Frozen is better.

I guess so. They could release King of the Elves in either 2014 or 2015 depending on when Disney is going to release Mort or the Mickey project. That is if those projects go though and aren’t cancelled.

Mort? Terry Pratchett and Disney? Please no. Terry Pratchett teaches things that are the complete opposite of Disney. You cannot mix water and vinegar. How could they dare try?

If I’m completely wrong about what Mort is supposed to be, excuse me…but when I put “Disney’s Mort” in Google, I got talk of Discworld…

It hasn’t been confirmed that Mort or Discworld will be made but it’s just a rumor.

It doesn’t matter whether it’s confirmed or not, the fact that Disney is even considering it is revolting. And rumors don’t spring up out of thin air. Someone inside the company obviously leaked that Disney was working on such a project. Yes, it is not confirmed that it will happen, because a lot of animated films that were planned are getting debunked, but it is confirmed that Disney has it on the table and is thinking about it. Otherwise there would be no rumors.

The upside to othis is that Disney might make Titus Groan into a movie. The downside is that they have not learned from The Black Cauldron. These type of movies do not succeed in animated form. There is a reason The Black Cauldron is generally regarded as the worst 2D animated film Disney has released. Movies like it just won’t fly.

I don’t think they gave up on Fairy Tales. Of their last 3 films, 2 of them were fairy tales.

It was the L.A. Times making up things that I read that about. Newspapers and magazines have to make up things to talk about in order to sell, unless someone named Kim Kardanshian does something to get her face on every magazine in the racks. Anyway, it was something that came out after Tangled, claiming that little girls weren’t interested in fairy tales anymore and that Disney was ceasing making fairty-tale movies after Tangled. They also said that did not apply to Pixar to make an excuse for Brave still coming out. But it was just a false story, apparently.

There’s even a thread about it on here.

Woody need’s to update the title, or we need to close this topic and make a new one.

Yeah, especially since Disney has pulled a Tangled and renamed the film “Frozen”. And speaking of the film I’m hoping that it’s going to be 2D.