Portfolio for the Disney company

Hey all, I had a quick question.

i’ve taken art classes a few times throughout my life, but mostly have taught myself to draw from watching the animated Disney movies. I decided sometime this year or next, I’d like to send a portfolio into Disney, but I really don’t know where to begin. I was looking at the Walt Disney Studios and Pixar websites, and tried to find info on it from google, but don’t really know what to put my works in…

For instance, should they be in a binder? a spiral notebook? I know what sorts of works to send, just not how to arrange them or what to arrange them in. Thanks so much, guys.

Hiya DPA113! Congratulations on deciding to pursue working for Disney/Pixar! Unfortunately the answer to your question is not simple. If you look closely at the job listings on the Pixar site, it has basic portfolio requirements, which are different for each job. At this point in the animation industry, the majors hire folks to specialize in a signle aspect of animation. These include off the top of my head:

Story artist
Technical Director
Animator
Modeler
Rigger

Of course people hired for one specialty do do other work, think of it as thier primary job. My point is that you need to focus a bit and decide where you would best fit in the animation process. If you are like me and love to draw, but also to tell stories with drawing, the best position to pursue in my opinion is Story Artist. These folks work with the director to actually “design” the scenes, including camera angles, timing - essentially creating the blueprint of a given scene. Only after the film is locked down in story can a script or any other production begin except for concept art.

That is a lot of words and I haven’t even said portfolio yet! So, let’s say you want to be an animator. Looking at the Pixar site, they want a 4-8 minute “reel” of your best animation on a DVD. That is it. They will be able to tell from just that short clip if you’ve got “it” or not.

My advice to you is to take a little time and determine what it is you want to do for Disney and then come back and tell us. At that point we can discuss specifics.

GOOD LUCK!

Hello DPA113,

Regarding storing your files/artwork, a simple binder with additional sheet protectors (to protect your work) should suffice. I use an Itoya brand, called Profolio, that holds 8 1/2" x 11" paper, the preferable size paper for portfolios. You can find this brand here:

Profolios by Itoya

As far as your artwork itself goes, a firm understanding of how the human and animal body works is essential, which is why life drawing studies are always sought after in portfolios. A library of various other skill sets (such as acting and photography) are also invaluable.

The Walt Disney Animation official website has a list of such attributes that they look for in potential employees, which you may read by clicking on the first question posted on this page:

Walt Disney Animation Studios FAQ’s

Although it is not required of you to be proficient in every single one of these attributes, it’s good to know several “tricks of the trade”.

The Sheridan College Institute of Technology and Advanced Learning has a very strict, albeit well-formated, list of the things they look for in a student’s portfolio. It is a good and helpful guideline for aspiring artists, and can be accessed here:

Sheridan Institute - Portfolio Requirements

I hope that I was able to assist you in some way. All the best to you in securing a position in the animation industry! :smiley:

– Mitch

you can look at my demoreel…If you want to:

patrikspacek.blogspot.com/

:laughing:

I would like to change my blog link to my Demoreel link, which is more about Disney portfolio. My blog includes everything like games and low poly objects and digital painting, but my Demoreel is just about Disney Art.

:sunglasses:

[url]http://vimeo.com/10053766[/url]

All of the posters above me have provided fantastic information and links. Once you go to an Art school or Graphic Design school they’ll give you all the information you need to know about setting up your portfolio.